autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

8 hours and almost done.

First I want to say, my whole body aches!!
    I spent the last 7 hours working on the exterior of my Explorer. Still not completely done!! Time was not on my side. I started at 10:30am and didn't stop till 7pm. Still have the roof to do, dress the trim and do the windows. This is my first try detailing with a PC and man, I'm slow!! I'll post some pics of what I've done tomorrow. It was too dark to take any pics.

Washed with DP 4-in-1
    Tires used PB BnB
    Wheels used NevrDul wadding polish
    Taped trim, emblems etc. That seemed to take my forever.
    XMT2/Orange pad, 2 passes on hood
    XMT1/White pad, 1 pass.

Still had a couple of defects on the hood that faded a little but still visible. Should've tried XMT3 but I didn't have much time.

XMT2/Orange pad on the rest of the body with 1 pass.
    XMT Carnauba Glaze/Grey pad. Stopped after that, as it was getting dark.
    I was planning on using PB EX-P instead, but since there was a chance of rain tonight, I decided against it.

Neighbors driving by slowed down to take a look at what I was doing. One asked me where I got the PC, and polishes. Told him about AG. Guy walking by said, "sharp looking truck". My wife noticed the difference from the house, and came out to tell me it looked real shiney. It definitely is a big improvement from what it did look like. But seeing everyone else's detail job on this Forum, it's still not good enough to me.

Since I had made 2 passes with XMT2 and 1 pass with XMT1, would it have been OK to try XMT3/Orange pad and then XMT1/White pad after all that? I was afraid that I would mess up the hood.

Sorry such a long post, but I wanted to share what I did on my first try. I'll post up some pics tomorrow. My hats off to you pro detailers, I don't know how you do more than I car a day. Time to grab the heating pad and head to bed early.
    Alban B-)
    2008 Ford F250 XLT 6.4L PSD, 4X4, SC, SB, Bedrug bedliner, Torza Trifold Tonneau cover, SS step bars / Dark Shadow Gray Metallic
    2006 Nissan Sentra 1.8S / Inferno

Post Thanks / Like
    Some Advil will fix you right up! yeah first details take some time until you get your process down. Hang in there you'll get it. You can do the XMT 3 on the hood with the XMT 1. Just reapply the glaze afterwards. What wax are you going to use as your last step product? The carnauba glaze will need a topper. Can't wait to see the pics! I"m sure it's smoking!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks FN! It'll be Aleve for me! I plan on using PB Natty's wax. Guess I'll wait for next weekend to tackle it again with XMT3. Thanks for the info. I was afraid that working the hood too much and then using XMT3 again, it would look like a DeLorean.
    Alban B-)
    2008 Ford F250 XLT 6.4L PSD, 4X4, SC, SB, Bedrug bedliner, Torza Trifold Tonneau cover, SS step bars / Dark Shadow Gray Metallic

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL Remember that the PC is incredibly safe and the XMT 3 has about the same cutting power as PB 2.5 so you will be fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck with the roof, the rook on Explorers/Mountaineers is a pain in the azz, has those indented grooves.
    The real WyStang:

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah! What's with those indented grooves? All they do is collect water! It's going to be a pain to polish between the rubber slats on the roof too!! Probably gotta go by hand and use the polish applicator that came with the XMT kit.
    Alban B-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by alban61
    Yeah! What's with those indented grooves? All they do is collect water! It's going to be a pain to polish between the rubber slats on the roof too!! Probably gotta go by hand and use the polish applicator that came with the XMT kit.
    I don't even bother on mine, I have a bottle of NXT that I only use on the roof (don't really care for NXT). And yup the roof rack is in the way anyway, so I don't even bother, yea I have swirls and whateverelse on the roof but oh well lol.
    The real WyStang:

Post Thanks / Like
    XMT# 3 is pretty mild so redoing the hood with it and following with XMT#1 is fine.

I too have an Explorer and do the top by hand. Last time I used AIO followed by AJ Trigger. I've also used AIO/OCW. Those LSPs are very easy to use. I am not full OCD, so I live with some swirls on the top.

I typically do the top on a separate day....to do the entire vehicle in one day makes for too long a day......

On the hood and verticals, I use XMT#3 followed by a polish...last time Prime and AJ Trigger. I've also used XMT#3, followed by XMT#1, with Maxwax as the LSP. Maxwax is so easy to use....and NB is a good choice as well....it's all good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Surfer and Waxmax! I'm not a full OCD either. Since I've already clayed the roof, I'll just use that bottle of NXT that I have laying around. Don't use it much either. It'll save me a lot of headache trying to polish around the roof rack etc.

I have the XMT Carnauba Finishing Glaze on as my topcoat right now because I didn't have time to use my Natty's wax.

(1) Is it OK to just leave the Glaze on till next weekend when I work over the Explorer with XMT3? Or is it important to apply wax now.
    (2) If I need to wax, do I need a AW 50/50 wipe before I use the XMT3 and PC next weekend, or can I just work with the glaze and wax already on?
    Alban B-)

Post Thanks / Like
    I know someone very well regarded here that doesn't even touch the roofs of SUVs. Up to you on what you want to do. To answer your questions, 1. Wax your car. Glaze has no protective properties and will wash away quickly. 2. Your polish will remove the glaze and wax on the hood, but if you still feel a little skeptical, go ahead and do a 50/50 wipe.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast