autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Removing Swirls By Hand

Is there a product that can be used to remove swirls by hand application? Between vinyl stripes, emblems, cleartastic fender/rocker protectors, etc., I don't have a large enough footprint to use a DA on most of the panels on my Vette. The doors are the only area that I can use a DA. The hood, roof and trunk are where I need it the most but cannot use there. I've heard that Meguiars and 3M have products specifically for this application. Thanks in advance for your input!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Removing Swirls By Hand

Megs M105 and 205 are designed to be used by hand also.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loudog2 View Post
    Megs M105 and 205 are designed to be used by hand also.
    The cars I work on generally are NOTORIOUS for having fingernail/wedding ring scratches in the door handle pockets (Mercedes S/E/C classes).

I've found even with the supposed 'tough' clear coat from Mercedes (which isn't as tough as most people make it out to be, most of my clients are Benz drivers as I'm preferred vendor for a local Mercedes dealership), a hand rub of some M105 and M205 behind the handles in these pockets will take out most light to medium scratches and lighten heavy ones (I usually just wetsand the heavy ones out as I used to be a painter and am pretty educated in that aspect) , so I'd say yeah...if it can remove scratches by hand on a Mercedes clear-coat, it should be perfect for your Vette's swirling with hand application

Post Thanks / Like

I used Ultimate Compound, Swirl X, M105, M205 they all work great by hand. Make sure you put some muscle into the buff and used back and forth and circular motions while buffing.
    Shawn
    Sully's Detailling LLC - South Florida
    www.autogeek.net

Post Thanks / Like

Can be done but your arm is gonna hate you.

Post Thanks / Like

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with these posts megs 105 and megs 205 great for the problem areas where a buffing pad just will not fit I put some polish on my finger tips and and rub the imperfections right megs works great for this

Mike Phillips

This thread shows that swirls or any below surface defect can be removed by hand...

1-Step versus 3-Step Process by Hand

It takes a lot of work and good technique because modern clear coats tend to be harder than traditional single stage paints. In the old days you could rub a single stage paint out by hand because the paints were pretty soft and the problem was very topical as it was oxidation. The primary problem with modern clear coats isn't so much oxidation but swirls, which are scratches, in the the paint and the only way to remove them is to remove paint surrounding them until you level or flatten out the surface.

Because the paints are harder it's more difficult for you and I to remove small particles of paint by hand.

That's one of the reasons I did the Man vs Machine article.

Besides the above, the machine always does the job better and faster.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all for the great info!! This helps a ton!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    This thread shows that swirls or any below surface defect can be removed by hand...

1-Step versus 3-Step Process by Hand

It takes a lot of work and good technique because modern clear coats tend to be harder than traditional single stage paints. In the old days you could rub a single stage paint out by hand because the paints were pretty soft and the problem was very topical as it was oxidation. The primary problem with modern clear coats isn't so much oxidation but swirls, which are scratches, in the the paint and the only way to remove them is to remove paint surrounding them until you level or flatten out the surface.

Because the paints are harder it's more difficult for you and I to remove small particles of paint by hand.

That's one of the reasons I did the Man vs Machine article.

Besides the above, the machine always does the job better and faster.

Mike, thanks for taking time out of your busy SEMA schedule to address my question personally. Also, it was great meeting you at the booth on Monday. I was the bald guy who asked you about the compatability of WG DGPS and Poorboy's Instant Detailers.

I do have a couple of questions after reading your above referenced post as well as the Man vs. Machine post. I recently used the WG Concourse system on my low mileage, garaged LeMans Blue Vette. The results were as expected... smooth as glass and very shiny. Unfortunately, the swirls I never noticed before, have been revealed, so thus the start of my swirl removing crusade. I guess I never noticed the swirls on my previous Pewter Metallic Vette (starting to miss that color). Anyway, below are my questions:

1. If I was to go the hand route with UC & Swirl X, would I be able to continue using DGPS as my sealer? Would I need to use WG Paint Polish Enhancer prior to sealant additionally?

2. If I did decide to go the machine route (I do own a Meguiars G100/PC7335), what pads and swirl removal products do you recommend? I would still need to do some areas that are small by hand and would like to consolidate products used if possible.

3. Meguiars vs Wolfgang Swirl Removing System - I have read your WG DGPS review as well as your 1957 Chevy Extreme makeover and was wondering which products do you prefer? I can't seem to make up my mind on that. You have demonstrated exceptional results with both. Is there a specific advantage using one over the other? DGPS will continue to be my go to sealant, so whatever is recommended needs to be compatable with that.

Thanks again Mike, you are an encyclopedia of detailing knowledge! Keep up the great work!