autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Horrible swirl marks!

In this shot here, where you see the zig-zag pattern just below the passenger's window, it's as though the person has no clue as to what they're actually doing to the paint.

Maybe they consider themselves to be an artist? Instead of removing swirls they put them in and charge more for it and call it shimmer?

LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Got all my supplies in and camera all charged, ready to start my detail and its cloudy outside! Go figure, my one day off and its the one day in Palm Springs when its overcast. lol

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Good luck with it, take your time and enjoy it, that colour is gonna look great when your done. Look forward to seeing it finished

Post Thanks / Like

I can relate to the dealerships so called artist in residence. I had to take my vehicle in for warranty repaint work. It was a cloudy day when I picked the car up (it was also inside). Next day when the sun came out the entire car lite up with swirl marks over swirl marks. When I took it back they gave me the line that it did not look that way when it was in the shop. They finally fixed it, after a couple of tries. After the 90-day cure time, I took it in for normal maintenance and door hinge replacements, they washed it. Currently searching for a good detailer for some work in the spring. Also, looking for a paint meter to find out how much clearcoat they took off. Its hard to locate anyone with a meter around here. Question?? Would AG or Mike be willing to rent out theirs for a couple of days. $695.00 for a one time use is very expensive. Again I can feel the pain.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MI Mike View Post
    I can relate to the dealerships so called artist in residence. I had to take my vehicle in for warranty repaint work. It was a cloudy day when I picked the car up (it was also inside). Next day when the sun came out the entire car lite up with swirl marks over swirl marks. When I took it back they gave me the line that it did not look that way when it was in the shop. They finally fixed it, after a couple of tries. After the 90-day cure time, I took it in for normal maintenance and door hinge replacements, they washed it. Currently searching for a good detailer for some work in the spring. Also, looking for a paint meter to find out how much clearcoat they took off. Its hard to locate anyone with a meter around here. Question?? Would AG or Mike be willing to rent out theirs for a couple of days. $695.00 for a one time use is very expensive. Again I can feel the pain.
    I went into a local auto body shop and explained that the dealership scratched my car and sent it to their body shop to repaint the panel. I asked if they could take a reading on my paint thickness and they were more than happy to check the paint thickness on the repainted panel as well as the rest of the car. I took less than 2 minutes and they made a potential new customer. Good luck
    [SIGWe PIC][/SIGPIC]
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle
    MAY THE SHINE BE WITH YOU

Post Thanks / Like

My mom VW SUV looks like this from the dealership. When I'm not so busy I have to take care of it for her.

I would apply WGPS by hand or with a red pad
    Shawn
    Sully's Detailling LLC - South Florida
    www.autogeek.net

Post Thanks / Like

Are you all recommending to the thread starter that he use TSR 3.0 via Orange pad then Finishing Glaze via White pad because of the severity of his swirls??? or simply because TSR/Glaze work best with this combo?

Reason why I ask is because I used a white pad for TSR then gray pad for glaze and that combo was sufficient to remove my swirls. Should I have gone with an orange/white combo instead?
    2012 Ford Mustang 5.0 - Kona Blue Christened name: MARILYN
    2012 Acura TSX S.E. - Silver Moon Christened name: TORI
    2013 Toyota Prius V - Blue Ribbon Metallic Christened name: PORTIA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    In this shot here, where you see the zig-zag pattern just below the passenger's window, it's as though the person has no clue as to what they're actually doing to the paint.

Maybe they consider themselves to be an artist? Instead of removing swirls they put them in and charge more for it and call it shimmer?

LOL

haha i was gonna say something bout how this one looks like some kinda crappy flame job
    Jesus

Post Thanks / Like

wow that sucks that they give buffers to people like that. I hope you got it for a really good deal . . . . . the thing is when ur done it will look like a new car

Post Thanks / Like

So since there was a dark cloud over the sun all afternoon I just decided to wash and clay the car. I was amazed that when I was using the clay I could see scratches in it. Took a few pictures after I washed it to try to get some good before shots. Amazingly at the gas station I noticed was less swirl marks. I'm getting excited about finishing it up tomorrow and getting some more photos since the sun should be shining.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast