autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Microfiber Drying Towels - Best and Boiling Towels

You washed them with your wax removal towels and now they are not as absorbent. Never Ever wash WW Drying towels with anything else !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mirror Detailing View Post
    I have some of the BLue waffle ones and to be honest they suck. I can dry a car faster(about 75% faster) with a old school shamcloth.
    I totally agree. . This is the only lousy MF I ever bought. I got them on BOGO and they werent worth it. IMO the HD Guzzler is by far the best of all AG WW MF's!
    Cant speak to boiling.

Post Thanks / Like

I made the mistake of washing my Sonus Der Wonder drying towels with my wax removal MF's. Ever since, they just dont seem to want to soak up any liquid. Before I did that, they worked great!

As for washing my towels, I use about 1 ounce of Dawn for a standard medium load on hot water. I let them soak for around a 1/2 hour before start the cycle. When the rinse cycle comes, I add 1/4 cup of distilled Vinegar. I really dont know if the Vinegar helps or not for the structure of the MF, but it makes my bath towels really soft compared to a normal wash and rinse. I was told many years ago that soaking towels in 1/4 cup of vinegar per 5 gallons of water, will make them more obsorbent. I dont dry my MF's in a dryer, I hang dry them.

Does anyone know if the vinegar does harm to the MF's?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wax Gorilla View Post
    You washed them with your wax removal towels and now they are not as absorbent. Never Ever wash WW Drying towels with anything else !
    Guess I need to get some new drying towels and learn from this mistake. I figured wax is stuck on to them since I washed everything together. I soaked the towels in hot water with very strong dilution of micro restore for several hours. I thought micro restore would remove the wax making my towels usable again...guess not.

Post Thanks / Like

White Vinegar will not harm the towels and may help rinse out and emulsify carnuba based wax products.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    Can you send a link from a Korean factory about this?
    Sorry I missed this post (and I hope I don't come off as arrogant). I wish I had direct contact with Microfiber factories, I'd be distributing and creating my own blends. My first voice of credit would be when AdamsPolishes first hit the DetailCity forums in which they warned everyone to boil their MF for added benefit after receiving them. Second would be Pakshak, I THINK at one point Ranney was recommending you boil your MF as well. This all has to do with the contamination that may occur during the transportation process.

Boiling seems like alot of work and a scary procedure. When the idea first hit Autopia it was a response to the deterioration or build up of detergent/chemicals in waffle weaves from respected distributors. While MF absorb alot of chemicals and particles, they have to release these to continue to be effective. A free rinsing/free detergent helps this, as well as HOT water in the cleaning process. Adding White Vinegar in the rinse cycle helps to release extra chemicals/detergent (plus its been an age old added process in the past). Try this, if you've ever had high quality MF's at one point that slowly reduced their absorbing ability and almost "bead" water. Boil them for 15 minutes. Water boils at 212 F and these MF like cotton can take alot of heat. However do not forget about them and let all the water evaporate. You'll have a hilarious situation with the fire department.

Do NOT dry your microfibers on high, it creates static electricity that will ruin the absorbency of the MF. Don't ask me how I know.

Just try boiling with some good MF for 15 minutes and let us know your results.

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen some towels shrink or lose their shape in hot water. Colored ones will definitely run. Although care labels usually say use warm water, I cannot find a towel maker say it should never be done. I did see a post from Rubbermaid about their microfiber mops and they recommended around 160 F water if I recall which is higher than what most water heaters are set.

If someone wants the boil them, the best procedure is to boil some water, remove the stove, and then soak. Yes, it will not be a constant 212 F but definitely safer.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Just call me Mr. Mom
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I have really held back with this discussion. But I have to add my 2 cents. IMO, I would NOT do this with a MF towel that is in good shape and no issues. I WOULD try this if the towel's abilities have been compromised. Meaning, if it wasn't as absorbent, not as soft, or was shedding fibers. It might very well get more useful life from your MF and as expensive as they are, it just makes sense to do whatever you can to save them.

I have some MF that needs some help... I am going to give this a shot and see what happens. I will let you know the results.
    Last edited by Racin10s; 03-27-2010 at 04:36 PM. Reason: spelling errors

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by forrest@mothers View Post
    Somehow through all my browsing the AG store I have missed that towel altogether, I may have to give it a try.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678