autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Microfiber Drying Towels - Best and Boiling Towels

Thanks Mike.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for clearing that up. I've been using "warm", but next time I will try "hot"

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    I've never boiled microfibers in my entire life. Sometime I'll start the wash cycle over again after the first rinse cycle and on both cycles use hot water.

I had put my car towels used for washing, detailing and occasionally towels used for final buffing on newly waxed areas of my car. For a long time I put the towels in the washing machine with hot water and various liquid detergents - that worked fine on the towels.

However there was that day where the wife dragged me over to the washing machine and pointed out that the inside of the machine was covered with a layer of dirty looking wax! The wax came off the towels and most rinsed out with the water but gradually over time thin layers of wax built up inside the entire washing machine. It was a pain in the _____ getting the hardened wax out of the machine.

That incident also remined my wife that our washer and dryer were getting up there in age and ultimately let to buying a new waher and dryer! So, proceed with caution when you wash towels that may have wax on 'em!

Post Thanks / Like

Green waffle weave guzzlers; They are the ultimate!!!!!!!!! I always wash all my microfibers with gentle fragrance free HE laundry soap in the washer with hot water, extra rinse cycle and let air dry. No problem!!!
    Signature Car Care... Authorized CQuartz Finest Installer
    http://www.signaturecarcare.com/
    "May the shine be with you" Uncle Stu

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using either cold or warm water for the wash (along with Pinnacle MF wash) and the delicate/cool setting on the dryer all this time.

I thought you had to baby these MFs in order not to have their fiber structure melt or harden or whatever.
    James

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi
    Do you guys wash these microfiber drying towels every time after you use them?. I do. I wash my Guzzler HDs in cold/cold with DP microfiber cleaner but I don't know if this is good or not or do you think it is better to rinse them in clean warm water after every other use and air dry?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bimmerfan View Post
    Hi
    Do you guys wash these microfiber drying towels every time after you use them?. I do. I wash my Guzzler HDs in cold/cold with DP microfiber cleaner but I don't know if this is good or not or do you think it is better to rinse them in clean warm water after every other use and air dry?
    Most microfiber care labels usually say warm wash / low heat dry. If your towels are absorbent and clean, your towels will probably last longer.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

And when you use DP Microfiber cleaner in the washing machine, you're supposed to only put water + DP soap, right ? No other soap ?
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheGLL View Post
    And when you use DP Microfiber cleaner in the washing machine, you're supposed to only put water + DP soap, right ? No other soap ?
    Thanks.
    Right. I used 2 to 4 ounces per the directions on the bottle.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Mike Phillips

I've washed a zillion microfibers on the hot setting and never seen anything melt. Hot water helps to soften dried up crud as well as helps your choice of soap or detergent to do it's job better.

I can get my hands cleaner after changing a dirty start motor out of an old Ford using soap and hot water than I can using soap and cold water. (Chevy starter motors never go out so I had to use the Ford analogy).

Of course, most home water heaters can be adjusted for water temperature so that's a factor that can affect how hot your wash water gets.

It's important to do what you can to get your microfiber towels clean but don't get to D.O. over it, I've worked on a lot of very nice paint jobs using microfiber polishing cloths the are simply washed and dried over and over and over again.

Here's a tip...

I'm sure you all do this but just in case, before adding your microfiber polishing cloths to the washer, first set the water level a little lower than you need. Next add you soap or detergent and let it thoroughly mix with the water after the fill level for the setting is reached. This applies to liquid soaps and detergents too....

Now after the soap and water solution have thoroughly mixed... now add your microfiber polishing cloths and then reset the dial to the water level you actually want for the size of the load you're washing and also reset the time to maximize the washing or agitating cycle.

Don't simply put your microfiber polishing cloths into the washing machine, dump in the soap and then close the lid and walk away. By the time the soap completely disperses into the water and creates a thoroughly mixed-up washing solution the washing cycle could be mostly over.

Take a few extra minutes to create a powerful cleaning solution, then add your microfiber polishing cloths and then reset the time for the right amount of water and maximum time for agitating/washing.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast