autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Quick detailers, what are the favorites and why?

Quote Originally Posted by Da Fats View Post
    So if QD'rs are not so healthy how do you guys feel about ONR washes?
    Use a hand pump sprayer to saturate the car with ONR before washing with ONR. This is of course after I take it to the coin operated wash, to get the major stuff off.
    Last edited by loudog2; 10-16-2009 at 03:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ASPHALT ROCKET View Post
    Either leave it till your next wash or wash it if it bothers you.
    I use a QD after washing. Then for the most part leave it til the next wash, unless it hasn't left the garage yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Hang on.

• If you use a quality QD...
    • applied generously (in order to soak/surround the dust/dirt particles with lubricants)...
    • with a thick/quality MF (ie Cobra Supreme 530),...
    • being careful not to apply any real pressue (simply move over finish and whatever gets removed gets removed/ whatever doesn't waits till a full wash)
    You're saying that swirls are inevtitable?
    I know the likeliness of inflicting swirls will be influenced heavily by the car's level of soil, and the hardness of the paint/clearcoat, but I think that a QD can be applied safely without causing damage that'll need correction later.

I've been QDing my new black car a few times weekly, inbetween weekly washes, and have not noticed swirls popping up. Dunno if Toyota's finishes are particularly hard and resistant to swirls but there you have it.
    James

Post Thanks / Like

When i had a black car i used megs UQD, cheap, available, and it leaves a thin layer of polymers that repel water pretty well. Felt like i was preserving the wax on my car longer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MotorCity Honda View Post
    The above practice is a sure fire way to create swirls in your paint finish....

Before contracting my services, all of my customers with garage queens used to do the same thing you described after a drive...

All of their garage queens were squeaky clean for sure but riddled with swirls from wiping it down when dust / dirt was on it...

The only thing I use QD's for is a drying aid or in between coats of wax when applying multiple coats

waterless wash solutions an quick detailer solutions are almost the same thing.

and i know what your talking about because i have my car parked next to the said "Garage queen" that gets wiped down after every drive without any form of quick detailer or waterless system.

but im not talking about a ton of dirt on the paint, just talking light dust that is collected after it sits for a couple days. i did a quick check of the surface with a light to check for scratches in one area, went for a drive, came back, sprayed the area to saturate the dust that had accumulated, then wiped it off gently with a microfiber towl that had a couple of sprays to prime it. and it soaked up the dust immediately and left no new scratches or light marks.

so i do believe that used properly you can remove light road dust from the vehicle without having to bust out a couple buckets and gallons of water..... but there is a big difference between dirty, and dusty.

dirty cars shouldnt be waterless washed or quick detailed with a good lubricating solution, they should be washed....dusty cars can be cleaned without, when done properly.

Post Thanks / Like

Let me let you on in a secret...
    I buy Lucas Spray Mist detailer
    This stuff is great. In my opinion the best you can get locally (Advance Auto Parts carries them)
    Dries without streaking, is slick, good on chrome, and glass as well, you can use it on wet surfaces or dry
    Lucas Spray Mist and it's dirt cheap, but as I said, it's a keeper in my book...
    -Goose
    2007 Avus Silver Audi RS4
    2018 Black Redline Edition Chevy Silverado

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TurboToys View Post
    waterless wash solutions an quick detailer solutions are almost the same thing.

and i know what your talking about because i have my car parked next to the said "Garage queen" that gets wiped down after every drive without any form of quick detailer or waterless system.

but im not talking about a ton of dirt on the paint, just talking light dust that is collected after it sits for a couple days. i did a quick check of the surface with a light to check for scratches in one area, went for a drive, came back, sprayed the area to saturate the dust that had accumulated, then wiped it off gently with a microfiber towl that had a couple of sprays to prime it. and it soaked up the dust immediately and left no new scratches or light marks.

so i do believe that used properly you can remove light road dust from the vehicle without having to bust out a couple buckets and gallons of water..... but there is a big difference between dirty, and dusty.

dirty cars shouldnt be waterless washed or quick detailed with a good lubricating solution, they should be washed....dusty cars can be cleaned without, when done properly.
    Winna winna: chickn dinna!

Well put.
    James

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345