autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Silicone

Post Thanks / Like

Silicone

Hello,

I read some products have silicone and that people are against using it. A friend of mine that works in a body shop said that silicone can be hard to get off paint and cause fish eyes in the paint. I'm sure this is true but my question is:

How do you know what products contain them and which don't. I've seen a couple labels that state "contains no silicone" but none that say "contains silicone"

I currently have dp maxwax, collinite 845 that I use and a bottle of liquid glass and a bottle zymol cleaning wax from my pre-auot geek / reading review days. do any of these or other waxes contain silicone?

I use armorall on interiors a lot of times. does that have silicone? I forget the name of the mothers product I use for exterior trim but does that possibly contain silicone?

thanks for the help guys!
    Peter's Detailing

-2001 Chevy 2500 Suburban

-1994 Chevy S10

-1989 Baja 240 Sport (454 BBC)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Silicone

Quote Originally Posted by Peabo View Post
    Hello,

I read some products have silicone and that people are against using it. A friend of mine that works in a body shop said that silicone can be hard to get off paint and cause fish eyes in the paint. I'm sure this is true but my question is:

How do you know what products contain them and which don't. I've seen a couple labels that state "contains no silicone" but none that say "contains silicone"

I currently have dp maxwax, collinite 845 that I use and a bottle of liquid glass and a bottle zymol cleaning wax from my pre-auot geek / reading review days. do any of these or other waxes contain silicone? I use armorall on interiors a lot of times. does that have silicone? I forget the name of the mothers product I use for exterior trim but does that possibly contain silicone?

thanks for the help guys!
    I'm not sure, I don't think maxwax has silicone. Armor All is loaded with it...

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure, I don't think maxwax has silicone. Armor All is loaded with it...
    Thanks Sparkie! I've never read where anybody used it on here so thats what I was afraid of. Would you recommend a product as a finish/protectant for the interior that doesn't have silicone?
    Peter's Detailing

-2001 Chevy 2500 Suburban

-1994 Chevy S10

-1989 Baja 240 Sport (454 BBC)

Post Thanks / Like

Silicon is not a bad thing, yes in a body shop it is bad b/c of fish eyes if you paint over silicon or oils. But, for everyday silicon is nothing to be afraid of or even have on the paint. Any decent painter that does a decent prep will clean the car with a solution to rid the silicon, and it is not that difficult to get rid of. So unless you are working in a body shop then you have no worries using silicon or having it in your wax's and such has no negative effects on anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Peabo View Post
    Thanks Sparkie! I've never read where anybody used it on here so thats what I was afraid of. Would you recommend a product as a finish/protectant for the interior that doesn't have silicone?
    Good question, I know in the world of detailing a lot products has silicone. I really can't explained the differents in good and bad silicone products. Instead of the use of Armor All, I use DG#201 and 303 products. I think both has silicone in them, but it's the better type silicone. Hope this helps....

Post Thanks / Like

I suspect that if we were to eliminate detailing products that contain silicone, we wouldn't have many left to play with. Say goodbye to synthetic sealants, most quick detailing sprays and interior dressings. As Dom Colbeck of Dodo Juice has stated, "Advanced silicones are probably the greatest aid to modern high-performance detailing yet the most commonly maligned, due to some historic issues with the forefathers."

Post Thanks / Like

their are good silicones and bad silicones .... much to much more effort is spent on discussing silicones versus sticking to the best products money can buy and more importantly products you actually like.

Scott