autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

best post polish dust remover/cleaner?

noticing how much the dust from polishing loves to stay on the car after working with it.

i dont want any of it to accidentally get caught up in the sealant stage, and ive tried to use a couple of different things.

QD, used a local quick detailer spray, and when using it, it almost looks like it leaves a haze that has to be polished out, possibly the "gloss" enhancing things in it causing that look?

also tried a very thin solution of z7 car wash and water, almost less than a claybar lube solution, but around the same.... and it does almost the same thing, leaves a slight haze behind that cant be rubbed off, has to be polished out.

im looking for some ideas for something to clean the car with so i can be ready to put the sealant on and work from there! thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: best post polish dust remover/cleaner?

Just give it a good wash and then IPA wipe down before sealing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TurboToys View Post
    noticing how much the dust from polishing loves to stay on the car after working with it.

i dont want any of it to accidentally get caught up in the sealant stage, and ive tried to use a couple of different things.

QD, used a local quick detailer spray, and when using it, it almost looks like it leaves a haze that has to be polished out, possibly the "gloss" enhancing things in it causing that look?

also tried a very thin solution of z7 car wash and water, almost less than a claybar lube solution, but around the same.... and it does almost the same thing, leaves a slight haze behind that cant be rubbed off, has to be polished out.

im looking for some ideas for something to clean the car with so i can be ready to put the sealant on and work from there! thanks
    I also wash the car after the polishing stage, dry it and apply my lsp.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ASPHALT ROCKET View Post
    I also wash the car after the polishing stage, dry it and apply my lsp.

ok, sounds good, just didnt want to get any unwarranted scratches on it though.... gonna be tough now that it snowed last night too haha.. anyone ever do ONR instead of doing an actual wash?

Post Thanks / Like

I use a power washer to spray it down, and re-wash it.

Post Thanks / Like

I often rewash ... Menzerna Finishing Spray is nice to guage work while polishing to assure proper correction too.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    I often rewash ... Menzerna Finishing Spray is nice to guage work while polishing to assure proper correction too.

but what KIND of spray is best to use? ill try my zaino z6 tonight, but im assuming im going to see the same thing as the other QD and wash solution. a slight haze formed because there is something in it, not just a cleaner.

the finishing spray is a cleaner spray or a gloss enchancer spray?

Post Thanks / Like

Menzerna Finishing Spray is more like an Iso Wipe. Its meant to be used while polishing to remove any fillers or other items and assure polishing is done correctly. I use it to spot check panels while polishing. I rewash before applying the LSP to assure all dust/dirt/polish is gone from surface.

As for a general dust spray, I actually using and like Finish Kare 146 currently.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

sounds good, thanks for the input, ill probably pick up some finishing spray and see how it works, and probably some IPA today to do a 50/50 mix and see how it works on the surface.

odd thing, but see if you can answer this, cause i dont have a clue really...

after polishing with and Orange lc pad with m105 to remove deep scratches and swirls, ill have a slight amount of hard residue left, and when i attempt to remove it with a spray, the area turns whitish like its just not all coming off. but after polishing with a gray pad and m205 to finish it out, i can spray with the same stuff (detailer spray or auto glass cleaner, or car wash and soap claybar mixture) and it wont leave any streak or extra mess.

is this because of some residue left? because i can spray it when there is nothing on the surface left from the heavy cut compound and it still does the same thing on what appears to be a clear surface, but wont do it after the final polishing.

Post Thanks / Like

M105 is a pretty abrasive polish and generally is breaking down swirls and marks with non-diminishing abrasives. Some suggest its darn near finish quality. I dont buy it for a second. We used it side by side with Menzerna SIP and all three preferred the gloss and reflection of SIP. Now I dont pretend to know what residue could be left, but certainly the Menzerna Finishing Spray or rewash should remove anything left over. The moral of my rant is that after using 105 with an abrasive pad like the orange pad, you will definitetly need to use a finishing polish and lighter pad to truly "finish" polishing. M205 is nice, and actually Menzerna Nano and Menzerna 085rd both worked extremely well with M105.

Scott