autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Help with selecting respirator and ratings

So I read the dangers of detailing thread and have come to the conclusion that i should use a respirator just to be safe. I have been looking at respirators and filters and my head is starting to spin. I am looking for one that would protect against compounding dust, sanding, product dust and diluted chems like megs APC. You know, a mask good for the exposure involved in detailing cars.

I had looked at the 3m 7182 but I cant find it in store anywhere to try on or with a established online retailer. (would like to avoid a lot of hassle if it doesnt fit and need to return). That Megs APC is good stuff but it really messed with me the first and only time I have used it thus far (waiting to get a respirator).

Someone please help me.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help with selecting respirator and ratings

I personally haven't seen a detailer wear a mask so unfortunately I'm not the one to chime in. You're right as far as all the masks out there to choose from. It makes my head spin just thinking about it. Good luck.

Colin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol View Post
    So I read the dangers of detailing thread and have come to the conclusion that i should use a respirator just to be safe. I have been looking at respirators and filters and my head is starting to spin. I am looking for one that would protect against compounding dust, sanding, product dust and diluted chems like megs APC. You know, a mask good for the exposure involved in detailing cars.

I had looked at the 3m 7182 but I cant find it in store anywhere to try on or with a established online retailer. (would like to avoid a lot of hassle if it doesnt fit and need to return). That Megs APC is good stuff but it really messed with me the first and only time I have used it thus far (waiting to get a respirator).

Someone please help me.
    Go to a body shop and see what they are using and where to get it.

Post Thanks / Like

Just go to a 3M supplier which is usually an automotive paint store and they should have it. If they don't just ask the salesperson and they should be able to order it or tell you where you can get it. Tell them to order both so you can try them on. Other than that you can go to Lowe's and get the disposible ones with the breathing valve in the front in a ten pack. Just make sure it's the particle mask. It's not as effective as the 7182 but it's a lot better than nothing.

Derrick

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought the 3M 6200 from Home Depot and love it. I use it for cleaning with chemicals in confined spaces and it works great. It is reusable and works with a few different filter types, and is very low maintenance (wash it every once in a while). It's cheap enough and fits pretty well with quite a bit of adjustment.

Post Thanks / Like

Have a look around on this site they carry all kinds of Body shop supplies.Levine Automotive Autoxray Code Scanners, Touchup Paint, Truck Lite...
    Lamborghini Broward

Post Thanks / Like

I use this one in my wood working shop. 3M 7502 with the 2097 filters in it. It keeps the fumes from a certain instant glue I use from getting to me that other respirators couldn't.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, This is my first post here. I have been lurking for a couple of years. I have learned alot by others questions. I am a novice detailer but I have knowledge about respirators. The respirator you would want is a half face model, 3M makes one. You would need 2 different cartridges for your usage. Compounding dust is a particulate so you would need a HEPA cartridge. The APC and other chemicals you would probably need an Organic Vapor Acid Gas cartrige. You can get stackable cartridges, that means one cartridge locks into the other. By stacking cartridges you are protected from both particulates and the organics at the same time. Have you had a Pulmonary Function test to make sure your lungs are capable of handling the respirator. Any Occupational Medical Clinic can do a PFT.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

After experimenting with some cleaners this weekend, I'm ordering respirator. For the first post, amazon is a good online place to purchase with 0 hassle on returns.

Next, after digging, I'm trying the 3M R-7512ES

It's supposed to be designed for Organic Vapor. I saw the above comment about the OV Acid Gas cartridge so I decided to go to the source.

I called 3M Tech support.
    Technical Assistance 1-800-243-4630

They mentioned if you were using a pure concentrate of HF they have a filter designed just for that. However, with cleaners & such like I was describing, they indicated the 3M R-7512ES would be a good choice.

Since it is a half face and won't be the most comfortable, I asked for a recommendation for buffing. They indicated their N95 category masks. I chose the 8511 which is $15.71 for a 10-pack.

The reason I chose it is because of the exhale valve. The regular masks, I find when breathing, they tend to fog up my protective glasses. I'm hoping this will help with that. Also, it has extra material which looks like it will conform to the face better and help protect better.

Glad to see the threads on here about protection.