autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Wax over Sealant Questions

Right to the questions.

#1. Can you apply a pure carnauba wax over a paint sealant like say FK2180 or Four star UPP within an hour or so of buffing off the sealant?

#2. Does a Nuba Wax like DP Max Wax really make that much difference in looks over a sealant? Doesn't the sealant limit the effect of the Nuba for depth and gloss?

#3. Does the nuba extend or reduce the durability of the sealant. I assume it extends it because of an additional layer of protection but just asking for experiences.

Thanks All ~~ Yale
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Lincoln's First Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861.

Newport, Oregon USA!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wax over Sealant Questions

#1. Can't answer as I haven't used these products.

#2. I put DP Max Wax over XMT 360 and it made a difference in the look and feel. The shine was better and the depth of the color was greater. It was also much slicker than just the sealant.

#3. Everything that I have read would indicate extended durability because of the extra layer.
    2006 Honda Ridgeline Nighthawk Black Pearl with the wonderful soft Honda clear....

Post Thanks / Like

1.) Yes, but if the sealant needs a certain cure time and you interfere with the cure time, you are limiting the maximum durability the product can offer. It's not something you shouldn't do, but you are negatively affecting all the hard work you just did.

2.) Depends on the sealant and depends on the wax. If you're using a really nice sealant and want to put a really crappy carnauba on top, that's not such a great idea. A lot of the quality sealants out there now offer really nice depth and carnauba-like shine anyways.

3.) At the very least, it would extend the durability but I don't think it would do very much.
    08 Subaru WRX

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buckskincolt View Post
    #2. Does a Nuba Wax like DP Max Wax really make that much difference in looks over a sealant?
    I'd love to see a completely synthetic sealant (perhaps Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0, Finish Kare 215 One Step Cleaner & Surface Sealant, Meguiars NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0, or another reasonably-priced sealant) applied side-by-side with a carnuaba wax (DP MaxWax, Collinite 845, Pinnacle Liquid Souveran, P21S Concours Carnauba Wax, or another reasonably-priced carnuaba wax) and then have 2 different panels of judges (one panel of professionals like Mike and others that do this for a living, and the other panel of hobbyists and weekend warrior detail duffers like myself) guess which is the synthetic sealant side and which is the carnuaba wax side.

I'd be willing to bet that the pros panel would barely tip the scales at a positive identification of sealant versus carnuaba and the non-pro panel would not be able to tell the difference at all.
    James

Post Thanks / Like

I am also very interested in this idea of a side by side on hood with different exp levels of details judging them. People we know and trust from the forum would be a huge plus.

I use Ex-P alot... along with Poly-seal... but i just ordered some Max wax to see how the 2nd coat compares and a wax vs sealant comparision for myself

But my level of experience is very low in my own regaurds.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MisterShark View Post
    I'd love to see a completely synthetic sealant (perhaps Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0, Finish Kare 215 One Step Cleaner & Surface Sealant, Meguiars NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0, or another reasonably-priced sealant) applied side-by-side with a carnuaba wax (DP MaxWax, Collinite 845, Pinnacle Liquid Souveran, P21S Concours Carnauba Wax, or another reasonably-priced carnuaba wax) and then have 2 different panels of judges (one panel of professionals like Mike and others that do this for a living, and the other panel of hobbyists and weekend warrior detail duffers like myself) guess which is the synthetic sealant side and which is the carnuaba wax side.

I'd be willing to bet that the pros panel would barely tip the scales at a positive identification of sealant versus carnuaba and the non-pro panel would not be able to tell the difference at all.
    Judging a 10% difference would be difficult.

Post Thanks / Like

I actually have this set up in my Meg's Professional vs Consumer line, I'm using 105/205/26 compared to UC/Swirl-X/NXT 2.0... Unfortunately I haven't been able to find time with my friend with an overly scratched finish to go to work on it but as soon as I do the thread will be updated with pictures and impressions from myself(detailer) and my friend(not).

Here's the thread so far, to be updated soon with results:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...l-writeup.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCruiza120 View Post
    I actually have this set up in my Meg's Professional vs Consumer line, I'm using 105/205/26 compared to UC/Swirl-X/NXT 2.0... Unfortunately I haven't been able to find time with my friend with an overly scratched finish to go to work on it but as soon as I do the thread will be updated with pictures and impressions from myself(detailer) and my friend(not).

Here's the thread so far, to be updated soon with results:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...l-writeup.html
    I am doing almost the exact same thing on a black car with some pretty bad stuff.

DLB

SPAMMER
    Post Thanks / Like

Spam
    Last edited by Meghan; 09-24-2009 at 12:32 PM.