autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Waterless vs. Rinseless? Schmitt or MF? Wheels/Tire cleaning???

Hi guys, Rento here.

Just wondering... I moved out to Phoenix, AZ a week ago for school. My Corrado needs an actual wash or something... Just not sure if using a 1/4 bottle of Poorboy's QD+ a week is doing a great job here or if it's even economical... I mean it is visually nice, but some dirt, stains, and bugs, just won't come out, and I don't wanna keep coating those things with the QD+.

Well I live in an apartment complex and washing you cars is prohibited... being ~115*F currently makes me not want to wash it at a power-wash station...

I was wondering...

Waterless vs Rinseless:
    - Which is better?
    - Which one is more safer?
    - Which one has the better results?
    - Which one is fastest to use?

Also... I think it's time that I get some new quick detailing microfiber towels... I was wondering... Does one use MF towels vs say a Schmitt, or can both use either? Also, what would be the cheapest/best bang for the buck in quality for some MF towels? I was thinking maybe some Cobra 530s?

Lastly... What about cleaning heavy/moderate brake dust off wheels and tires?

I really like the spray and wipe deal so I was thinking maybe Poorboy's S&W or DP Waterless Auto Wash which I can use either in my garage... But it seems like maybe a 2 bucket system and some rinseless under the carport would be a better idea since it seems like a rinseless system might clean more?...

I'm trying to stay under $100 to get setup with atleast... a few months worth of water/rinseless stuff right now. Just really short on cash, but I need to take care of my low miles Corrado too.

Thanks guys!

Last edited by Rento; 08-28-2009 at 05:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Waterless vs. Rinseless? Schmitt or MF? Wheels/Tire cleaning???

I would opt for the Rinseless unless the car only has dust. High quality MF are a must as they are key in not marring. I think your money situation is fine:

ONR 32oz - $15.99 (64 washes if used per label and can make a clay lube and quick detailer)
    Powerclean for wheels, tires, arches - $11.99 can be diluted 3:1 or used straight
    3.5 gallon bucket - $5 at a hardware store
    Gritguard - $10
    Microfiber wash media - $5-10
    Microfiber drying towels - $whatever you can afford you will need to make two drying passes usually, so get plenty and don't skimp here.

Post Thanks / Like

I still have to believe waterless is nothing more than a stronger (theoretically) version of rinseless. You should be able to create a waterless version from a rinseless concentrate like DP or ONR. It seems more about the ability of the seller to make the claim.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Mike Phillips

It's tough living where it's that hot no matter how you clean your car, it's best to start real early in the morning while it's the coolest.

Just to be sure, when you refer to waterless washing you mean using a spray detailer and plenty of microfiber polishing cloths to wipe your car clean? And when you say rinseless, you're referring to using a product like ONR with a bucket of water, but no rinsing with a fresh water supply.

(I've seen people confuse these topics so just wanted to make sure we're on the same page)

What kind of wheels do you have as in are they coated with something or no coating at all?

That's how you choose a wheel cleaner, you have to find out exactly what kind of surface you're working on.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I live in Phoenix area as well and feel your pain with the heat issue. During the summer months I only use ONR for washing. I use a MF mitt and high quality waffle weave MF's for drying. No problem getting light to moderate brake dust off rims with ONR either. I try to wash between 5:30-8:00am to avoid the hottest times.

--jason

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of questions.

Waterless vs Rinseless:
    - Which is better? For me, a toss-up when the products are used properly.
    - Which one is more safer? For me, a toss-up when the products are used properly.
    - Which one has the better results? Both do a pretty good job, but I personally feel more comfortable with the rinseless products on a dirtier vehicle. Many people clean some very dirty cars wuth waterless washes, but it seemed to me that it took a lot of product and a lot of MF towels when I tried it.
    - Which one is fastest to use? For me, waterless without a doubt.

Buy and use good MF towels.
    Buy and use good MF towels.
    Can't emphasize that too much.

As far as wash media for the rinseless washes, I have used cotton chenille mitts, cotton chenille covered sponges, sea sponge, Lowe's grout sponge, Home Depot grout sponge, MF towel, MF covered sponge and they all seemed to work fine. I have not used the ShMITT, but it probably is not something I would use for rinseless washes. I'm not sure if the foam pores are open enough to give the dirt a place to go. Like I said, haven't tried one so I don't know.

Also... I think it's time that I get some new quick detailing microfiber towels... I was wondering... Does one use MF towels vs say a Schmitt, or can both use either? Also, what would be the cheapest/best bang for the buck in quality for some MF towels? I was thinking maybe some Cobra 530s? Lots of good MF out there and I don't think I own any that I would be concerned with using.

Lastly... What about cleaning heavy/moderate brake dust off wheels and tires? This is a problem I don't seem to have. I just wash my wheels the same way I wash the rest of the vehicle. It might take a little more rubbing, but it's not a big deal.
    For tires, I use Poorboy's Bold N Bright which cleans and leaves a satin finish the way I use it. I spray it on, scrub it with a brush and wipe it off with an old cotton terry towel.

I really like the spray and wipe deal so I was thinking maybe Poorboy's S&W or DP Waterless Auto Wash which I can use either in my garage... But it seems like maybe a 2 bucket system and some rinseless under the carport would be a better idea since it seems like a rinseless system might clean more?... I happen to use and like Poorboy's Spray & Wipe for waterless washes, but the DP Waterless Wash is on the BOGO page right now.

Waterless washing isn't for everyone and until about 6 ot 7 years ago, I wouldn't have used it if you gave it to me. That is no longer true.
    For that matter, rinseless washing isn't for everyone either, but almost all my washeing is either waterless or rinseless anymore.
    I do spray the vehicle off at the DIY wash if it has an accumulation of heavy, crusty crud.
    Charles
    The Rainmaker

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Woooow, tons of awesome answers!!! Thanks a ton guys, and to Mike.Phillips, yes sir. Waterless I am referring to as the spray on and wipe off and than rinseless as a concentrated liquid mixed with a bucket of water.

Also, for the wheels... I wanted to mention that I have Poorboy's Spray and Rinse wheel cleaner... I just believe that this has to be sprayed off with a blast of water, and I still even agitate it with a wheel brush.

I believe the wheels that I have are a painted wheel with a very thick clear coat.

Preacher, you were saying you used ONR with I assume a mitt or some cheap MF towels? That sounds like a good idea.

I'm just scared to buy the wheel cleaners that i'm familiar with like the Poorboy's S&R or Pinnacle Wheel and Tire gel cleaner because I don't have a hose to rise the fenders off asap.

Overall, it seems like the cheaper direction would be to just do a rinseless wash with a nice mitt as this will save me the price of 6-12 extra MF towels. However, i'm not sure what mitt to get exactly... I have a schmitt, but I think I should get a new mitt. I loved the schmitt personally, as it holds A LOT of water and suds.
    Last edited by Rento; 08-29-2009 at 01:56 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Well done Charles. Lots of very good info in that answer.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

So this is what I got so far... I dunno if i'm missing something...

Post Thanks / Like

I have read that shamrocks have a harder edge to them and some people prefer the slightly less dense safer purple towels... can't remember name of them... Could someone confirm or deny the shamrocks rougher edge rumor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast