autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Correct order of things?

Hey guys, I am brand new to the detailing world. I have started to purchase a few products when I can and am receiving my first Autogeek purchase today (hopefully). I am planning on spending some quality time with my car friday after work and am wondering if I am planning the correct order of things. Your input would be greatly appreciated.

My plan is to wash, clay, P21S paint cleanser, glaze, wax. I got a P21S gift set from AG for bday and so the wash, paint cleaner, and wax will all be P21S. The glaze I have is the 3m Imperial Hand Glaze. I do not have a PC yet so I will be doing everything by hand. Is my order of things correct? and if so, is it the norm to wash the car after claying it? I'm sure the wax will tell me how long it needs to cure before I can apply a second coat, so I'll leave that to the packaging.

Thanks for all the great information on this site. Keep up the awesome work!

Mike Phillips

Re: Correct order of things?

Quote Originally Posted by murdock View Post

My plan is to wash, clay, P21S paint cleanser, glaze, wax.

I got a P21S gift set from AG for bday and so the wash, paint cleaner, and wax will all be P21S. The glaze I have is the 3m Imperial Hand Glaze.

Is my order of things correct? and if so, is it the norm to wash the car after claying it?

I'm sure the wax will tell me how long it needs to cure before I can apply a second coat, so I'll leave that to the packaging.
    Wipe the clay lubricant residue off after each section you clay and you won't have to re-wash the car.

Wash
    Clay
    Paint Cleaner
    Glaze
    Wax

P21S recommends applying the wax and then immediately buffing it off but maybe apply a thin coat and let it dry to a haze before removing.

Generally speaking the protection ingredients bond to the paint via the drying process so if you wipe the wax off before it dries you will have wiped most of the wax off which kind of defeats the purpose of applying the wax.

The key is to only apply a thin coat or it will be very hard to wipe off. If you apply a thin coat it will wipe off like a summer breeze.

See this article as it goes over washing and claying plus more tips that will help you.

2008 Lexus IS 250 - Pinnacle Detail - August 14th, 2009

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your quick response. I will definitely let the wax dry to a haze before buffing it out. Can't believe the first response was from one of the experts. thats what i call service! Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

The P21S GEPC product is super nice for those not polishing and a must have. Pinnacles Paintwork lotion is a healthy substitute.

Wash --- Clay --- Polish (or Paint Cleanse) --- Protect