autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bird poop residue - in the clear coat?

Hey guys, I was giving my Dad's 09 Sienna a wash today and noticed some deep bird poop residue on the hood - I washed, clayed, and tarminator'ed, and they did very little. I then buffed with UC and my PC on 5 for 5-10 minutes and I can still feel with my nail and see very obviously the issues in the paint. Is this in the clear coat? Or can I make some progress by wet-sanding?

Thanks!

Mike Phillips

Re: Bird poop residue - in the clear coat?

Don't wet-sand.

The uric acid in the bird dropping has wrinkled or mottled the clear layer of paint. The cracks you so expertly captured in your close-up photos are actually throughout the layer of clear, not just on the surface of the clear layer of paint.

Sanding is only for topical defects and on factory paint it's dangerous at best.

Time to learn to live with the defect or have the area painted. This is one of those defects where the more and more you work on it the worse and worse it's likely going to get.

Post Thanks / Like

Damn >.< Thanks for the advice, Mike. In order to change the appearance some, can I potentially cover it with touch-up paint and even down the touched up area to have the same color at least of the surrounding areas?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by JCruiza120 View Post
    Damn >.< Thanks for the advice, Mike. In order to change the appearance some, can I potentially cover it with touch-up paint and even down the touched up area to have the same color at least of the surrounding areas?
    When the paint gets wrinkled like this it's really going to be hard to fix it the right way because the right way is to have the area re-painted.

If you apply any car care product that dries white then it's always going to have white residue in the low spots of the wrinkles and cracks or interstices.

The way to make it look better is to first get it flat and that means abrading it. If you use a compound by hand or machine you'll either go to far and expose the color coat and if you don't go far enough you'll have a textured area with dry white stuff in it.

So without getting real complicated and costly there really is no simple solution.

Some would say to sand the area and then apply touch-up paint and then after the touch-up paint dries and harden to sand it flat and buff out your sanding marks and this can sound easy but it's a lot harder than that.

Maybe the Dr. Color Chip system could be used to mask it since you would be applying very thinned down paint onto the area? First you would have to get all the residue out of the wrinkled paint and that by itself without scratching or dulling the surrounding pant will be difficult.

How about a well-positioned Toyota sticker?

Red Sharpie Marker? Dab the ink into it? Even if the red ink doesn't match the red paint at least it's in the same color category.

Sorry...

Post Thanks / Like

Dang! That bird must have had Mexican food for lunch!

Sorry about the paint damage bro. This is a prime example of why it's so important to remove them ASAP.
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow! I have some spots like that on my Jeep, but not quite as bad... Hopefully you can figure something out! I hate those things too.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, thankfully my Dad was pretty understanding about it. Neither of us had seen the spot before, and all of a sudden it was deep in the paint. I covered it up with as light a coat of touch-up paint as I could manage, and I'm going to even it down by wetsanding with some fine sandpaper when it's dried.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmmm. I had sucess by polishing

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ngs-paint.html

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by JCruiza120 View Post
    and I'm going to even it down by wetsanding with some fine sandpaper when it's dried.
    Let it completely dry hard before sanding it, say for a week or so in warm weather.

Use some #2500 or #3000 grit Nikken Finishing papers should you decide to sand the touch-up paint flat.

Sand very lightly and under sand versus over sand and then use some UC by hand to try to remove your sanding marks.

Be carefull not to sand the good paint surrounding the touch-up paint if at all possible.

This is real tricky work to do and have it come out looking good.

Post Thanks / Like

I would tape up the area you are sanding to keep from sanding too big of an area.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast