autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Wet-sanding with a pneum DA...wow!

I saw a 5-part Meguiar's video series (on YouTube) about wetsanding and buffing with a rotary. The last video (part 5) demo's wetsanding with a pneumatic DA palm sander. Seems like a very effective way to achieve uniform results.

I also watched Kevin Tetz (Paintucation) use it to make clear coat perfectly smooth prior to buffing. His 50/50 results were impressive. He makes it clear that a thicker clearcoat is needed or damage will occur.

Has anyone here used a pneumatic DA to wetsand? If so, what kind of sander and paper and how was your results?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: Wet-sanding with a pneum DA...wow!

wish to post a link to what you saw?
    Stephen R. Hollon, Jr
    Pearland, TX
    (956) 357-7696 – Cell/Text / srhtx@yahoo.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wet-sanding with a pneum DA...wow!

I watched those videos too, I assume this is the same one...
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfVhG-j3CGQ&feature=related]YouTube - Wetsanding part 5 of 5[/video]

Post Thanks / Like

I have wet sanded a whole car before , during and after a new paint job but never wet sanded the whole vehicle on a existing paint job . Can't see where this would be called for on a daily driver. Maybe on a showcar. New car paint is usually extremely thin and leaves little room for correction. If someone was determined to do this anyway then checking the paint thickness would be critical and still not a guarantee of success.When particapiting in this type of process , most of my work was by hand with sanding blocks to evaluate progress as I worked.
    As far as which product (wet-dry paper)I have used with sucess #1 Meg's #2 3m . For my da's and air sanding I use a mirka and dynabrade.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for not posting the links. Thanks to A4 1.8tqm who posted the YouTube link for the Meguiar's series.

The other source was Kevin Tetz's "Color Sanding & Buffing" which is part of the Paintucation DVD series. He uses the DA on a repainted car and he stresses the importance of having an extra layer of clear or single-stage sprayed for the show-car wetsanding.

I have done several vehicles that have resprayed panels. This method seems like an efficient way to help those areas during a detail. One more tool in the bucket.