autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

help i own a craftsman

i am new to the forum and got to reading about the wonderful pc and all the neat pads out there, i have a craftsman 6 inch sander/polisher and was wondering if a: anyone has used this with some success and b: what types of pads/ backing plates are out there for it?
    most pads say they fit a 5/8 shank polisher, i read the manual for mine,1st time for me, and it says it has a 1/2 shank, should i just chuck this think and get a pc or is it still useful....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dewalt17
    i am new to the forum and got to reading about the wonderful pc and all the neat pads out there, i have a craftsman 6 inch sander/polisher and was wondering if a: anyone has used this with some success and b: what types of pads/ backing plates are out there for it?
    most pads say they fit a 5/8 shank polisher, i read the manual for mine,1st time for me, and it says it has a 1/2 shank, should i just chuck this think and get a pc or is it still useful....
    very useful in the right hands...rotarys are dangerous for some and wonderful for the experienced...
    as far as pads etc?? someone else will tune in....good luck......

Post Thanks / Like
    i read somewhere that if i want to go into the realm of the professional i should stick to using a pc....maybe i could use the rotary for final buffing....

Post Thanks / Like
    PC and Cyclo are better choices as random orbitals ... your polisher is closely related to a circular polisher, and well thats like jumping into the deep end of the pool before learning to swim.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    i will just have to bite the bullet and get a pc....lowes has a new model too...tried ebay and there isnt many listings for these...

Post Thanks / Like
    Which Craftsman do you have? Most 6 inch sanders are random orbits. In fact, Sears doesn't build any of its own tools. They just rebadge another brand's model. Yours could be a PC (Porter Cable rebadge).

If you want to use backing plates made for the PC, then you'll need to get something that can accept a 5/8 inch shank. Otherwise, if the Craftsman has a velcro backing plate already, you can just buy the polishing pads and they'll work just fine. What you won't get with the stock backing plate is a flexible backing plate. However, it should be fine for you to practice with while doing the hood or other flat surfaces.

Now, with all of that said, and also noting that I have 3 wood sanders, I would NEVER use a sander/polisher that was ever used for sanding wood to then polish my car. The chances of an errant piece of sawdust getting on the car and then being swirled around is just too great. Unless you wash your sander, there is absolutely no way in the world to ever get it complete sawdust free. I've tried vacuuming it and blowing it clean with a compressor and it's never sawdust free.

The sawdust factor is the single reason why I bought a PC and why I would recommend one. I got the PC7336SP from Lowes for $99 minus a 10% coupon.

Post Thanks / Like
    well i just found another reason to get a pc......the pads that are quick disconnect look good....now i have to figure out how to buy the whole kit without the wife knowing....how much does a pint of blood go for? lol looks like i had better eat sweets, im gonna need to give a gallon...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dewalt17
    i will just have to bite the bullet and get a pc....lowes has a new model too...tried ebay and there isnt many listings for these...
    I purchased my PC 7424 through an ebay tool seller. $113 shipped to my door! I love it! PM me if you need the seller info
    WWZS - What Would Zinn Say

Teacher by Day: Speed Dreamer at Night

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by paradog
    I purchased my PC 7424 through an ebay tool seller. $113 shipped to my door! I love it! PM me if you need the seller info
    No other online retailer offers the best in kits, and since you will need pads, polish , and flexible backing plate why not make it easy and just buy it all in one place.

http://www.autogeek.net/dual-action-polishers.html

Scott