autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

First real cleaning in years

I decided to get my truck, (2002 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner) looking good after years of neglect. I have cleaned out all the junk inside and have the inside and outside trim almost all detailed. Now it is time to get started on the paint.
    I have some pretty bad water spots and some light scratches that I would like to remove. Along with the light haze that is in the paint.
    My plan of attack is, clay bar, Meguiar’s Ultimate Compound, #7, and then either Gold Class paste wax, or Hi-Tech liquid yellow wax. (Please advise on which wax.)
    All comments or suggestions are welcome. I would like to use what I have. I also have #2 Fine cut cleaner. However, I will be doing this all by hand. (No Polisher yet)
    Here are a few pictures. The paint is really a dark green metallic, sorry about the lighting.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: First real cleaning in years

As far as a wax goes for a deep looking finish, I have always been a big fan of royal blue (this was before I really got into detailing but I still use it to be honest). You will have to call them and leave a message but they will get back to you. And if you wanted a commercial product, mother's back to black is an option for your trim. Otherwise, id advise black wow Black WOW Exterior Trim Restorer whcih I have never seen in stores. Do you have foam pads because they're pretty much a must when using wax applicator pads. How were you planning on washing it? I find a wool mitt to be very nice. Also, some use the 2 bucket method when washing and also many people wash the car, clay bar it, then wash again. While using a claybar, make sure you have some lubricant to use. I have heard of people using meguiars ultimate quick detailer as a lubricant but have yet to try it. Here is the pinnacle clay lube which I like. PINNACLE CLAY LUBRICANT is specially designed to work with all detailing clay bars, natural or synthetic). Also here is the royal blue link. Their "online store" doesn't work Welcome to Royal Blue but I like their wax. Here are some links on "hand-detailing"
    Hand Detailing Tips - Honda-Tech
    Here is a link on autopia. Please dont be offended by the title, i didnt name it
    Helpful Threads For Newbies - Autopia.org
    Hope this helps
    Last edited by Meghan; 07-21-2009 at 08:24 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: First real cleaning in years

ONR lubricant for the clay process

Enjoy
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TS656577 View Post
    As far as a wax goes for a deep looking finish, I have always been a big fan of royal blue (this was before I really got into detailing but I still use it to be honest). You will have to call them and leave a message but they will get back to you. And if you wanted a commercial product, mother's back to black is an option for your trim. Otherwise, id advise black wow Black WOW Exterior Trim Restorer whcih I have never seen in stores. Do you have foam pads because they're pretty much a must when using wax applicator pads. How were you planning on washing it? I find a wool mitt to be very nice. Also, some use the 2 bucket method when washing and also many people wash the car, clay bar it, then wash again. While using a claybar, make sure you have some lubricant to use. I have heard of people using meguiars ultimate quick detailer as a lubricant but have yet to try it. Here is the pinnacle clay lube which I like. PINNACLE CLAY LUBRICANT is specially designed to work with all detailing clay bars, natural or synthetic).
    I have a microfiber wash mit for the washing and I was thinking of picking up some foam pads for application, and I need some more microfiber towels for removal.
    For the trim I have Meguiar’s Gold Class Trim Detailer, so far I have liked how that turns out. I do have some Mothers Back to Black too which I might use.
    I picked up a Auto Magic blue fine clay bar, and I have a lot of Meguiars Quick and Instant Detailer to use as a lub.
    I will read your links tho

Post Thanks / Like

To be completely honest with you, without a machine, the etching left behind from the severe water spots will not come out completely. I have a 1992 BMW 325i and had MASSIVE waterspots on the entire vehicle including all of the windows. The ONLY way I could get them all off was with my PC and Optimum Compound, though I'm sure any quality compound would work just as nicely. After compounding, I did have to follow up with Poli-seal on an orange LC pad, but my car is really old and my test bed for my detailing work.

You may get SOME of the waterspots out, but most of them will stay without machine removal and a compound. Even Claying my car didn't remove any waterspots. Good luck though.