autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Getting started with machines.

So i have always been a very obsessed detailer....that is with everything except a machine. See i always heard horror stories which made me shy away from using a machine. Well about a year ago i took the user friendly way and purchased a meguiars da polisher from auto geek: Meguiars Dual Action Polisher G110, meguiars g110 polisher, meguiars polisher,

I have used it to apply sealant and what not but still havn't used a polish. I have been researching the xmt 360 for quite some time now and am gaining the courage to try it out.

What scares me is i really don't have a beater to test on, i have a 05 corolla xrs that is completely a show car (the one in my sig) and have more money in mods than when i bought it brand spanking new, I also own an 06 g35 and IS300 so i am quite nervous.

these are the pads i have purchased for the da: Meguiars Soft Buff W-8006 Foam Polishing Pad 6.5"
    Meguiars Soft Buff W-9006 Foam Finishing Pad 6.5"

So onto the questions:
    What i need help with is:

1) Will xmt 360 work with my da? I have light swirls and my paint is in pretty darn good shape aside from the swirls.

2) The pads listed are what i have, If you recommend a different one that has the velcro on the back and works better then please let me know, I'm all ears.

3) Whats the easiest way to clean the pads after use so i can use them again. Keep in mind, whatever pad is recommended, i will get, and all my da will be used for is applying the xmt 360.

4) I shouldn't have a high chance of burning/marring the paint with my da should i ? That is my biggest fear.

5) What speed should i run the da on while applying the xmt 360?

oh, and is it true that with the xmt 360 there is no need for removing old wax and what not since the xmt 360 has cleaning agents? That is the other part that sold me on this product.

and once the xmt 360 is applied i can top it with wolfgang fuzion since that's my goto wax.

Basically, I'm a total noob with a machine

Any and all your help will be greatly appreciated. I really don't feel like screwing up my paint, that is why i have so many questions.

Thank you.
    Last edited by corolla619; 07-04-2009 at 08:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Getting started with machines.

Go to a local body shop and get some scrap panels to practice on.

Post Thanks / Like

1.) Yes. Porter Cable and Meguiar's G110 are very similar in performance.

2.) I think the Meguiar's pads you have should work fine.

3.) Pinnacle XMT Pad Cleaner.

4.) No chance at all. Assuming you will be working indoors, the G110 and PC7424 never get the paint hot enough to burn the paint.

5.) One of the highest speeds. My Porter Cable has speed settings of 1 through 6. I usually polish at around 5 or 5.5...speed 6 works fine but too much vibrations for me.

6.) My final recommendation is that you make sure the XMT360 fully breaks down when working in each 2x2 section. All-in-one products such as XMT360 have shorter working times than traditional polishes, but they will still leave buffer trails and hazing if you stop too early. It's not a big deal, you will just have to redo that section before moving on. And don't be scared, the car will look amazing once you're done. All your cars will.
    08 Subaru WRX

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emile View Post
    1.) Yes. Porter Cable and Meguiar's G110 are very similar in performance.

2.) I think the Meguiar's pads you have should work fine.

3.) Pinnacle XMT Pad Cleaner.

4.) No chance at all. Assuming you will be working indoors, the G110 and PC7424 never get the paint hot enough to burn the paint.

5.) One of the highest speeds. My Porter Cable has speed settings of 1 through 6. I usually polish at around 5 or 5.5...speed 6 works fine but too much vibrations for me.

6.) My final recommendation is that you make sure the XMT360 fully breaks down when working in each 2x2 section. All-in-one products such as XMT360 have shorter working times than traditional polishes, but they will still leave buffer trails and hazing if you stop too early. It's not a big deal, you will just have to redo that section before moving on. And don't be scared, the car will look amazing once you're done. All your cars will.
    Emile, Thankyou.

My only questions back to you are how will i know when the xmt 360 is broke down?

And which of the 2 pads i showed would be the right one for the job?

i shouldn't have to strip the wax since the xmt 360 is an aio correct?

last but not least, once finished i can top with wolfgang fuzion or pinnacle sig II right?

again, thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

XMT360 will just disappear into the paint. You will see little or no product left on the vehicle once it has fully broken down.

Sorry, I didn't see that you provided links to two different pads. Use the yellow pad, which has the mild cutting action.

XMT360 will strip any existing wax or sealant you already have on the vehicle.

Once finished polishing the vehicle with XMT360, you can definitely top it with a nice beauty wax. It will look great.

Perhaps somebody else can chime in who actually has experience with XMT 360 specifically. I have lots of experience with Optimum Poli-Seal, which is the same exact type of product, but I've never used XMT360.
    08 Subaru WRX

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emile View Post
    XMT360 will just disappear into the paint. You will see little or no product left on the vehicle once it has fully broken down.

Sorry, I didn't see that you provided links to two different pads. Use the yellow pad, which has the mild cutting action.

XMT360 will strip any existing wax or sealant you already have on the vehicle.

Once finished polishing the vehicle with XMT360, you can definitely top it with a nice beauty wax. It will look great.

Perhaps somebody else can chime in who actually has experience with XMT 360 specifically. I have lots of experience with Optimum Poli-Seal, which is the same exact type of product, but I've never used XMT360.
    again, thankyou emile.

how do you like poli-seal? it's got the same characteristics of 360? Now i'm curious about poli-seal.

Post Thanks / Like

The PC with pads is generally safe but there are things to consider. The items is dropping the unit on the paint (obvious), letting the PC power cord flop against the paint, or hitting trim/paint with the backing plate when doing near mirrors or on in the bumper area where two surfaces are near right angles with each other.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by corolla619 View Post
    again, thankyou emile.

how do you like poli-seal? it's got the same characteristics of 360? Now i'm curious about poli-seal.

I would say 360 if my favorite out of the two just because of how you work 360. You kind of work it in till it about disappears. Sort of like a built in indicator when it has broken down.
    Autogeek OG. Attended detail fest I/II. Still detailing!

Post Thanks / Like

AIO's are nice products but remember quite limited in their abilities. They will indeed remove old wax and contaminents and likely some smaller marks. When you are happy with the results its time to work with dedicated polishes. Remember polishes come in degrees of abrasiveness from fine (finishing) to heavy (compounds).