autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Polishing for me takes soooo long..

took me almost 2 hours on the godamn hood!.. first i had bad dusting i dont know why.. the pad was clean, i sprayed it with water so it wasnt dry.. i didnt have too much polish on it.. so i dont know why it was happening.. i tried shaking my OP bottle for at least 3 minutes vigoriously and it got better.. but i still get a bit of dust from time to time.. and i just try to blow it away with my mouth as im polishing lol.. this is my 2nd time polishing.. i havent polished since august of last year so i kinda forgot some things but i picked it up fast again as I started.. im using a G110 with OP ver. 1 on a white LC polishing 6" pad.. ya i know i can use a smaller pad for better results.. which i have but i just perfer the larger area of polishing so im using the 6".. im not trying to get perfect results which is why i used the OP polish on a white pad.. i got about 70-80% of swirls out.. so im happying with that.. u wont notice that stuff too much in sunlight anyways.. but my question is if i use a orange pad with OC, of course ill get out more stuff.. but can i do it in a quicker amount of time with less dust? each section i did about 3-4 passes before i wiped down.. really slow passes on speed 6 of the G110

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polishing for me takes soooo long..

Your are creating your own problem by not using a smaller pad.

Post Thanks / Like

smaller pads, some pressure, and alot of patience are needed with the random orbitals. (exception: Flex)

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know what you are complaining about, I had over four hours in the hood on my show and shine with the Z06. Like suggested my to a smaller pad.

Post Thanks / Like

Using the right tools to get the job done always makes a big difference. When it comes to my cars I never worry about how long it takes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Girn View Post
    took me almost 2 hours on the godamn hood!.. first i had bad dusting i dont know why.. the pad was clean, i sprayed it with water so it wasnt dry.. i didnt have too much polish on it.. so i dont know why it was happening.. i tried shaking my OP bottle for at least 3 minutes vigoriously and it got better.. but i still get a bit of dust from time to time.. and i just try to blow it away with my mouth as im polishing lol.. this is my 2nd time polishing.. i havent polished since august of last year so i kinda forgot some things but i picked it up fast again as I started.. im using a G110 with OP ver. 1 on a white LC polishing 6" pad.. ya i know i can use a smaller pad for better results.. which i have but i just perfer the larger area of polishing so im using the 6".. im not trying to get perfect results which is why i used the OP polish on a white pad.. i got about 70-80% of swirls out.. so im happying with that.. u wont notice that stuff too much in sunlight anyways.. but my question is if i use a orange pad with OC, of course ill get out more stuff.. but can i do it in a quicker amount of time with less dust? each section i did about 3-4 passes before i wiped down.. really slow passes on speed 6 of the G110

Stop and ask yourself a few questions:

1) You are making dust one of the least dusting polishes there are. OP is great. You may be working it too hard / too long. Is the car in direct sun?

2) I understand the least aggressive combo theory however, it looks like you may need to bust out an orange pad for some cut. You might not need to jump to OC/orange. Try OP/orange.

3) Remember, let the pad/product do it's job as well.
    Autogeek OG. Attended detail fest I/II. Still detailing!

Post Thanks / Like

like mentioned, try the smaller pads. don't work in the polish for too long or you could be making more work for yourself. work in 2x2' areas. and yes it takes a looong time. don't' go to a more aggressive pad unless it's absolutely needed.

hey asphalt, just curious, how long does it take you to completely polish your Z06??

Post Thanks / Like

Your Optimum Polish is kicked, I think. This happened to me also. I was polishing the trunk lid of my Subaru around two or three months ago, using a White Polishing Pad and Optimum Polish I. I was getting crazy dusting, the product wasn't getting worked in properly, and it was difficult to buff off (like it was stuck to my paint). It sounds like you and I were having the same issues.

Anyways, I remedied the situation by throwing the Optimum Polish in the garbage and ordering some Menzerna Super Finish 106FA.
    08 Subaru WRX

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emile View Post
    Your Optimum Polish is kicked, I think. This happened to me also. I was polishing the trunk lid of my Subaru around two or three months ago, using a White Polishing Pad and Optimum Polish I. I was getting crazy dusting, the product wasn't getting worked in properly, and it was difficult to buff off (like it was stuck to my paint). It sounds like you and I were having the same issues.

Anyways, I remedied the situation by throwing the Optimum Polish in the garbage and ordering some Menzerna Super Finish 106FA.

Was the polish sitting for long ? Might give some insights to the shelf life of the polish. I want to try the menzernas but for $50 each, it is hard to go through with it.
    Autogeek OG. Attended detail fest I/II. Still detailing!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ryandamartini View Post
    Was the polish sitting for long ? Might give some insights to the shelf life of the polish. I want to try the menzernas but for $50 each, it is hard to go through with it.
    Yup, I bought the Optimum Polish when it was on BOGO when Autogeek was trying to get rid of the old stuff and make room for the Optimum Polish II. Even after I purchased the Optimum Polish it was still sitting on my shelf for months, and I bet those bottles were sitting on AG's shelves for months as well. I must have thrown out almost 64oz worth of product.

I can't speak for the other Menzerna products, but I can tell you that Super Finish is pretty awesome. It's just a finishing polish so it has limited cutting ability but it works really fast and the results are excellent. I would say to try a Poorboy's Super Swirl Remover...it's a quality product at a great price.
    Last edited by Emile; 07-01-2009 at 12:21 PM.
    08 Subaru WRX

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast