autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Help;Detailing Recommendations for 2003 Millennium Yellow Z51 Corvette Coupe

Hi: I'm a new AG forum member!

Double Hi & the subject of my post: Have a very low mile 2003 Millennium Yellow Z51 Coupe (~6K miles....for a lot of reasons, a long story.....). It's garaged and only driven in good weather here in New York State. I am hoping to be able to use it a lot more soon.

Have read a great deal on many, many forums & mfgs. sites about various product lines, processes & techniques for hand and machine detailing work, etc.. However, I would also like to get some first hand information and recommendations for doing good detail work on my C5 (considering it's Millennium Yellow, in it's current condition).

Current condition is pretty good, I think.

> It's been washed and waxed (so far OTC products; I like Nu Finish Car Wash and Black Magic Liquid Wax). BM is a very bright and "bulletproof" finish, that's for sure.

> Swirls are minimal, but I suspect are better hidden by the fact that it's yellow and not a dark metallic. i.e. I suspect there is room for improvement (haven't micro-examined it under a high intensity pointed light source, nor do I have a local comparison for what a better detailing process/products might do for that color).

> I use the standard clean 2 bucket washing method, soft fiber washing mitts plus MF towels for drying and terry applicators/MF towels for polish removal. Have never used a DA polisher on any of my vehicles (but would like to A/R) or any of the great product lines discussed on this forum and in other places.

I see the trick to an excellent outcome is in the preparation. Therefore, I am generating the list of items to procure - DA polisher & pads, add'l MF towels, other hard goods, as well as, (now, this is the more personal choice & confusing part) the proper chemical products, to do an excellent job.

Hence, I'd like your product & process recommendations for my Millennium Yellow C5 cream puff, please.

The only other personal considerations might be:

a) Reasonable time expectations & ease of use to achieve a good outcome - perhaps improved preparation on the vette & all my cars, depending on condition, but then more AIO like processes for finishing???

b) I tend to like the idea of a single mfg. line of products; for compatibility, introduction of fewer variables, one source for excellent/personal support which I consider very important, etc..

c) Products that are reasonably priced and make some sense in their cost/benefit trade-offs. And, having USA-made products would be a bonus, too.

I know there are improvement in products & process steps that you can offer me. So far, I perceive the greatest need to be in which chemical products to use for all the car detailing steps, as well as, particular process suggestions for a Millennium Yellow C5 Coupe!!

Many thanks in advance for your recommednations and input. I look forward to your constructive product & process advice for my Corvette. If you need more info., ask away, OK!?

Hope to hear from you shortly. Have a good one! Regards, Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help;Detailing Recommendations for 2003 Millennium Yellow Z51 Corvette Coupe

Welcome to Autogeek Online. If you haven't noticed, Autogeek.net is the best source for your detailing needs. As you have already noted, there is a lot of personal preferences in auto detailing. Your Vette sounds like a beauty.

To stay within your confines, I would suggest you to look at the Wolfgang line of products. Their Total Swirl Remover 3.0 and Finishing Glaze 3.0 are made specially by Menzerna, one of the top manufacturers in detailing. They are a bit more user friendly than Menzerna and come in 16 oz. (actually Menzerna comes in smaller sizes now ... shoot). After polishing with those two products (if needed), you can use their Deep Gloss Paint Sealant for a good looking and well protected finish. And if your feeling wealthy at the time of order, you can splurge for the Wolfgang Fuzion to top the sealant.

As for tools, I'd suggest a Flex 3401 polisher. It will have plenty of oomph to correct your Vettes paint while still being safe for a beginner to use.

For additional supplies, definitely get some detailing clay and lube. This will remove contaminants from the paint, making it baby butt smooth. If you place an order for microfiber towels and pads for the Flex, double it. You can never have too many pads and towels. At minimum, I would have to suggest 2 light cut pads, 2 polishing pads and 2 finishing pads. For towels, I'd suggest at least 6 or 8 quality towels. Also, grab a few Waffle Wave MF towels (Cobra Guzzler is a nice choice from AG).

I think I'm leaving some things out but feel free to ask any more questions.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help;Detailing Recommendations for 2003 Millennium Yellow Z51 Corvette Coupe

I use my vette like you, only on really nice days otherwise it lives a pampered life in the garage. If you just want to go the pc route, as far as polishes go, I would suggest Meguiars M105 and M205. Also 106fa and 85rd if they are truely very light swirls those two combos with the pc should remove them with a little patience. I would get atleast 5 of each pad, except the purple wool, probably only need a couple of those. The color choices of pads I would suggest are the orange, white, green, black, and blue, these are the lc pads.

Also pick yourself up at a minimum a dozen microfibers if not more to remove polish and waxes.

When start this you are going to need some clay after washing so you have a clean slate to start you polishing with. I also go over the vehicle with IPA after this to ensure any old waxes or sealants are still not on the finish.

If a rotary is an optiion for you I would suggest this over any other tool. I have helped numerous people with it, including Harleyguy, and his black vette looks great which in turn has picked him up a couple trophies at a few shows.

Just pm me or post again and I can get you in the right direction of achieving a swirl free vette.

Post Thanks / Like

Asphalt Rocket - thanks for the reply and product info. Do you use the whole Megiuars product line....? I take it that is what you use. Also, by "rotary" you're referring to the brand, not just using another term for a polisher?

And......I understand quantity on pads and towels, but why so many Lake pad types (colors). Is the gradient that fine? What products do you use with each?

Finally, your vette is Black and you reference Harleyguy's black one.........should anything be different with Millennium Yellow?? I would think that good practices and products will produce good results regardless, BUT, I also think that there's an optimum set of choices for yellow, too. Hence,all the criteria in my post. What do you guys think??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tenorplayer23 View Post
    Asphalt Rocket - thanks for the reply and product info. Do you use the whole Megiuars product line....? I take it that is what you use. Also, by "rotary" you're referring to the brand, not just using another term for a polisher?

And......I understand quantity on pads and towels, but why so many Lake pad types (colors). Is the gradient that fine? What products do you use with each?

Finally, your vette is Black and you reference Harleyguy's black one.........should anything be different with Millennium Yellow?? I would think that good practices and products will produce good results regardless, BUT, I also think that there's an optimum set of choices for yellow, too. Hence,all the criteria in my post. What do you guys think??
    Color is not going to make a difference in how you polish it, I just happen to prefer a black vette. I was just using Harleyguy as a point of reference, if his was purple I would have gave him the same info.

I do not use the complete Megs line, probably 2-3 of their products at best. I use the Menzerna line, some 3M stuff, and Scholls polishes. Now waxes are a whole different ball of waxes-lol.

You want to have the range of pads so you can optomize your polishing with the type of correction you are going to do. Also top of the line microfibers are a most, I prefer the WW and microfiber towels from Pakshak.

The rotary is a type of polisher, the strongest one to use, but the most rewarding.

You are correct in saying good practices and products will produce excellent results. Just be patient and you will be rewarded with the results you are looking for.

Post Thanks / Like

From reading your post I thought to suggest exactly what Budman3 said... Wolfgang clay & lube, TSR 3.0, FG 3.0, DGPS 3.0 with Fuzion to top it off. The Flex 3401 polisher, 2 each of LC orange, white, gray/blue... yeah what he said.

ASPHALT ROCKET really knows his stuff too, your sure to get the results your after with the help of all the great people here on AG!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tenorplayer23 View Post

Since i was mentioned here is a picture of my hood the palm tree was at least 100 feet away.
    Lamborghini Broward

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harleyguy View Post
    Since i was mentioned here is a picture of my hood the palm tree was at least 100 feet away.
    Does AG sell these hood props?

Post Thanks / Like

For your yellow car, I would go with a brighter wax such as Natty's Red or P21S Concours Wax. Those waxes will really bring out the yellow.

To prep the vehicle, I would say Optimum Poli-Seal or Poorboy's Polish with Sealant. They are both reasonably priced, offer true paint correction ability, and lay down a durable sealant. Poli-Seal works very well, whether applied by hand or machine.
    08 Subaru WRX