autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Detailed for 8 hours, 1 wash = swirls

Spent all last weekend washing/detailing my car that came out really well. It rained this weekend, so i washed the car with a microfiber mitt, and then a green drying cloth that i got from this website, free, with an order. I get to work.... swirls everywhere. The mitt was brand new and never left a swirl when i used it last week. Now i dried my car with a free cloth, and the swirls/lines are noticeable.

The question: as mentioned above, i spent a full DAY cleaning/polishing this car, and put down 2 layers of wolfgang 3.0. How do i get rid of these swirls that marred my entire vehicle without re-polishing everything? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailed for 8 hours, 1 wash = swirls

Between the microfiber mitt and the green cloth is were you problem came from. Those mitts hold dirt when washing and I cloth is not as soft as a ww and/or as absorbant so the more you go over the finish the more chance of marring. Change your wash mitt, get some WW's, try using the sheeting method, removing the water nozzle and letting the water sheet over the finish will leave less water and then if youwant to go even more indepth get a leaf blower. The key is to touch the paint as least as possible.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not up to date with the abbreviations on this website. What is a "WW"? Also, how can i correct the swirls? Do i have to remove the sealant, and start over?

The car is not garaged, and has been under a car cover since being detailed. However, the dirt still passes through the cover, as its "breatheable". So, until i can find a better, less bulky cover...im stuck with removing dirt from the exterior. How can i remove this stubborn dirt without this damage happening again?
    Last edited by stangyellow; 06-17-2009 at 03:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

WW=Waffle Weave. Also do not put your cover back on the car after driving, you will just rub the dirt in. You are going to have to go back over the car with a light polish to remove the swirls. Like I mentioned above that is going to be your best defense on removing the dust or dirt on your finish to avoid inducing anymore marring.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The car is also parked under trees, which means it is subject to sap, dirt, and bird markings. So, the car cover is my only option to keep that off the vehicle. Is there a washing mitt, or cloth that will minimize the scratching? I bought the autogeek foam gun and have run the supplied DP shampoo, and Ive also tried the Megs Gold Class though there. While the foam gun does the advertised foaming, it still requires a strong effort to remove some of the dirt. Maybe i should just invest in a garage.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stangyellow View Post
    The car is also parked under trees, which means it is subject to sap, dirt, and bird markings. So, the car cover is my only option to keep that off the vehicle. Is there a washing mitt, or cloth that will minimize the scratching? I bought the autogeek foam gun and have run the supplied DP shampoo, and Ive also tried the Megs Gold Class though there. While the foam gun does the advertised foaming, it still requires a strong effort to remove some of the dirt. Maybe i should just invest in a garage.
    The foam gun will aid you, I prefer the lambskin mitts. You are going to have a battle with the tree but once again my above advice should and will cut down on your swirls and marring. Also watch the pressure you use with the mitt when washing, you just want to glide the mitt over the paint. On sap or bird crap you want to apply something pre-wash to soften it so it will come off easy during your wash.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the help Rocket.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stangyellow View Post
    Thank you for the help Rocket.
    You are welcome.

Post Thanks / Like

You're not talking about this one are you?
    The Cobra Microfiber Detailing Cloth is the perfect car detailing & buffing towel! Made of 80/20 microfiber with the best detail cloth in the car care

If it is I can't imagine how you even managed to dry the car with that little thing

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats the culprit.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast