autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Can I apply wolfgang dgps over 2 coats of another sealant?

Hi Guys,

After weeks and weeks of rain/pollen and other excuses I finally got around to stripping off the old sealant/waxes from the winter. I used P21S Total Auto Wash followed by a regular wash. Then moved on to claying and decided to skip the paint correction and in favor of a glaze and sealant instead.

(I purchased a flex/pads and the menzerna line from ag a few months back but due to time and workspace constraints have not done any polishing yet)

After claying, washing and drying again I found that wolfgang paintwork enhancer which is essentially a paint cleaner removed some of the little dots that I missed while claying. I went with chemical guys ez creme glaze and jetseal 109 as a sealant. I am happy with the results considering the fact that I did not polish the paint. The glaze hardly filled the light/medium swirls but did add some shine and the jetseal looks great and wet however I am concerned about durability.

Now to my question: I applied two coats of jetseal and now I would ideally like to apply a coat of dgps because I an concerned about jetseals durability. Based on my limited knowledge I dont know if dgps will adhere/cure properly on top of another sealant. Does anyone know if i can top jetseal with dpgs? or should i just top it with fuzion?

Any thoughts suggestions would be appreciated!Thanks
    2007 Mercedes Benz S550
    Arctic White/Pano roof/AMG package

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can I apply wolfgang dgps over 2 coats of another sealant?

Too bad you haven't been able to try out the Flex/Menz yet, gotta be painful to be unable to use your new toys.

I say do it, the worst that can happen is losing some durability right? If your not happy just strip (I like Chemical Guys citrus wash and CLEAR), rearrange product order by durability and try again. I just got DGPS 3.0 it is a great product, anxious to buy Fusion.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't apply WGPS over anything but a polished finish.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd probably go ahead and apply the DGPS right over it. Most have had great experiences with Wolfgang "playing well" with others.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by matt@autogeek.net View Post
    I'd probably go ahead and apply the DGPS right over it. Most have had great experiences with Wolfgang "playing well" with others.
    I agree with Matt, it should be fine. To be honest though, i would just top the ## jetseal 109 with fuzion. The next time you need to detail your ride, i would use the ## EZ creme glaze, then the wolfgang DGPS topped with Fuzion, that's the next combo i'll be doing. But in your case, you'll be saving product by just going ahead and topping the Jetseal 109 with fuzion.
    Last edited by Streetlife; 06-11-2009 at 02:52 PM.
    The Gleam Master Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Just do it, if you're concerned about durability. DGPS will bond just fine since it's a non-cleaning sealant and in my experience it plays very well with other waxes and sealants.
    08 Subaru WRX

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info guys. It was 7 months but I felt that the dgps left a warm glow to the paint so that is why i wanted to try a different sealant this time around. I prefer a crisp wet look as opposed to a softer glow ( I hope that makes sense). the 109 did gave me the look I was going after.

Has anyone else found the dgps to almost change the color of the paint to a warmer softer shade?

Regardless of my next step I will be sure to report back on this thread with my outcome.
    2007 Mercedes Benz S550
    Arctic White/Pano roof/AMG package

Post Thanks / Like

Makes perfect sense Playing with different combos to achieve different looks is half the fun!