autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Professional Advice Please

My son will be attending his two week army reserve duty soon. I've offered to shelter his 06 Mustang for those two weeks. My motive is to surprise him with a super sharp Mustang when he returns from duty. It sits outside in Michigan near several industrial plants. Unfortunately he has a one car garage and the wife uses it for her Lexus.

I'll be using DP Interior and DP Gloss Tire Gel.

Wash with Gold Class then Meguiars Clay.
    Glass polishing will be done too.
    DP Wheel Glaze.

I am seeking suggestions for the black paint and white striping. The striping is vinyl sheet goods.

Some pictures in its current condition.

Keep in mind, this is what it looks like in Michigan during the winter. Something to protect the finish during this weather is what I'm most interested in.
    I'll be doing the detail early August.

Thank you in advance for all advice.

I own the PC with Red, White and Black foam pads.

Michael
    Last edited by Blackfire; 06-08-2009 at 05:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Professional Advice Please

Well, I unfortunately don't have advice for you, but I would like to add that I, too, am interested in what could keep a car over a harsh winter like that. We don't have many of those in Texas! In fact, last winter I was able to wash my car outside every two weeks all through the entire winter without much discomfort at all. But just in case I'm ever in that situation I'd like to know what is good to use!

I'm also interested in how folks are caring for those vinyl decal paint stripes. I've got a buddy with a bicycle shop van that has those all over it.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I definitely know what its like during the winter months and i usually do a full wax right before winter. Now... I have discovered through Autogeek and this forum that for durability you would want to use a paint sealant.
    Wolfgang Sealant Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant delivers a deep, wet, liquid shimmer unlike anything you can imagine. is probably one of the best. Best thing to do would probably be
    1. Wash
    2. Clay
    3. Wash again
    4. Sealant
    5. Carnauba

Keep in mind i haven't said anything about paint correction. The Sealant from what i hear can last for many months, some telling me longer than 6 months, and topping it with some Carnauba Wax will give it an even deeper lustre and prolong the sealant.
    Seeing as you a have a PC, and some foam pads... I would think that the Black/Gray or the Red foam pads will be best to use for the sealant and carnauba application. The white pads have some (but very little cutting ability) and as per what autogeek says on their site, they are meant for pre-wax cleaners or finishing polishes.

Good Luck!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I am also interested on how to treat the side stripes . I will be detailing a black mustang next weekend with the same color scheme

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not too sure about vinyl stripes however, because they aren't really clear coated, I would imagine that some simple quick detailer and a thin application of Pure Carnauba wax would do the trick. I believe Autogeek has a slew of pure carnauba waxes (mothers california gold carnauba, p21s) but i would also think that some pinnacle signature paste wax would be fine. Anyone else please chime in....