autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Heavy swirl marks trouble

I have a '01 Infiniti I30t -black. I have recently begun taking car cleaning to the next level with hopes of becoming a professional detailer. So far I have all the goods or so it seems. Despite my arsenal of chemicals, foam pads, and study -I can't get rid of the scratches in my paint. They are so numerous and aren't like swirl marks but heavy scratches. I am using a PC with a yellow foam cutting pad with Optimum Compound. The OC does a good job but does get rid of the scratches -it just masks them. I am now thinking of trying a professional-grade paint compound from 3M which is said to be as effective as using 1200 grit sand paper when wetsanding. Does anyone have any recommendations? What about wool pads?
    Jason Harrell, Owner
    Xquizit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like
    With the color of you car,pads and compund. i would definately wait for a response from someone with some experience in all the tools and compounds you mention. I heard 3 m SMR is loaded with fillers the fix would be temporary and you wouldnt be happy.

Talk with Scott(AKA KillerWheels) or Justin

Post Thanks / Like
    3M makes many different polishing compounds that would work. Saying that you are using a 3M product indicates what product you are using about as well as saying you are driving a vehicle with four wheels tells me what kind of car it might be. Their Perfect It II product is similar to Meguiar's #83 DACP and does a great job at removing swirls.

When you say that you have damage that isn't swirls and isnt' scratches, it makes me think of haze. If your pad is too coarse or if your polish is fairly agressive, then you can leave a haze on you paint that needs to be polished out with a less agressive pad and polish. I like products like DACP because the abrasives break down and polish out their own haze, but for the most part I order my polishes online. www.autogeek.net has some great polishes you would probably enjoy. Poorboy's SSRs are great as well as Pinnacle XMT polishes.

As for wool pads, that just depends on the type of machine you are using. If you are using some sort of Craftsman buffer type product, then I would throw it away and invest in a professional tool. Buffers are fine for applying waxes, but they won't fix the hazing or swirls on you paint. A Porter Cable 7424 or 7336 along with the right pads will set you back less than $150 all together. If you truely are trying to take your detailing to the next level, then it is best to start by stepping up your tools.

Post Thanks / Like
    Optimum Compound is a pretty aggressive polish especially adding the yellow pad. Now you will need to work a long time with Optimum on small areas and a PC. When you get the area done properly you are going to see smaller size swirls. This is micromarring. You now will want to move to Optimum Polish and a orange pad. Then onto a finishing pad most likely.

I personally find 3M polishes to be the hardest of the bunch. After using Menzerna, Poorboys, XMT -- well I would personally never go back. That said as OC has countered you will need several products and pads. Also you need to consider if appropriate to move to circular buffer first, and then back to PC. It will make much quicker work of the swirls, but needs due care.

Scott