autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

#16 or WGDGS for winter (also ?? for SCers)

I have never had to deal with winters before and I hear 50* are the norm here (even some snow ). So with that in mind and living in south Fl all my life I need to prepare for this as I have never had to deal with very cold weather (and for me anything under 70* is freezing). Those that have used #16 and WGDGS which would be the winner or go to for winter duty? I would be doing AIO and #16 or WGDGS 3x if that helps, I normally use a glaze under #16 but I may skip it for winter duty. I'm currently testing WGDGS on my hood but winter is creeping up soon so I want to be prepared. Those who live in SC can you tell me if they use salt on the roads here when/if it snows? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    It doesn't snow, here in Sacramento, but I often drive to South Lake Tahoe, where it does snows. Best worked for me was Wolfgang x 3 coats with 2 coats of carnauba. I used Souveran Paste. Doing so will get you a durable coat of protection, and at least you will know that once your carnauba coat is gone, you still have a coat of sealant remaining.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
    2008 Acura MDX Sport white pearl (daily driver)
    2009 BMW E70 X5 4.8i jet black (garage queen)
    2013 BMW F25 X3 2.8 jet black (wife's car)

Post Thanks / Like
    Dude... I think you are being a tad paranoid about it snowing in Charleston, SC. I have a friend that recently moved to Charlotte, NC (you are a bit south and east of him I guess)... and he said it doesnt really snow there... and when it does, it very light and melts very quickly....
    Ofcourse this is coming from a NY'er... so I am used to getting decent snowfalls

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't worry too much about Charleston winters (except for the cold rain). I lived there many moons ago and it was damp and chilly, but not too bad.

Now: here's a pic that will deter most detailing!

Have a fun day.

Toto

Post Thanks / Like
    lol man... I live in Rocky Mount, NC. You don't have much to worry about. I bet it gets down lower than 50F though. Either way if you do even get any snow it won't be for long. But NC/SC does like to salt bridges if it's freezing over night.

I use WG sealant on my corvette all the time, with some #26 paste over it usually. So far it has really kept it looking good and very slick to the touch.

Post Thanks / Like
    In the upstate (that's what they call this area in SC where I live) they use sand, not salt. Don't see the snow until late January.

I use the Klasse Twins

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not paranoid I'll just be darned if I wash my car during winter so I'm looking for a durable angle to go with. From what I'm hearing it's more then just a sprinkle of snow that melts quickly, and I think you guys are either missing of ignoring the fact that I'm a south Floridian our winters are 70* maybe 60* every now and again. I hate cold we don't get along never have nver will. Toto I could never live in that climate unless the Airforce made us (me&the misses)

Post Thanks / Like
    Wytstang, Klasse twins maybe another option. Should last you throgh winter. I would still top it off with coat of carnauba.
    2008 Acura MDX Sport white pearl (daily driver)
    2009 BMW E70 X5 4.8i jet black (garage queen)
    2013 BMW F25 X3 2.8 jet black (wife's car)

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats probably what I'll do here my my rides in NY.... get them all down to the clear, then do at least 2x EX-P (and probably put the new DP sealant on the other) and then top it just for kicks....
    Then, when time and weather permits.. do periodic washing... and also try to use the PB's S&W as much as possible....
    Im teetering on also using a "no rinse" with or in lieu of the waterless wash.....

Got some time to think about that...

Post Thanks / Like
    I use Souveran all winter ... very durable in cooler weather. And since Fl rarely see's temps under 40 (do we even see that) we have mild winters. Why is everyone skipping Fall all together also ????

Scott

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast