autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Whats a Chicago Rotary??

I friend of mine bought one but i have never seen that brand before in my life. Does anyone have the scoop on this thing?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Whats a Chicago Rotary??

Not a very well built tool, have heard from several people that they didn't even finish the car with before it burned up.

Post Thanks / Like

Harbor Freight rotary. My neighbor bought one and has been cleaning up his boat with it. It's been working fine so far. Adjustable speed, trigger and he has a hook and loop set up with some cheap wool pads. Maybe something to learn on I guess.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ASPHALT ROCKET View Post
    Not a very well built tool, have heard from several people that they didn't even finish the car with before it burned up.
    hahaha well this is going to be interesting lol. My friend asked me to look at it and use it, but since i had never seen that model, i was a little skeptical lol

Hey dub, when you said the name Harbor Freight is that the same company that makes this particular buffer as well?

Im reading some info on it and the replies from people who used it arent exactly happy ahhaha. Handles breaking, or just the entire thing falling apart hahaha
    Last edited by AudiTTman; 03-30-2009 at 08:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AudiTTman View Post
    hahaha well this is going to be interesting lol. My friend asked me to look at it and use it, but since i had never seen that model, i was a little skeptical lol

Hey dub, when you said the name Harbor Freight is that the same company that makes this particular buffer as well?

Im reading some info on it and the replies from people who used it arent exactly happy ahhaha. Handles breaking, or just the entire thing falling apart hahaha
    When you hear Harbor Freight just remember two things You get what you pay for.And if sounds too good of a deal it's sub-par products.If it was able to comptete with a makita ,makita would be out of business
    Lamborghini Broward

Post Thanks / Like

hahah thank goodness i didnt waste my money on that rotary lol. I knew something had to be up when i saw it for sale for 40 bucks lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Chicago rotary= China rotary. My girl friend brought one home from a yard sale, $5.00. My question was, I have a UMD, PC, Makita, a Flex, what the H!#^& do I need that for?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

it's funny you guys posted this, because i just got one not 3 days ago. i figured i would get a cheap buffer to learn on before I spent a large chunk of change on a decent makita or dewalt. while it's definatley nowhere near the quality of the dewalt buffer the detailers use where i work, I think it would serve the first timer or occasional user. the only gripe i had about it was that it had almost no grease in the actual gearing section of the buffer. after adding some grease to the gears, it seems to be half decent at least.

Post Thanks / Like

Chicago power tools have been around for decades. They were better than Black and Decker. Guess when they went to China it's now a piece of Shi##.

Post Thanks / Like

I use my Chicago Rotary now to wash and dry my pads in a UPW. I paid $19.00 for it brand new at Harbor Freight last year and it was worth the $19.00 to learn rotary on it.
    That being said, there is a world of difference in quality between my Makita and the Chicago. Particularly in the speed control. The Chicago rotary slows down if you put any pressure on it.
    You can still pick one up at Harbor Freight for about $23.20 if you use a 20% off coupon when it's on sale for $29.00.
    Otherwise, if you're going to spend about $40.00 plus tax, the now going rate, I'd wait and save up for a Makita or other name brand.
    Heatgain (Gary)
    The Irate Magistrate
    Neutral & Detached

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast