autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Process for correction??? Is this Right???

Okay so after the scratches from the 2 trips to the swirl o matic the wife took and the fingernail scratches my buddy put in after removing my badges ( he did an awesome job on his car and said he could do the same on mine. I am really disappointed in him with this. You can see where the letters used to be not from faded paint but because finger nail scratches surround where he scratched off the adhesive. It is a temp fix with klasse AIO but still needs to be permanantly fixed. AHHHHHHHHHHHHH I am so mad) Anyway I need to remove the swirls. they are not bad yet and I have never done this before, let alone on a new car. So please let me know if I need to adjust the process or if part of the plan is wrong or if you think I am going overboard and doing correction too soon.

1. Wash
    2. Dry
    3. Clay
    4. Apply tape over body lines
    5. Wolfgang total swirl remover with orange light cutting pad @ 5-6 speed on pc 7424

6. Wolfgang finishing glaze with white polishing pad @ 4-4.5 speed on pc 7424

7. Klasse AIO with ???? ( would a red pad be to soft )pad @ 3.5-4 speed on pc 7424

8. Hand wax car to a glorious shine

I will not be able to do the whole car at the same time so I plan on doing it one panel at a time. I will probably be able to get maybe ˝ the car done on the weekend. However given that I will be driving the vehicle after its initial wash, before finishing the whole car, how do you recommend to prepare the panel before claying? Just doing a quick detailer wipe down or an IPA wipe down? I have never done an IPA wipe down before so if someone could explain the benefits and the process for doing it over an ONR quick detailer wipe down I would appreciate it.

Also Do you just use smaller diameter pads to get into the curves on curved panels ? I cant think of any other way. I am thinking of getting the griots garage 3 in polisher but if i can use 4 in pads on the pc7424 I cant think of where 1 in would make that much of a difference. Plus not all the pads are offered in 3 in, as far as a quick look told me.

Thanks for checking it over and any suggestions you may have

TS

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Process for correction??? Is this Right???

badge removal -- use dental floss doubled over several times for strength. Use 3M Wax/Adhesiver Remover to remove any remaining glue or gunk.

Polishing --- your steps are valid and you could skip the AIO step as wanted. The only benefit is that it would remove any oils left of paint from polishes but improper buffing could add swirls. Gotta measure benefit vs. loss.

Iso wipe down --- get some rubbing alcohol and mix with a bottle of water. So vary amount of water and really decided mostly on which rubbing alcohol you use. (its comes in different strengths which is more of less water initially in it anyhoo) . You spray the area, allow to sit and wipe off never allowing to dry completely.

PC 4 inch --- if you would like to use the 4 inch (cyclo) pads on the PC, then purchase the Edge adapter. The pads snap in/out rather quickly and get into most smaller areas well.

Griots 3 inch --- great buffer for super small areas and glass. Its not as powerful as PC but can be a valuable choice.

Scott