autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Help with newbies first detail

I purchased the menzerna ceramic 5.5 porter cable kit from AG for my 2002 Black yukon denali xl that is all swirled up. I'll start with my process and hopefully someone could give me some assistance on how to complete the tasks more efficiently and effectively. First i start with SIP on the foam wool pad. Work it in at 6 and move down to 5 when its closer to be broken down. Ive been doing at least 3-4 passes to remove the swirls and they still dont seem to all come out of the clear. Ive also tried a couple passes with the orange pad and still some swirls stay. After i get as much of the swirls out ive used the white pad to apply the PO 83. Ive done about three panels and not exactly completely satisfied with the results considering ive spent nearly 7 hours doin just the polishing
    So my question is Do i have the right materials/equipment to complete the project and get great results?
    Thanks i appreciate any input and here is a link to the kit i bought
    Menzerna kit, 5.5 lake country pads, porter cable menzerna kit, ceramic clear polishing kit, Mercedes polishing kit

PS. They are swirls that dont get caught by the fingernail.
    Last edited by robbor6386; 03-22-2009 at 03:19 PM. Reason: added picture

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help with newbies first detail

Hey hows it going my friend. Well when you use the purple wool pad, it actually leaves its own marring, swirls..etc behind(this is expected). This kit will definately get those swirls and light scratches out no problem. Make sure to really work the panel for a good 3-maybe 4 minutes. This really makes a huge difference!

If you dont mind experimenting, you should try out the Orange Pad with the SIP on it (instead of the purple wool). I dont think you will need the purple wool to be honest because i believe those swirls can be easily removed with the orange. Then just finish off with your white pad and PO 83

You have everything you need to make this Denali beautiful! Ohh and yes it does take quite a while to do, expecially the polishing.
    Last edited by AudiTTman; 03-22-2009 at 03:42 PM.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the quick response but i have experimented with the orange and sip and worked it in for at least 5 mins before even thinking of hitting it with the wool but to no avail. could it be that i would need multiple passes at 5 mins each with this combo of orange and sip?

Post Thanks / Like

You very well could need multiple passes with the Orange and SIP. If possible, do you think you could post a picture of what the paint looks like as of right now?? or is the picture above just that?

Post Thanks / Like

Is that a before or after picture? You might need a more aggresive polish. Remember also that the PC is not that strong. It will take a bit longer with the PC, than it will with the flex.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for the poor quality pictures there from my phone. I dont know if you can tell from the pics but there is still swirls. Here they are

Last edited by robbor6386; 03-22-2009 at 05:15 PM. Reason: wrong pic

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

loudog the pic in the first post is before anything was done. Post #6 is after many passes (at least 3 at 5 mins a piece) with orange pad and SIP

Post Thanks / Like

Those actually look like RIDS to me. Wet sanding might be the only way to get rid of those, or, if you have access to a rotary buffer. Can you feel those particular scratches in the paint?

However, you can always get a more abrasive polish

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

AudiTTman i cant feel the scratches in the paint at all. I do not have access to a rotary buffer. How did i get these "RIDS"? Also could i find something more abrasive OTC locally so i dont have to wait for shipping? Some type of Meguirs or 3m possibly? What do you recommend. Thanks again for your help it is much appreciated

Post Thanks / Like

OTC you can use Meguiars new compound. I would work the SIP a few times with the orange pad. Then step down to a white pad and SIP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast