autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool New Member, I have some ?'s

Hello, all. Just wanted to say that this site is great and has been a help for me so far.
    This is what I just bought: Chemical Guy's pro polish, wet mirror finish, Factory sealant, & butter wet wax. Also a porter cable 7424, citrus was & gloss, bug& tar remover and a medimum duty clay bar with the QD'R.

I have some ?'s I am going to detail my 08 Tundra Forest Metallic green. I just washed it twice this week and I'm still waiting on my porter cable and pads. Yesterday I tryed out a few spots on my truck useing the clay bar & QD. The clay does work, very smooth, but I have some left over streaks after the clay. I did not wash it after the clay . Will the wash remove the streaks and left over clay smeres? I thought that the QD will take care of that. It seems that it's a B**** to remove and it will take me forever to get clean. I am going to do a full polish, sealant and wax, Am I being to anal about removing the clay streaks first or should I just wash It after and get to the ploishing. Was I not useing enough QD? It seems that I will probally use the whole bottle on this big ass truck, Is it nornal to get the streaks after claying?
    Thanks...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Member, I have some ?'s

Sounds like you werent using enough QD, or using a good bit of pressure. But they will come out during the wash or when you polish it, not to worry.

Post Thanks / Like

polish will remove it and like D&D said, the clay should be gliding across the wet paint and the only resistance should be the gritty sound that it makes on the first couple passing motions. After a few strokes it should start to glide smoother until you no long feel any omperfections. Wipe the area clean, knead the clay to a nice clean cake and go to the next spot.

Make sure these streaks aren't actually marring from the clay which can happen. But this would also come out with the polishing.

Welcome!

Post Thanks / Like

If you were using the clay in the open outdoors, it's possible that the liquid dried faster than you could wipe it. That happened to me when I first clayed my truck. I corrected this by working the clay in smaller areas and drying as soon as possible with the mf towel. Solved the streaking problem for me. Oh, and as mentioned by dublifecrisis, knead the clay often so that the picked up particles will not scratch your finish.

Post Thanks / Like

Rinsing/washing the vehicle should remove the streaks. It sounds like you weren't spray enough QD. When claying, you don't use the QD like a QD...you really have to spray the area very liberally for good lubrication, and then rub the clay onto the paint. Then dry the area off, and move onto the next section.
    08 Subaru WRX

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: New Member, I have some ?'s

Thanks for the replys & the tips. I just got back from claying the entire truck at the local pressure washer bay's. I used alot of lube this time but still had the streaks and that wet look after claying. I said screw it & continued to clay, then I washed it with the citrus gloss and a couple caps of the bug & tar remover, dryed it and it loooks perfect. Very, very smooth now;clay kicks A$$!!! I just don't see how some people can clay & just wipe it off with QD and be fine, I guess it's an art and takes some time to get good at it. Now hopfully tomorrow I can get to ploishing, I'll have to start early to stay out of the sun, no garage acess at this time. The weather is nice here in Southern CA, will I be ok for polish If I keep my truck clean ( quick wipe down) say if I wait a day or 2 before I start the polish, sealant & wax???

Thanks...

Post Thanks / Like

Washing it with the new foam gun, when they go on sale, would be a great first step