autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Can a White LC Pad alone correct swirls?

Ok, well i usually get these streaks( long lines that look holographic) in my paint after i dry it off with my Waffle Weave Cobra Guzzler. I found a spot on the car and thought about doing a little experiment. Since it was basically streaking/swirling left by the towel, i took out some Distilled water, dosed the White LC pad with it, and then worked it on the panel for like 10 secs. It actually did get rid of the marks and im wondering if im just dryin buffing??? I only did it one time on that panel and wasnt going to proceed if its a bad idea

However, i did like it because it got me a nice shine, and i didnt have to use any Menzerna lol. I already feel like this may have been the dumbest thing i have every used on my car, but it was a one time shot

This is done with a PC by the way!.!
    Last edited by AudiTTman; 03-18-2009 at 03:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can a White LC Pad alone correct swirls?

Quote Originally Posted by AudiTTman View Post
    Ok, well i usually get these streaks in my paint after i dry it off with my Waffle Weave Cobra Guzzler. I found a spot on the car and thought about doing a little experiment. Since it was basically streaking/swirling left by the towel, i took out some Distilled water, dosed the White LC pad with it, and then worked it on the panel for like 10 secs. It actually did get rid of the marks and im wondering if im just dryin buffing??? I only did it one time on that panel and wasnt going to proceed if its a bad idea

However, i did like it because it got me a nice shine, and i didnt have to use any Menzerna lol. I already feel like this may have been the dumbest thing i have every used on my car, but it was a one time shot

This is done with a PC by the way!.!
    While I can't say what happened in your case, I have long felt that a lot of swirls and minor marring is actually in the layers of wax/sealant on a vehicle.
    My feeling that the wax/sealant buildup contributes is the reason I use a cleaner/prep every 3 to 6 months. I wax/seal at least monthly and there has to be at least some buildup after that many applications.
    Keep in mind that water is an abrasive, (Look at the Grand Canyon ), although it is a mild one. That might be all that was needed to level your wax/sealant out.
    Charles
    The Rainmaker

Post Thanks / Like

I believe your right Charles. Because this doesn't look like its in the CC. It looks like someone took an oily thin comb, and ran it down the doors. So would you say its a bad idea to do this lil cleanup ? hahah

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AudiTTman View Post
    I believe your right Charles. Because this doesn't look like its in the CC. It looks like someone took an oily thin comb, and ran it down the doors. So would you say its a bad idea to do this lil cleanup ? hahah
    Usually polishing without some type of lubricant is not a good idea. Polishes and compounds have that and I don't think they use water.
    As far as whether or not it is doing any damage, I would have to guess that if you don't see any damage, it's not happening.
    Personally, I would probably use a paint cleaner. The drawback to that is removal of the old wax/sealant rather than just leveling it.

You might want to use a QD as an experiment rather than plain water.
    That might do the leveling with out removing the wax/sealant and the QD should be a lot more lubricating than the water.

If you do use either the water or a QD, do a panel and inspect it thoroughly before doing the entire vehicle. Unfortunately, it's a lot easier to screw things up than it is to correct them.
    Charles
    The Rainmaker

Post Thanks / Like

If you are using the Cobra, which may be 80/20, I suspect that is your problem. I recently learned the hard way that one of my Big Blue Waffle weaves did a nice job at giving me the dreaded swirl. Through research, I learned this towel is in fact 80/20 and will never touch my car again.

There is one Cobra waffle which is 70/30 but I do not have this one yet and hope the Green 750 will do the trick with some DQ help and 4-1 in the soap.

Post Thanks / Like

DiPaoro, its deff that waffle weave for me (80/20) AHHH!!!! I had no idea it was going to affect the paint until i read a thread on here about 70/30 being much more paint friendly, its a shame i spent 30 bucks on it!

Well ive been going over the areas with some top inspection and a 70/30 cobra purple towel. It seems to help out a whole bunch. I just cant saturate the towel too much or then i started putting lines back into the paint lol ahhah

Post Thanks / Like

So when your towel gets saturated it marrs your paint? Really odd

I've read both sides of the argument that the blend doesn't really matter and 80/20 can be softer than a 70/30

May be a stupid question, but are you sure your not picking up very tiny particles/grit?

Or maybe you have some ridiculously soft audi clear...... It is possible

I know they don't sell them here but Chem guys miracle dryer towel is awesome. Its huge, plush, silk banded, and on sale right now. I only use my waffle weaves when those towels aren't washed

Post Thanks / Like

well i did drive the car one day after the wash, so i could most deff be pickin up tiny piece of grit. I believe I'm going to properly go thru the steps and polish like i normally do and hopefully ill get the results. I kinda slacked on this one because i found out that it was gooin to pour rain tomorrow lol.

Post Thanks / Like

My understanding is best to use the leave blower...which I am now doing. Then, use some QD with either the waffle or better yet the 70/30 guy. Also, I just bought the sponge from Lowes...and hoping these changes in my process will keep my black car in better shape.

For everyone, feel free to call me Rick...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW View Post
    Usually polishing without some type of lubricant is not a good idea. Polishes and compounds have that and I don't think they use water.
    As far as whether or not it is doing any damage, I would have to guess that if you don't see any damage, it's not happening.
    Personally, I would probably use a paint cleaner. The drawback to that is removal of the old wax/sealant rather than just leveling it.

You might want to use a QD as an experiment rather than plain water.
    That might do the leveling with out removing the wax/sealant and the QD should be a lot more lubricating than the water.

If you do use either the water or a QD, do a panel and inspect it thoroughly before doing the entire vehicle. Unfortunately, it's a lot easier to screw things up than it is to correct them.
    A white pad alone can induce marring. you probally have no LSP in the section now also. Use a IPA wipedown in that area. This will remove the LSP, so you can see if any swirls ae under it. You might need a paint cleanser to remove your wax build-up, then just reapply. Or you might need a minor polish like menzerna 87MC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast