autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

nooks and crannys

ok, so it's obvious that we all have OCD when it comes to cleaning cars. let's get that out of the way.

I got to wondering today how to be more effective when doing detailing for $$ and one of the things that pops up in my mind is how long it actually takes to wash the vehicle. Now when I say wash, I'm talking about cleaning in gas cap/filler areas, taking license plates off, cleaning seams around doors, hatches, grills, fog lights. badging. We're talking all the nooks and crannys being cleared of dirt, grime, bugs etc...

My question for the pros is, do you ever cut back on any of this when the request is a 1 step or even less, like a wash-n-wax? Seems the answer is no which means these smaller mini details are less profitable in the end right?

I did a mini detail which was an exterior only wash and seal and doing the wheels etc , it still took me 3 hours. Most of this time was spent actually washing the car.

Your thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: nooks and crannys

A wash takes me about 2 hrs (claying too) and a one step is hard to say........maybe about 6 hrs? it's hard to say. But I would get some S100 Total Cycle Cleaner (cheaper than total auto wash) and it will clean that puppy up for you, if you are a in a hurry. and also it will strip the LSP on it .
    Last edited by Old Pirate; 02-16-2009 at 09:50 PM.
    AMG Classic Automotive Detailing 45 year's and still going at it!

Post Thanks / Like

Angelo is right about spraying with a cleaner first, it will help loosen the grime in those bad areas you are talking about. This will make the washing go a lot faster. Here is a cool video of a SUV wash.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mkvg_aFuz0]YouTube - Washing your car featuring Pinnacle Natural Brilliance[/video]

Post Thanks / Like

Take me about 30 - 45 min to fully wash and dry a car using ONR. Claying adds another 30min.

Super Member Joshs2013MSAltimaSL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say that using some type of TAW will help speed things up, and it does seem like if you spend a LONG time on just a wash and wax that the price vs. time spent don't really add up right, but I think a lot of it has to do with how we do things personally. It might just be in your blood to take your time and get everything lol. I know sometimes I would go to just wash and dry my car and call it quits, but after seeing all pretty I'll end up doing something here and a little there lol.
    Be sure to check out http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-everyone.html. All pictures are welcome!!

Post Thanks / Like

I dont do other peoples cars for this exact reason. I am way to anal and take way to long, I could never make a profit from it. I detail my own cars not because I like to (ok, sometimes a afternoon in the garage alone is nice), but because I appreciate clean cars and can save money doing it myself. There are many weekends that it is hard to find the time to wash or I really have to bring myself to do it.

A hand wash and dry using the traditional methods take me about 2 hours. ONR takes about 1 hour and I always lay down some spray wax after ONR in my final drying pass. Add another 45 minutes to clean wheels and shine the tires and another 2 hours to clay and wax, regardless of method.

I just don't see how a $45-$60 bill fits spending 3 or 4 hours on a car. My neighbor is a detailer though, and he can wash, clay and wax a car in 1 to 1.5 hours using a pressure washer, degreaser, super fast wash, quick pass with clay, dry with water blade and chamois and hand wax. Then go around the jambs with a dry towel. Wheels just get power sprayed with degreaser and soap and spray the shine on there. Paying for that kind of treatment would make me cringe, but to a lot of people, thats all they expect once or twice a year.

Post Thanks / Like

yup, Josh and lgtspecb are along the lines of what I was trying to get at.

If I'm getting $150-$200+ for a 2 step and it takes me allll day long ok-it's not a lot of money but at the end of the day it's certainly a lot to the customer. I still have to do all this prep work, wash pads, towels etc...
    but a package 1 let's call it, you still have to all that before and after work plus spend lots of time.

and Josh-exactly! It's in my blood. We would be in the same bad situation if we owned a full corner operation with a tunnel. We wouldn't make any money because instead of managing the books we'd be out screaming at our employees for missing a spot or using the wheel towel on the paint...LOL

anyways- is till enjoy the 1 steppers at the end.