autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thoughts on using a paint cleaner/cleanser after polish???

I see people doing this before the LSP. Is there any benefit to this? Is it filling like a glaze? Is a wipedown of a prep solvent good enough? I have seen people are talking about DODO's lime prime and am wondering if it is worth it?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Thoughts on using a paint cleaner/cleanser after polish???

I would use a cleaner polish before applying an LSP to clean up any existing protection and to brighten up the paint before applying that LSP.

If you were just doing scratch or swirl removal to a vehicle you really should use a polish to bring the shine back to the paint. Some polishes have fillers and some do not. Personally, I like the polishes that do not have any fillers as it probably would interfere with my LSP.
    08 Subaru WRX

Post Thanks / Like

most the time after a polishing (mechanically abrading the surface) the finish is ready for the LSP. Paint cleansing lotions (Pinnacle, P21S) are chemical paint cleansers and do offer some very minor filling but should not be needed once polishing was done correctly IMO.

Now you could use a pure glaze for additional wetness prior to LSP as long as its compatible with the final product.

Post Thanks / Like

I really like using Pinnacle Paintwork Cleanse after I use an abrasive polish. It does not fill much. I dont have to worry about tape lines, or any left over polish residue because the cleaner will take care of it. Its one more step that really pays off in my book.

Try it both ways...

Post Thanks / Like

Wax Application – for a pristine paint film surface after the application of detailer’s clay or polishing, use a chemical paint cleaner to ensure the surface is clean and the sub-surface is free of any grease or other residue, this will enable an efficient bonding with the paint surface and also ensure product durability.
    Last edited by TOGWT; 11-25-2008 at 05:21 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I always use a cleaner before my LSP. 50/50 does a good job, but the cleaners seem to help prep the surface better and the LSP always goes on easier and seems to hold better. IMO, it is worth it to use one.
    What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post
    Wax Application – for a pristine paint film surface after the application of detailer’s clay or polishing, use a chemical paint cleaner to ensure the surface is clean and the sub-surface is free of any grease or other residue, this will enable an efficient bonding with the paint surface and also ensure product durability.
    . I started doing it most of the time after watching videos by a detailer from the UK. He used the chemical cleaner after a polish on each of his details. It always seems to make a visible difference when I do it.

Post Thanks / Like

Are we talking about a cleaner polish or glaze? Or are you referring to using an IPA soluton or similar to remove wax/oils...?

I will use an IPA solution after doing a test spot to ensure it's free of any marring/swirls/srcatches that the oils in the cleaner can hide.

As far as wiping the whole car down with something like IPA after I've just used a cleaner polish, then no. Maybe it depends on what products you are working with, but in my book, that is taking a step backwards in the goal to perfection.
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Detailed Reflections

Post Thanks / Like

Whenever i do a chemical cleaning polish after i do paint correction ,my pad is always filled with dirt,polishing oils and who knows whatever else.It deosnt really matter if i did an IPA wipedown or not the pad alwyas ends up being filthy. I do the Ipa wipe down to check my work but i use chemical cleaner to improve bonding and paint clarity.
    Detailed Reflections

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast