autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Washing: Mitts and Method

I currently use a few 5 gallon buckets and this:

I am really interested in using a foam gun. From the pic it looks nice with all that thick foam, which is what i hate about my current set up...not enough foam!

Has anyone used it with the DP foam solution? And reviews?

Also I dont like the above mitt because I feel it holds too much dirt and water and not much else. Im leaning towards a sheepskin or Schmitt.

Any experiences with those?

thanks

Kris
    Kris R
    360detail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Washing: Mitts and Method

I've always used a ShMitt, but occassionally will use the mitt you pictured just for a temporary change. I always go back to the ShMitt which I feel holds plenty of lube and releases dirt easily.
    Many have said that they dedicate those you pictured to their ONR washes.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

I always use sheepskin, or fluffy MF towels for ONR washes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robb01 View Post
    I always use sheepskin, or fluffy MF towels for ONR washes
    Ron !!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

i have used the foam fun with dp extreme foam and it is unbelievable it creates almost a snow like foam just on setting 4 you can also dilute it down alot. As for the mitts i either use a shmitt or a grout sponge from lowes

Post Thanks / Like

I use the same mitt as the blue ones you have pictured. I like them as I cut out the inside liner, that allows me to quickly rotate the mitt so I can clean more of the car before rinsing.

Regarding the foam gun I'm not convinced it does much. I know people are into the suds but my main goal of buying it was to remove or loosen dirt. Not sure how effective it is as my rinse bucket can still get quite dirty, maybe some drodirt ps off or is loosened. Next Spring I want to try to wash the car with the foam gun as I hope is the constant flow of soapy water reduces the chance of swirls even more.

Howard

Post Thanks / Like

I use two sheepskin mitts for the car body, one for the upper half and one for the lower, and one of the pictured mitts for the wheels. Works pretty well for me.

Post Thanks / Like

DP Xtreme Foam Formula will be your best shampoo for the foam gun! The process I like the most is presoak your car with a foam gun first (do not rinse it, just proesoak it with a foam gun), and let it dwell for 5 mins or so. Then rinse it off really well, and then wash. This will remove a lot of dirt before you even start washing. Now if you will rinse before you presoak, foam won't cling well to the paint, and it won't presoak as well, meaning less dirt will be removed.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
    2008 Acura MDX Sport white pearl (daily driver)
    2009 BMW E70 X5 4.8i jet black (garage queen)
    2013 BMW F25 X3 2.8 jet black (wife's car)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by supercharged View Post
    DP Xtreme Foam Formula will be your best shampoo for the foam gun! The process I like the most is presoak your car with a foam gun first (do not rinse it, just proesoak it with a foam gun), and let it dwell for 5 mins or so. Then rinse it off really well, and then wash. This will remove a lot of dirt before you even start washing. Now if you will rinse before you presoak, foam won't cling well to the paint, and it won't presoak as well, meaning less dirt will be removed.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
    Two interesting comments. First, not to rinse the car first. Which goes against the popular video I see on Paintcare and Detainling site......I will try that next Spring. Also, to let the soap dwell for 5 minutes......whew.....that sounds like a long time especially in the summer. Right now I'm doing a minute to a minute and a half.

Howard

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan View Post
    Two interesting comments. First, not to rinse the car first. Which goes against the popular video I see on Paintcare and Detainling site......I will try that next Spring. Also, to let the soap dwell for 5 minutes......whew.....that sounds like a long time especially in the summer. Right now I'm doing a minute to a minute and a half.

Howard
    Correct. I seen that being done on DetailingWorld and decided to try it. I love it so far! Makes washing even easier. And speaking of summer, I have the same problem. Just wash in the shade, or early morning, or later in the evening.
    2008 Acura MDX Sport white pearl (daily driver)
    2009 BMW E70 X5 4.8i jet black (garage queen)
    2013 BMW F25 X3 2.8 jet black (wife's car)