autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

New to detailing -- comments on my routine?

Hello,

I am about to purchase a silver Lexus IS 350. I'd like to learn to handle most detailing tasks myself. I've read through this board and come up with the following routine and products, which I'd really appreciate any comments on. Note that I'm planning to work only by hand, so if I need machine polishing periodically, I will take the car to a detailer for that. Also, I live in an apartment, which means no access to a hose.

1. Washing -- Use ONR with either a microfiber-covered sponge, a microfiber mitt, or a sheepskin mitt? Seal wheels with Opti-Seal, which hopefully will make it possible to clean brake dust just with ONR and a boar's-hair wheel brush.

2. I'm planning to get VentureShield on the front of the car, which I'll wash with ONR and apply Plexus to.

3. Every six months, clean paint with Klasse AIO.

4. Every 3-4 months, apply two coats of paint sealant -- Wolfgang or Opti-Seal?

5. Is it worth topping the paint sealant with a carnauba paste wax? If so, which one? Ease of application is critically important. Pinnacle Souveran seems to get good reviews in this regard, but seems very expensive.

6. In between sealant/wax applications, use Optimum Spray Wax as a wax booster.

7. For tires, apply Optimum Tire Shine.

8. For trim, also apply Optimum Tire Shine? Or Aerospace 303?

9. Clean and condition leather seats with Zaino Z-9 and Z-10.

10. Apply Optimum Protectant Plus to dash.

Again, would really appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New to detailing -- comments on my routine?

1.) These are my favorite: Cobra Blue Micro-Chenille Wash Mitt: Microfiber Wash Mitt, car wash, shampoo mitt. Get a pair of them because it usually takes me two wash mitts to fully clean a car. Right now they are on BOGO which is a great deal.

4.) Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant, and Deep Gloss Spritz Sealant for in-between Paint Sealant applications.

5.) For looks, possibly. For protection, no. It would be hard to maintain the sealant if you had a carnauba wax on top of it. Personally, I'd rather just apply two or three coats of Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant and be on my way.

6.) With Wolfgang DGPS, you would maintain with the Spritz. You would maintain Opti-Seal with the Optimum Car Wax.

9.) Leatherique or Lexol. Zaino leather cleaner and conditioner are not very good products.

10.) 1Z Einszett Cockpit Premium for the interior !!

I have never tried some of the products you listed. Hopefully other members can chime in with their recommendations.
    Last edited by Emile; 11-15-2008 at 01:50 PM.
    08 Subaru WRX

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much. Why do you like the Wolfgang sealant instead of Opti-Seal? The Optimum Car Wax says it can be used over a sealant or carnauba -- could I apply it over Wolfgang? Also, I've heard some good things about the Zaino leather products -- what makes Lexol or Leatherique better?

Last question -- What tools/technique should I use for applying wax or sealant around the logos on the car?

Quote Originally Posted by Emile View Post
    1.) These are my favorite: Cobra Blue Micro-Chenille Wash Mitt: Microfiber Wash Mitt, car wash, shampoo mitt. Get a pair of them because it usually takes me two wash mitts to fully clean a car. Right now they are on BOGO which is a great deal.

4.) Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant, and Deep Gloss Spritz Sealant for in-between Paint Sealant applications.

5.) For looks, possibly. For protection, no. It would be hard to maintain the sealant if you had a carnauba wax on top of it. Personally, I'd rather just apply two or three coats of Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant and be on my way.

6.) With Wolfgang DGPS, you would maintain with the Spritz. You would maintain Opti-Seal with the Optimum Car Wax.

9.) Leatherique or Lexol. Zaino leather cleaner and conditioner are not very good products.

10.) 1Z Einszett Cockpit Premium for the interior !!

I have never tried some of the products you listed. Hopefully other members can chime in with their recommendations.

Post Thanks / Like

Shawn, I commend you on your plan for caring properly for your new Lexus. It will look great for years and years.

Like Emile, I wonder if you really want to top your Wolfgang with a carnauba wax. Once applied the carnauba pretty well commits you to continuing with the carnauba until the wax is removed--at least so says the consensual wisdom. If you choose that course, you will want to revise your plan accordingly. The only way to find out whether you prefer the look of pure sealant or sealant topped with carnauba is to experiment. At this point it is all personal preference.

Good luck!

Cheers,
    Al

Post Thanks / Like

My thoughts are that Wolfgang Paint Sealant looks pretty good all by itself. The only thing I've ever topped Wolfgang with that made it look better was more Wolfgang. 3 coats of WG is aweome as far as I'm concerned. I wouldn't use any wax on top of it. There isn't much gain in doing so.

And as far as trim goes, don't use tire shine if you have other products that are meant for trim. Aerospace 303 works great and is designed to protect trim from UV rays and oxidation. Tire Shine is not designed for such things. Always try to use the right tool and products for the job.

Since you are looking at using Wolfgang products anyway, might I suggest looking into their leather care products. I love the entire Wolfgang line and have found little that beats them in performance and looks. Some things are on par with them, but I haven't used anything better.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I'll try the Wolfgang Paint Sealant.

Any advice on application? Specifically, two question:

1. How do I apply the sealant in and around logos on the car (i.e., on the trunk where it says Lexus IS 350)? Any particular applicators that are helpful?

2. To apply multiple coats, do I need to keep the car in the garage the entire time for a couple of days? Or can I apply a coat one evening, use the car the next day, and then apply another coat that night? I'm worried about the car getting dirty in between coats (and am not sure if it's OK to wash the car again).

Thank you all for your very helpful advice.

Quote Originally Posted by OCDetails View Post
    My thoughts are that Wolfgang Paint Sealant looks pretty good all by itself. The only thing I've ever topped Wolfgang with that made it look better was more Wolfgang. 3 coats of WG is aweome as far as I'm concerned. I wouldn't use any wax on top of it. There isn't much gain in doing so.

And as far as trim goes, don't use tire shine if you have other products that are meant for trim. Aerospace 303 works great and is designed to protect trim from UV rays and oxidation. Tire Shine is not designed for such things. Always try to use the right tool and products for the job.

Since you are looking at using Wolfgang products anyway, might I suggest looking into their leather care products. I love the entire Wolfgang line and have found little that beats them in performance and looks. Some things are on par with them, but I haven't used anything better.

Post Thanks / Like

I would use any of the applicator pads that Auto Geek sells !
    The 303 Aerospace is a brilliant product for tires and dash it will repel dust and prodect from UV.

Good choice ! what the others have said with regards to paint protection. If you really want to, i would go for the Wolfgang Fuzion , that way you have the best of both worlds !

Hope this helps

Regards ,

Mario
    Last edited by polishdoc; 11-15-2008 at 11:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are worried about the emblems then you can always tape them off. Personally I don't worry too much about them. I just go in afterwards with a pointy pick and a microfiber and clean them out. It ensures even coverage of the product over all the visible painted surfaces and takes less time than taping off emblems sometimes. I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Sealants require 18 to 24 hours of cure time. That doesn't mean you can't drive it, it just means you don't necessarily want to get it wet or apply anything else over the top of it. If you have the ability to leave it in the garage for 24 hours, then that would be ideal. The way I get my Wolfgang layers on is to just put a new coat on every week when I do the weekly wash until I get my three or four layers. There isn't any rush to get them piled on. Here are some of my favorite pictures of mulitple coats of Wolfgang. This is what you have to look forward to.

Post Thanks / Like

Are any applicator pads small enough to use to get in and around the emblems? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by polishdoc View Post
    I would use any of the applicator pads that Auto Geek sells !
    The 303 Aerospace is a brilliant product for tires and dash it will repel dust and prodect from UV.

Good choice ! what the others have said with regards to paint protection. If you really want to i would go for the Wolfgang Fuzion , that way you have the best of both worlds !

Hope this helps

Regards ,

Mario

Post Thanks / Like

This might be useful !

Search Result

Regards ,

Mario

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast