autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Question about pressure washers

Since I am a newbie I just wanted to know if any of you detailers use a pressure washer as part of you routine? I have heard some good things and some not so good things about pressure washers. If I do get a pressure washer it will have to be electric. Your views and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question about pressure washers

Ive never used one, and don't think there is a real need for one. I rinse the car thoroughly, wash, and rinse off. I think the risk of damage is higher w/ a concentrated pressure of water

Post Thanks / Like

I think a foam gun from Autogeek would be a lot cheaper and just as effective as it allows you to spray the soap/water mixture very easily at hard-to-reach places.

A pressure washer is fine as long as you know how to use it, but I would smack somebody silly if they ever tried to use one on my car.

Post Thanks / Like

I would smack them TOO!!! especially if he tried to use it on the engine!!!!

Electric pressure washers are better for cars because they dont have the power that gas units have, I have one, however the time it takes to set it up, break it down isnt just isnt worth it. You still have to scrub the car and the rims to get it clean. In the past I have rarely used it on cars, however I just purchased a foam cannon and it is pretty cool so I might use the pressure washer to soap it up then I will carry on with a conventional wash.

Post Thanks / Like

A pressure washer is dangerous on paint . I use one when I am getting ready to paint to remove any trash and possibly loose paint . I have seen lots of paint come off with a pressure washer . To use in very dirty wheel wells would be Ok but for me NO further .
    Mike Williamson
    1971 Buick GSX Stage 1
    1967 Buick GS 400

Post Thanks / Like

I use a PW for to get red clay off paint on the lower half of vehicles, for wheel wells and tires, and on engines. Haven't had one problem.
    The trick is to use your common sense. DO NOT get too close to anything with the tip of the PW, or your paint will peel off like a brown banana skin.
    My PW is an electric, 1700psi. I'd be afraid to use a gas powered, higher pressure PW.
    Last edited by heatgain; 10-21-2008 at 09:26 AM.
    Heatgain (Gary)
    The Irate Magistrate
    Neutral & Detached

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by heatgain View Post
    The trick is to use your common sense.
    Amen

Quote Originally Posted by heatgain View Post
    DO NOT get too close to anything with the tip of the PW, or your paint will peel off like a brown banana skin. My PW is an electric, 1700psi. I'd be afraid to use a gas powered, higher pressure PW.
    Using a gas pressure washer is fine so long as it has a "fan" feature. In other words, it has a setting where the water doesn't come out like a jet, rather in a fan "V" shape which is safe on paint.

I have borrowed a pressure washer before and if I ever buy one, I would get a gas one for two reasons; 1) they tend to be much more reliable than the electric Husky or Karcher's (hence their higher price) and 2) the gas ones generally have a fitting to fit a Cam Spray foam cannon and the electric ones generally do not.

Post Thanks / Like

I use my gas troy built 2500psi after polishing. It comes with 4 tips. one is a gentle automobile washing tip. I use it to get all the dust out of the crevaces, wash wheel wells and rims. Don't really use it to wash the paint, except on my work truck, which the company owns.

Post Thanks / Like

I have 3, all gas. Bought 2 at swap meets as they were like new. I think 2 are 3500 psi and ones 3000 psi. There nice and I try to use them every detail I do correction work on to start. But on some cars just ONR. I've been thinking about the cam spray electric one as a electric one would be so much nicer. And like others have said just use common sense with, don't put it a inch away from your paint and expect it to be safe. I use it on everything, motors, wheel wells, door jambs, the whole car, lol. And usually you have different heads (like from a straight line to a fan spray of like 45 or so).

Post Thanks / Like

On most of the cars I buy to sell I put them on the lift and walk under them with 3500 psi gas PW and clean the underside real good . amazing what changes it will make and potential buyer view points of clean under body and wheel wells .
    Mike Williamson
    1971 Buick GSX Stage 1
    1967 Buick GS 400

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast