autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Wool substitute??

Still learning to use my Makita rotary on a variety of vehicles. Usually friends who don't mind a free car polish and the cars aren't exactly new so any flaws are OK with them. Mainly using the supplied wool pad with OC and a Megs W8008 foam pad with OP before waxing or sealing. I am still finding the wool a real challenge. Too much gumming up and grabbing as I use it. Having a herniated disc in my lower back area makes me nervous about any sudden jerking as I am leaniing over a car. What pad can I substitute that would have a similar cut but less grabbing and chatter? If I do decide to go to a foam cutting pad what is the ideal compound? Should I be looking for an even gentler pad and polish for a real shiny finish? I will be in Florida in two weeks and my CC is waiting for nice big box from Meghan.

Pat.
    2006 Black Rav4.

Makita 9227C, UDM, Optimum polishes,Menzerna Power Finish, Pinnacle XMT polishes, Poorboy's Sealant, Collnite Insulator wax, various 4,6.5,and 8 inch CCS pads. Edge pads. Microfiber towels galore. And a big thanks to Meghan for shipping to Walt Disney World.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wool substitute??

Are you keeping the pad clean while polishing, maybe try a different brand of wool pad. I use 3m wool pads without problems, give them a shot and see what happens. I realize you might run into a few problems starting out but the wool pad is the easiest pad to learn with.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been running a flat bladed screwdriver through the pad once it starts looking gummed up, some improvement but still grabby sometimes. I don't want to actually wash it because I was told to use it dry, well compound on it but not damp.

Pat.
    2006 Black Rav4.

Makita 9227C, UDM, Optimum polishes,Menzerna Power Finish, Pinnacle XMT polishes, Poorboy's Sealant, Collnite Insulator wax, various 4,6.5,and 8 inch CCS pads. Edge pads. Microfiber towels galore. And a big thanks to Meghan for shipping to Walt Disney World.

Post Thanks / Like

Usually if it becomes grabby like that with a wool pad is because your using too much product.

Post Thanks / Like

Seems really strange that a wool pad would make things more difficult to buff/control. I'd say it makes for easier buffing because they glide over the surface much easier than foam. Maybe the pad that came with your machine is crappy or something’s on the finish causing interference? I'm not a big fan of using foam pads for heavy defect removal either. I'd rather use a wool pad with a lighter product than a heavier product with foam. Much easier and safer IMHO.

Post Thanks / Like

Foam / Wool Pads & Accessories for Rotary/Circular Polishers

the only substitute for wool would be foam, and as you can see alot suggest its actually a harder learning experience. Before going that route maybe its time for a couple new pads, and a tool to spur the wool pads.

Post Thanks / Like

I am wondering if perhaps my applying the product directly to the wool is the issue. Would be better to lay a bead on the paint and just pick it up as I go along with the wool? When the wool is going good I like the results its just the chattering and grabbing that concerns me.
    Any tips on how to spur the wool?

Pat.
    2006 Black Rav4.

Post Thanks / Like

That very well maybe your problem. Put a bead of polish on the vehicle and pick it up from there. Like several of us have said you might get better results with a different wool pad.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Wool substitute??

Hello, When I bought my makita 9227C-X3 kit I got the same pads that you did. These pads are quality pads. Were not quite sure but me and my Buddy thought they were 3-M pads. I clean mine with a spur which helps But a flat head screwdriver works in a pinch. I also find that I clean mine more often. Until I can get more consistant with the polish or wax take your pick.
    Like ROCKET Says that might still be your problem

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Buddy, do you actually use the longer fibred pad? I find it doesn't really finish that good with a polish so I just use the denser wool pad with compound and a foam pad for the polish.

Pat.
    2006 Black Rav4.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast