autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Dealership detail "technicians"

Ok so I work at a new car dealership and just can't take the crap work that our detailers do!!! They think they are so good and even now have to be called "detail technicians" when talking to the customers about our detail services. I just want to give you all a taste of the stuff that goes on here day in and day out!
    This is a used car that we sold getting a "protection package" (nothing more than a coat of wax that cost $500). Mind you this picture is right before they are going to deliver it to the customer that just bought it!!!!! Also this was all done with some no name rotary that has the same pad on it as the day it was bought and has never been cleaned. I feel so bad for these customers.
    Last edited by twistedframe; 09-06-2008 at 02:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dealership detail "technicians"

Unfortunately that is all to common.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

This makes me worry about the new car I just got a month ago...

Post Thanks / Like

friend of mine told me her and her husband was getting ready to buy a new hhr i told them to bring over so i can check the paint out on it. well it was trashed like normal. i went back to dealership with them and talked to sales manager and pointed everything out and told him that all swirls HAS TO BE taken care of before the car was bought. he told me he has some of the best detailers in the area. that is when i told him i been detailing cars for over 15 years. he knew he was screwed. long story short i had to go into their shop and do the paint correction cause they could not. friends ended up getting another $2000 off the price cause of how long it took and the problems they had to deal with. detail manager asked me to give his detailers advice i told them never ever ever put a rotary buffer to a car again until they get trained right. my friend dropped me $200 for saving them the extra. dealerships are like body shops get it in and get it out as fast as possible. quality usually sux

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, DetailGod!
    OT
    I use to own a GT500KR! Great Car. I still remember the VIN. Is that you car that you have in your avatar?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LE_Man View Post
    Hey, DetailGod!
    OT
    I use to own a GT500KR! Great Car. I still remember the VIN. Is that you car that you have in your avatar?

i wish it was mine

Post Thanks / Like

My last car I bought, I asked the dealership to do nothing to the paint or wheels, no wax, no tire gel, no nothing. I am glad I did! Excellent post!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I learned my own lesson about a week ago... Bought a Certified Pre-Owned Mercedes E500. Car is 2 years old and has 10k miles on it.

I saw the car in its lease-return state and it was filthy inside and out (while I never detailed a lease return before handing it in, I at least never left cans/bottles/cups/papers/etc. in the car). The paint was in decent shape (no visible scratches, and although it was dirty I didn't see any visible swirls). Of course I was assured it would be in like new condition at delivery.

I received the car two days later, and it was shiny but the paint was very gritty. I guess their "detail technicians" aren't familiar with clay, as I spent about 3 hours claying the car from top to bottom. I took less grit off my prior car the first time I clayed it (and that car had about 100k on the clock at the time). They cleaned the engine bay, and sprayed some shiny stuff everywhere.

I wiped up as much of the slick-stuff they sprayed in the engine bay as I could, and I put a coat of Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant on. I didn't polish it (which I would normally do since I induced some micromarring) as I need to get some Mezzerna Nano Polish (I have the pre-3.0 Wolfgang TSR and Mezz Final Polish, neither of which I thought would work on the hard ceramic paint). That's a project for some time in the next month or so.

FWIW, I did point out my dissatisfaction to the salesperson, who reported it to the sales manager. I told them I expected better, and that I didn't want their detailers to re-do the job. They took the bluetooth module off, which is a $350+ option to compensate, which was a nice gesture.

I would say that not all car dealer technicians are bad. Another car I picked up about a year ago was 5 years old with 50k on the clock and was detailed perfectly. There wasn't a speckle of grit in the paint, nor a swirl anywhere. All I've done in the past year is wash and wax.
    Last edited by High Technology; 09-06-2008 at 09:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

My local Cadillac dealer offers free wash with any service, seemed like a nice jesture ala Lexus. Unfortunately walking past the wash area while picking up some touch up paint I saw them washing the trucks with a broom out of a trash can full of soapy water. Needless to say all my service receipts and records now say "DO NOT WASH".

Post Thanks / Like

i have a free wash from the dealer.. they use a third party car wash that is not a chain, so i am tempted to take it to them, just out of curiosity, and before spring i will need to remove minor swirls anyway...

on that note, this is the same dealer where the salemen made sure i didnt purchase their "paint protection plan" and was pretty good about letting me know what they do to the paint and how they do it. I can say they are the better of the dealers i have seen, but im not convinced that shennanigans dont happen...

after talking with the kid, and him seeing my cars, we discussed car care, AG was mentioned, and he has a list of stuff to buy and try... he is very impressed with my level of care for idiots not touching my stuff, and i think he will make the purchases recommended
    GTI-S1000R-R1250GS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast