autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Buffer

Post Thanks / Like

First Buffer

So I am planning on ordering my first ever buffer. But I need help deciding. There is so many different types of polishers. Then there are so many brands. Then there are so many series. So I don't even know where to start in buying a new polisher. I have always done things by hand. And I don't exactly have a lot of money to spend. So a good quality polisher that wont break the bank is needed. Please help.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: First Buffer

As you start out a lot of people begin with the Porter Cable and the Flex, I personally like rotaries. Metabo and Makita are my choices.

Post Thanks / Like

as a newb myself, I went with the Porter Cable 7424 that was in a kit. I got some extra pads. If you're nervous about the whole machine polishing thing, then the PC might be the best bet for you. If you're like me though, I read and watched so much prior to my purachase, that I felt more confident. I kinda wish I would have gone for the Flex DA, but the PC is a reliable, affordable tool that gives great results.

Good luck with your purchase.

Post Thanks / Like

Just bought my first also (about a month ago) and after much thought, I went with the Flex. Man am I glad I did. I really can't imagine that the PC is that much safer to use and from many comments the Flex is a smoother operating machine even though more powerful. One thing everyone I think will agree on is the Flex makes faster work on about any correction. The time savings alone made it worth the extra $$ to me. The + I understand on the PC side is the ability to use 4" pads which helps in tight corners but you buy a PC kit and then immediately have to start retrofiting to make it at its best. (Forgive this statement if any of the kits come with 4")
    What I can attest to is that the Flex/Menz kit removed pretty much all the swirls/scratches from my Porsche. And if any remained it was an oversight not an issue with the equipment. All I added to the order in terms of the polishing step is a couple extra/varying pads. I will note that I did not use the Glaze included in the kit as a fully corrected car needs no glaze. I plan to use that on my wifes tahoe since her swirls are light (car is new) and I'm too lazy to do a full correction on it right now.

I mean no disrespect to the PC or its owners, much of the work/pictures on this site were done with PC and were my motivation to proceed with at $500+ investment.

Either way, with the proper amount of time and polishing product, I think you can achieve like results, I just put a pretty high value on my weekend time.

Post Thanks / Like

So pretty much I have a choice between
    This: Porter Cable 7424 & Foam Pad Kit - Car Buffer
    or This: Dual Action Flex Polisher Kit, Lake Country Pads, Flex XC 3401 VRG Buffer

The flex is a lot more expensive, perhaps a little more expensive that I can afford. And I do kinda need those pads. =p

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kevzaz View Post
    So pretty much I have a choice between
    This: Porter Cable 7424 & Foam Pad Kit - Car Buffer
    or This: Dual Action Flex Polisher Kit, Lake Country Pads, Flex XC 3401 VRG Buffer

The flex is a lot more expensive, perhaps a little more expensive that I can afford. And I do kinda need those pads. =p
    If money is an issue and you are new to polishing go with your first choice! I still use my PC7424 and love it!

Post Thanks / Like

So money being an issue I can certainly understand going with the PC and I appologize I did not catch that statement in your initial post. To anxious to praise the Flex I guess.

One thing I notice though is you have mentioned no polishing products, just the buffer/pads. Do you already have polish(s)? If not, you may consider a kit that includes Menz. or some other products.

Post Thanks / Like

A good inexpensive polish for beginners using PC is XMT. Menzerna is a great line but "A" he is on a budget, and "B" he is a newbie!
    Last edited by Meghan; 08-19-2008 at 01:53 PM. Reason: I can't spell!

Post Thanks / Like

i'm new using a orbit buffer and i went with the PC7424 i would have to say i just used it on sunday and it was fun and easy to use. plus the price is right for a newbie detailer like me. i bought the PC7424 with 5.5 backing plate and CCS orange,white,gray, and blue pads.
    09 Subaru Sti (Lightning Red)
    06 Subaru Sti (Rally Blue)
    05 Scion XA RS2.0 (Spectra Blue Mica)

Post Thanks / Like

I completely agree with Meghan's post....I bought the XMT PC7424 kit and used it on my Audi last weekend. It did an awesome job and was easy to use. I also purchased some XMT360 to make it easier for a "half" detail. Although I absolutely love this forum, but everyone's situation is different. I chose the XMT after talking to Bobby at AG. It was between the XMT and the Wolfgang kit. How much detailing do you do?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast