autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Circles or Straight Lines?

I have been doing some research on this topic but have not found a "real" answer from general AUTOGEEK members, or the pro's. I would like you guys to answer with one of the three answers below, and your opinion on why you use this method over the other.

When applying a polish or wax with a foam applicator by hand, do you use circular motions or straight lines?

1. Circles.
    2. Straight Lines.
    3. Shouldn't matter.

Why do you use that method over the other?

I know alot of "pro's" say to use straight lines, but what is the reason behind it? If there was something under your pad, ie. "grit" then it wouldn't matter what direction your pad is moving, as you are going to scratch your surface, correct?

Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Circles or Straight Lines?

Im with you on this, i cant make up my mind. It seems like when i use Pinnacle Souveran, i use straight lines. With any other wax, such as my collinite, i usually use circular motion. I thought i heard that circular motion can induce more swirls, but i dont remember. The car should be clean so you shouldnt have to worry about dirt causing swirls if you waxing ...so i dunno

Post Thanks / Like

the theory is that straight line application reduces the chance of swirling and also it is suppose to reflect the light better if done in straight line....some sealants even say do in straight lines for the best looks...

the process is...top panels..roof...hood...trunk area do as the wind flows..front to rear...

side panels..do as the rain falls..top to bottom....

AL

Post Thanks / Like

straight lines ... less chance of swirls.

Post Thanks / Like

Straight or not swirls are swirls...Also the scratches are random but because of the light are seems as swirls...I prefer circle application just to be sure that i cover well the paint with the wax...

PERFECTION OF REFLECTION

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't you guys remember the Karate Kid? 'Nuff said.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by langridge View Post
    i love the part in that movie were he starts washing the car with out rinsing off all the dirt
    names tom i live in nj with my wife cindy .and our 3 children. samantha gabriella and little tom...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by langridge View Post

Mr,Miyaki knows best

PERFECTION OF REFLECTION

Post Thanks / Like

apply with small circles. buff off with straight lines.

Post Thanks / Like

Polish /Wax / Polymer Directional Application:
    What makes a scratch visible is the way light reflects from its microscopic peaks and valley’s are two-dimensional and the light reflects from them differently from the rest of the paint surface.

The reasoning behind hand polishing in one direction only is that unlike a machine polisher the pressure applied is not consistent, especially if you polish using circular motions. The inconsistent abraded pattern causes light to reflect unevenly thereby highlighting the abrasions or scratches

Order of product application- hood- roof-trunk from front to back and, where practical, the quarter panels- door panels- and bumpers from top to bottom. Washing, claying and waxing that way has to do with the way light reflects off the body panels and is also less likely to show the surface marring that you will invariably make.

Polishes- these products contain abrasives and should be applied in straight-line motions (Forget what Mr. Miyagi was teaching the Karate Kid) circular motions will cause circular directional marks (swirl marks) When an abrasive is applied by hand the pressure applied is uneven and the reflected light highlights the peaks and valleys differently.

Polymer sealant, Glaze or Wax- these products are all non-abrasive so direction of application won’t cause directional marks to the surface.

Machine application - when you abrade an area with a machine and a foam pad these abrasions form a uniform pattern (the machine /foam pad applies an even and consistent pressure) and light reflects from its surface evenly without any two-dimensional reflectance.

Optimising light refraction - apply product in ‘direction of airflow’, horizontal surfaces hood to trunk, vertical surfaces front to back. This application technique affects the paints optical properties by optimising the surface light refraction and the reflectivity of the bodylines and contours of the vehicle

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast