autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Detailed my car today, screwed up royally, need advice

I spent the better part of 7 hours completely detailing my car today. I washed it with Megs Gold Class wash, clayed it with Megs Smooth Surface Clay Kit, and polished it with my PC and Megs M80. I then topped it off with two coats of Opti-Seal. I think I am going to put coat of Souveran on tomorrow.

That said, as great as my car looks now, I screwed up pretty bad. I severely chipped the paint on 3 of my door handles when using the PC today. It took me bashing three of them before I figured out what I was doing wrong. I was wedging in my pad on the PC under my door handle to try and get those scratches underneath. What I wound up accomplishing was bashing my door handle with a metal part of the PC, chipping the paint down to the metal on three of my door handles, one of them really bad.

Do you think a body shop could literally remove the door handles from the car to repaint them? I'm not interested in having the door handles repainted on the car due to overspray issues, etc.

Any thoughts on the best way to rectify this would be greatly appreciated. As great as my car looks now, I can't help but focus on the damage I did. I won't be happy until I get it fixed!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailed my car today, screwed up royally, need advice

I dont see why a paint shop couldnt tape around the handle and repaint. The problem is trying to find a painter that would do such a small job for a resonable price.

Post Thanks / Like

Dont want to sound belligerent, but didnt you learn your lesson on the first handle or even the second? Stay away from tight areas and do it with a foam applicator by hand.

Post Thanks / Like

why not try some touch up paint first ??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Dont want to sound belligerent, but didnt you learn your lesson on the first handle or even the second? Stay away from tight areas and do it with a foam applicator by hand.

I have no defense, I am a moron, lol. Seriously though, after the first one, which wasn't too bad, I was a little more careful on the second, and sure enough, bam, did it again. I was real careful on the third, and really screwed that one up. I thought I was doing the damage by running over the door handle with the PC. Is was then that I realized the damage was coming from an exposed metal portion of the PC. LESSON LEARNED!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with killr, try some touch up paint first.

"Dogs in cars again. Going away. Going away fast" - P.D. Eastman, Go, Dog. Go!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post

Quote Originally Posted by brig2221 View Post
    I have no defense, I am a moron, lol. Seriously though, after the first one, which wasn't too bad, I was a little more careful on the second, and sure enough, bam, did it again. I was real careful on the third, and really screwed that one up. I thought I was doing the damage by running over the door handle with the PC. Is was then that I realized the damage was coming from an exposed metal portion of the PC. LESSON LEARNED!

Good wholesome entertainment reading the posts . I know of some that would have went four for four.
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Post Thanks / Like

1# As mentioned touch up if minor chips? 2# Or try removing the handles and repainting/clearing your self if there's a local auto body supply shop near by? 3# Or chrome covers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brig2221 View Post
    Do you think a body shop could literally remove the door handles from the car to repaint them?
    Why don't you remove them yourself for a respray...No matter the choice of painter...even if that winds up being you?
    Don't be nervous...Find an 'exploded-view' of the door-panels/cards for the locations of the door handles' attachment points.

For future reference: Besides using hand-techniques for those tight areas, there are other "tools" that might be useful. Perhaps even these might be of interest to you:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...n-buffing.html

Good Luck with your repairs!

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

4 year old thread bump.
    Jacob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast