autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Need some help shopping

Ok so I can't decide what to buy. I need some help so I can stop putting this order off and more importantly get my order in!

A little background first. I use to detail cars on the side back when I had access to a garage. I have a rotary buffer that i used to apply a light compound and then I would apply hand glaze and wax by hand. This was the way I was taught.

I like to step it up with a da. Either the pc or the flex. I will probably only be using it once or twice a month. So the flex may not even be needed since I will not be using it much and I have a rotary if I need the power.

Here's what I need my first order to cover.

I have a 2005 green truck with spider webbing and some swirls other then that the paint is good.

Also for the big project and I must be out of my mind... I'm buying a fully loaded 2008 black Cadillac cts this week. I would have went with another color but belive it or not I'm very lucky to even get one loaded because they can't be found anywhere.

Both vechices will be park outside. I live in Rhode island so it would be nice to have long protection thru the winter. So what products would be best to use? Do I buy the da with polish or buy with the pads for the kit to get the right pads needed.

Thanks in advanced for your time and help!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need some help shopping

first a d/a is a step down from rotary, not step up although safer choice for most. If the step is wanted, get the Flex or you might be disappointed with the length of time needed with PC.

As for the new black car. Hit it with a finishing polish like Menzerna and a light or medium pad at best. (car should be in relatively good shape). Dont forget to clay before its beneficial even on new. Protect it with a sealant for maximum durability. Maybe Wolfgang, or Four Star for ease of use on blacks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    first a d/a is a step down from rotary, not step up although safer choice for most. If the step is wanted, get the Flex or you might be disappointed with the length of time needed with PC.
    Sorry, that's not what I meant. I mean I only used the rotary for buffing coumpound and everything else I did was by hand so I should have said step up from hand polishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bridges View Post
    Sorry, that's not what I meant. I mean I only used the rotary for buffing coumpound and everything else I did was by hand so I should have said step up from hand polishing.

while a PC is much more valuable then hand polishing, I personally think most will want to upgrade to Flex over time and as such might be the better purchase initially. No wrong answer however.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    while a PC is much more valuable then hand polishing, I personally think most will want to upgrade to Flex over time and as such might be the better purchase initially. No wrong answer however.
    I will agree 100% as I'm ready to upgrade for my UDM (a small step up from the PC) to a Flex to speed up the process. I only detail my personal cars and family and friends and want it done faster.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok flex it is then. For the pads I was thinking this kit,
    Dual Action 6.5 inch XL Foam Pad Kit with CCS pads.

Now I just need to find a good polish kit or do we normally buy that separate?

Post Thanks / Like

Imho you should get this for light paint correction

German Final Gloss Combo

You would also need a claying kit and some buffing towels, perhaps a wax to top the sealant ?
    C200 CDI
    ML63 AMG
    S55 AMG Long
    SL55 AMG
    Yamaha R6
    Yamaha R1

Post Thanks / Like

theres a small kit of Menzerna with two offerings, usually quite popular.