autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Drying Aid -- microfibers over time? Cleaning?

I want to begin using a drying aid such as bead maker...I keep reading though that these are going to over time make microfiber towels useless.

Would a general strategy of having a "Dirty Microfiber" bucket that has water/rinseless/APC in it and throw all dirty towels in there until its time to wash them all work. I currently just have a draw that is labeled dirty and I throw everything in there until its time to put in the washing machine.

Is there any downside to leaving a microfiber in rinseless/APC for 3,4,6 weeks at a time since I dont run a wash until I have enough to make it worthwhile?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Drying Aid -- microfibers over time? Cleaning?

Quote Originally Posted by ps2cho View Post
    I want to begin using a drying aid such as bead maker...I keep reading though that these are going to over time make microfiber towels useless.

Would a general strategy of having a "Dirty Microfiber" bucket that has water/rinseless/APC in it and throw all dirty towels in there until its time to wash them all work. I currently just have a draw that is labeled dirty and I throw everything in there until its time to put in the washing machine.

Is there any downside to leaving a microfiber in rinseless/APC for 3,4,6 weeks at a time since I dont run a wash until I have enough to make it worthwhile?
    A big part of that equation is your environment that your rinseless/APC bucket will be living in; in Hawaii I generally couldn't get by with more than a week before stuff would start getting "sour", but in Alaska a bucket can sit for a considerable amount off time with zero harm and no apparent issues

3. Likes Karl_in_Chicago liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chilly View Post
    A big part of that equation is your environment that your rinseless/APC bucket will be living in; in Hawaii I generally couldn't get by with more than a week before stuff would start getting "sour", but in Alaska a bucket can sit for a considerable amount off time with zero harm and no apparent issues
    Thats a good thought....what I could do is throw them in the bucket, then when its full, fill it up, and soak for 24hrs.

What dilution should I use for APC for microfibers thats safe? In the washing machine I am using Rags to Riches

5. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ps2cho View Post
    Thats a good thought....what I could do is throw them in the bucket, then when its full, fill it up, and soak for 24hrs.

What dilution should I use for APC for microfibers thats safe? In the washing machine I am using Rags to Riches
    I have found that tossing damp towels in a covered bucket is just asking for funky stuff to happen unless it’s really cold where the bucket is

I toss them in a water and APC mix immediately as I think they are safer, longer, submerged in cleaning solution

I honestly don’t measure the APC, I usually put probably a half a cup in a bucket and start with the bucket half full of water to allow space for the towels

I think the quicker you get them soaking in APC the better chance you have of you topper or sealant or whatever not being able to bond with the microfiber

I’m sure everyone here has their own ritual

7. Likes Karl_in_Chicago liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd also lean toward soaking immediately. You can use Rags To Riches for that. I do that if I'm using any ceramic spray sealant or detailer. I just do an ounce per gallon.

I don't save the towels up and just do small loads.

9. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSnoop View Post
    I'd also lean toward soaking immediately. You can use Rags To Riches for that. I do that if I'm using any ceramic spray sealant or detailer. I just do an ounce per gallon.

I don't save the towels up and just do small loads.
    I use APC because I can get a gallon at Lowes for under $7 and it works

I use a dedicated microfiber detergent in the washing machine and honestly I probably should use it for soaking too

It’s not like it would break me financially, I don’t keep a soaking bucket going all the time anyway

I ran across a partial bottle of Calgon liquid laundry water softener in storage, that we used to use back in the day

A big shot of that stuff and Woolite liquid was the hot ticket for washing microfibers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I'm someone who tends to overthink things a lot, but in this case, I would say not to overcomplicate the matter.

Provided you wash the towels within a few hours of use with a dedicated microfiber detergent, you will not have adverse effects from using a spray sealant as a drying aid. No soaking, no APC, no multiple steps.

In my case, I have bucket with a gamma seal lid that I throw towels in while I'm detailing. After the session, I put the towels straight in the washing machine with P&S Rags to Riches. I've got towels that a 3+ years old that are still performing like new, I've even revived older towels using that detergent.

Post Thanks / Like

To answer your question: Yes, using a drying aid like Beadmaker, your drying towel will eventually become useless unless you use a drying aid, and even then it won’t work at 100% like it did brand new.

IME Rags 2 Riches doesn’t work at preventing it from happening.

These days I know which of my drying towels are still virgin and which ones have been impregnated by drying aids and I make sure my virgin towels never see any drying aids and vice versa. 95% of the time I prefer to dry with a virgin towel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    I've even revived older towels using that detergent.
    You must have special water in Australia, because I’ve soaked drying towels in a 5 gallon bucket with a gamma sealed lid w/5oz. of Rags 2 Riches for a week, then washed them in hot water and it made no difference to them. 1 of those towels now belongs to my cat. Lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Eldo!

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    1 of those towels now belongs to my cat. Lol.
    What kind of car does your cat have?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast