autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Steering Wheel Product Suggestion

Yeah, Scrub Ninjas are awesome! Spray some APC on your Scrub Ninja and twist that steering wheel like it's a throttle on a motorcycle and you'll be amazed at what comes offSteering Wheel Product Suggestion

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

2. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    From what I have noticed with dedicated leather cleaners, they can have slight stickiness to them. So I'm wondering if that is what you are feeling? In which case, using the brush go ahead and clean with Gyeon Leather Cleaner, which is apparently one of the better ones, then follow with a damp towel to remove any lingering cleaner residue. Follow with a leather conditioner.

Out of interest, do you happen to smoke? My father smokes and always leaves the steering wheel greasy after he drives one of my cars, and his steering wheel is always sticky.
    So right after I clean it the wheel is tacky/sticky but that quickly goes away and the next day I find the wheel slippery for a few days then it goes away and is normal.
    nope no smoking in my car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    A lot of good advise so far. One thing I'm wondering is how much product are you using? Too much product may end up saturating the leather and excess just sits on the surface and makes it slippery.

Have you ever given the wheel a good "deep" clean? I'd use something like the Scub Ninja Klasse suggested in conjunction with an APC diluted to a leather-safe ratio. Give it a good scrubbing and then follow up with your leather cleaning products. if you've never done something like this you'll be surprised by how much gunk will come off.

I owned a 2016 GTI and with probably the same wheel in your R. It was great quality leather and periodically using the APC followed up with a leather product kept it in great shape. Nice and grippy with a matte appearance.
    Its possible I may be using to much trying to get it clean. I have cleaned it fairly good I think because when I wipe it down with a microfiber you can see all the dirt coming off of it. But sounds like I may need to buy a Scrub Ninja which will be better then what I currently have.

5. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bryanviper View Post
    Its possible I may be using to much trying to get it clean. I have cleaned it fairly good I think because when I wipe it down with a microfiber you can see all the dirt coming off of it. But sounds like I may need to buy a Scrub Ninja which will be better then what I currently have.
    A Scrub Ninja isn't mandatory, but it would speed things up. I use one of my older MF towels that has lost most of its softness. Probably not as good, but it works. The other thing to think about is using an APC vs just the leather cleaner. The leather cleaner will be a lot more gentle and probably isn't getting the wheel totally clean and you need something a bit more aggressive. You don't have to do this all the time, but a couple times a year does wonders for me.

I learned this the hard way after buying a used car a few years ago. The first night home I gave the interior a good cleaning and hit the wheel with a leather cleaner. I could see grime on my towel and thought all was well. However, the next day I noticed it was still a bit shiny and didn't feel right to the touch. Out came the rough MF towel and the APC. After a good scrubbing my towel turned black and I was a little worried I was scrubbing off the leather's protective layer. Nope. It was just years of accumulated grime. When I was done the wheel looked and felt totally different. I followed up with my leather products and all was well from then on.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

7. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm probably doing it all wrong but in my *mind*, but when cleaning the steering wheel, whether cleaning or post water wipedown....I use easily a bakers dozen towels. Mainly as I'm only using a MF towel per quadrant area, and want to minimize spreading hand oils around.......eh, in my mind, the steering wheel is the only dirtiest part of the interior.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12