autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Steering Wheel Product Suggestion

Hello All,

Wondering if there are any good products I can use on my daily steering wheel? 2016 Golf R. The issue I'm having or wanting to resolve is I don't want a slick/slippery steering wheel. Normally after I clean it its slippery for a few days then it gets slightly better. I have used Gyeon Leather cleaner & nothing after but then ext day its slippery. I have also put a very light coating of Gtechniq leather gaurd to see if there is any difference but nope. For these reason I dont clean my wheel much.

I clearly must be using the wrong products or something? Any suggestions? The car is parked outside in the sun if that makes any difference.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Steering Wheel Product Suggestion

How are you applying that Gyeon Leather Cleaner?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not familiar with that Gyeon product, but the old standby used to be diluted Woolite. Have you tried just going over it with a (water) damp MF after using the Gyeon? If the slickness goes away on its own after a few days maybe you just need an additional wipe. Otherwise you might just try cleaning with a cockpit cleaner like Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer (QID), or one of the many similar light cleaners.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a wooden leather brush, so something similar to this to scrub it & wipe it away with a microfiber - GYEON Q2M Leather Horse Hair Brush | CARZILLA

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    How are you applying that Gyeon Leather Cleaner?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I'm not familiar with that Gyeon product, but the old standby used to be diluted Woolite. Have you tried just going over it with a (water) damp MF after using the Gyeon? If the slickness goes away on its own after a few days maybe you just need an additional wipe. Otherwise you might just try cleaning with a cockpit cleaner like Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer (QID), or one of the many similar light cleaners.
    Have not tried using a damp cloth after. Might be something to try.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd try using a scrub ninja to deep clean that wheel, sounds like whatever cleaner you are using isn't getting down in there Steering Wheel Product Suggestion

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

7. Likes Coatingsarecrack, chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Geist's leather cleaning and care products are very good. Their leather/vinyl cleaner paired with a Carpro InnerScrub Glove or Autofiber Scrub Ninja is a very affective combo.

I did apply some of Geist's leather conditioner to my wheel and while slightly slippery the leather is much more supple than it was before. If the slipperiness still remains after 7-10 days I may reclean the wheel and try Feynlab's leather treatment to see how it fares or go bare. A fourth option would be Polish Angel's Bellaclean.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah if wheel is shiny get a scrub ninja. I use P&S Xpress diluted 60/40 water/cleaner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bryanviper View Post
    Have not tried using a damp cloth after. Might be something to try.
    From what I have noticed with dedicated leather cleaners, they can have slight stickiness to them. So I'm wondering if that is what you are feeling? In which case, using the brush go ahead and clean with Gyeon Leather Cleaner, which is apparently one of the better ones, then follow with a damp towel to remove any lingering cleaner residue. Follow with a leather conditioner.

Out of interest, do you happen to smoke? My father smokes and always leaves the steering wheel greasy after he drives one of my cars, and his steering wheel is always sticky.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bryanviper View Post
    I have used Gyeon Leather cleaner & nothing after but then ext day its slippery. I have also put a very light coating of Gtechniq leather gaurd to see if there is any difference but nope. For these reason I dont clean my wheel much.
    A lot of good advise so far. One thing I'm wondering is how much product are you using? Too much product may end up saturating the leather and excess just sits on the surface and makes it slippery.

Have you ever given the wheel a good "deep" clean? I'd use something like the Scub Ninja Klasse suggested in conjunction with an APC diluted to a leather-safe ratio. Give it a good scrubbing and then follow up with your leather cleaning products. if you've never done something like this you'll be surprised by how much gunk will come off.

I owned a 2016 GTI and with probably the same wheel in your R. It was great quality leather and periodically using the APC followed up with a leather product kept it in great shape. Nice and grippy with a matte appearance.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

13. Likes chilly liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast