autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Glass cleaner + Magic Eraser + Cotton diaper + water spots = ?

I did a full-blown Spring Cleaning on the exterior of the wife's Escape yesterday and this morning. The sealants I had used in the Fall had given it up, and there was nothing left on the car, so I just let it air dry instead of using my drying towel (I hate drying an unprotected paint job - it can be a real pain). and besides, I was planning a paint enhancement polishing anyway.

Of course, the windows were COVERED in water spots, and I have semi-hard water at home, which means they are very stubborn and don't (usually) remove easily. I was thinking 0000 steel wool and glass cleaner, but suddenly it hit me - a magic eraser and glass cleaner. I lightly dampened an eraser with water, then a quick spray of cleaner, then scrubbed the exterior glass for a minute or two. Then I took a cotton diaper (I found an old stash in the basement), and figured they used to be the go-to for detailing, before microfibers, and I thought I'd give them a shot for old times sake.

So after about a minute of scrubbing, I wiped down the glass with the diaper. It worked as good as I remembered. The glass was crystal-clear and completely spot/streak free - and all I was trying to do was diminish the spots. This completely removed them and the glass was perfect, all without trying for perfection.

I guess to make a long story short, if you still have cotton diapers, keep them handy - they still work great.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

2. Likes bill walsh, Big Dave, chilly, Azure liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Glass cleaner + Magic Eraser + Cotton diaper + water spots = ?

Quote Originally Posted by Don M View Post
    I did a full-blown Spring Cleaning on the exterior of the wife's Escape yesterday and this morning. The sealants I had used in the Fall had given it up, and there was nothing left on the car, so I just let it air dry instead of using my drying towel (I hate drying an unprotected paint job - it can be a real pain). and besides, I was planning a paint enhancement polishing anyway.

Of course, the windows were COVERED in water spots, and I have semi-hard water at home, which means they are very stubborn and don't (usually) remove easily. I was thinking 0000 steel wool and glass cleaner, but suddenly it hit me - a magic eraser and glass cleaner. I lightly dampened an eraser with water, then a quick spray of cleaner, then scrubbed the exterior glass for a minute or two. Then I took a cotton diaper (I found an old stash in the basement), and figured they used to be the go-to for detailing, before microfibers, and I thought I'd give them a shot for old times sake.

So after about a minute of scrubbing, I wiped down the glass with the diaper. It worked as good as I remembered. The glass was crystal-clear and completely spot/streak free - and all I was trying to do was diminish the spots. This completely removed them and the glass was perfect, all without trying for perfection.

I guess to make a long story short, if you still have cotton diapers, keep them handy - they still work great.
    Genius

I would like to hear from others that have tried and had good results removing water spots or anything else on glass with steel wool

I scratched the crap out of a test spot on my 2017 Tacoma window