autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

THIS REALLY CHAPS MY HIDE - Another Rant Thread

TLDR: I hate low ballers and people who want work done for free

I was doing some yard work and noticed my neighbor across the street hand washing his car. I've been in my house for 9 years and this is the second time he's done that so it was a special occasion. Of course he wasn't washing the way any of us would and he was using one of those microfiber mop brushes. I cringed a bit but hey, at least he was hand washing his car. I continued taking care of my exquisitely manicured lawn and had to stop when he got to the drying portion. It was full sun and most of his car was dry and he pulled a pack of Costco microfiber towels out of his SUV. That's when I decided to intervene. I told him to rub his hand across his car and he could see how his hand dragged across the paint and I told him that if he did that with those cheap towels he was going to brutalize that baby soft Tesla paint. I grabbed one of my waffle weave towels, my old bottle of Adam's Graphene Detail Spray and showed him how to use it as a drying aid. It worked beautifully for him.

Then he shifted to his SUV. He has an ice cream/boba tea shop and was getting it wrapped tomorrow in his company's logo. I'm a good neighbor so I told him to bring it over and we could give it a good cleaning since he mentioned that the shop he was going to would only wash the sections that were to be covered with the vinyl logo and they weren't professional detailers. It was on the house. In the midst of this he decided that he wants to finally get his Tesla coated. Great. Take into consideration that I'm a home based detailer and because my operating costs are negligible my coating prices are about as low as you can get for a trained professional who is going to do the job right. I told him the price, and since he was my neighbor I was going to coat his windshield and trim on the house. He lowballed and asked if I could do it for $500. It's a $64,000 vehicle and he is by no means poor and as a business owner he fully understands how profit and loss works. I told him at that price I was throwing money away and then he retorted with $600. I held firm and he eventually realized that I wasn't coming down on my price but that got my blood boiling, as the old folks say. He eventually agreed to my price and everything was all good, or so I thought. We finished his SUV and he said I'll bring you the Tesla Sunday. You can do the coating and wipe down and vacuum the interior. Doing anything on the interior at no point was discussed as I have all but abandoned doing interior work. He continued and said to do the interior this time and he'll do it from here on out when I do maintenance washes on his car. I explained once again that I don't do interiors and even if I did, that would be an additional cost since it was not part of the coating price. After a bit of awkward silence he decided that he was going to do his interior the day before he drops it off. He's a nice guy. Our kids have played together many times but I absolutely hate low ballers and people that think that they can throw in some extras on a job for free. Sadly, this is the majority of the people around me. They will haggle to death on price and at times I just want to walk away from doing this as a side job and just take care of my vehicles.

Rant over. You can now return to your regularly scheduled programming.

2. Likes chilly, opie, bill walsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: THIS REALLY CHAPS MY HIDE - Another Rant Thread

i'm sure your services are well worth it, but some people don't understand the labor (and hard work) that goes into detailing. not to mention prices of products have gone up too. you know the saying, "you get what you pay for". some will have to find out the hard way...
    i am the jump starter.

4. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Grime View Post

I was doing some yard work and noticed my neighbor across the street hand washing his car. I've been in my house for 9 years and this is the second time he's done that so it was a special occasion. Of course he wasn't washing the way any of us would and he was using one of those microfiber mop brushes. I cringed a bit but hey, at least he was hand washing his car. I continued taking care of my exquisitely manicured lawn and had to stop when he got to the drying portion. It was full sun and most of his car was dry and he pulled a pack of Costco microfiber towels out of his SUV. That's when I decided to intervene. I told him to rub his hand across his car and he could see how his hand dragged across the paint and I told him that if he did that with those cheap towels he was going to brutalize that baby soft Tesla paint. I grabbed one of my waffle weave towels, my old bottle of Adam's Graphene Detail Spray and showed him how to use it as a drying aid. It worked beautifully for him.

Then he shifted to his SUV. He has an ice cream/boba tea shop and was getting it wrapped tomorrow in his company's logo. I'm a good neighbor so I told him to bring it over and we could give it a good cleaning since he mentioned that the shop he was going to would only wash the sections that were to be covered with the vinyl logo and they weren't professional detailers. It was on the house. In the midst of this he decided that he wants to finally get his Tesla coated. Great. Take into consideration that I'm a home based detailer and because my operating costs are negligible my coating prices are about as low as you can get for a trained professional who is going to do the job right. I told him the price, and since he was my neighbor I was going to coat his windshield and trim on the house. He lowballed and asked if I could do it for $500. It's a $64,000 vehicle and he is by no means poor and as a business owner he fully understands how profit and loss works. I told him at that price I was throwing money away and then he retorted with $600. I held firm and he eventually realized that I wasn't coming down on my price but that got my blood boiling, as the old folks say. He eventually agreed to my price and everything was all good, or so I thought. We finished his SUV and he said I'll bring you the Tesla Sunday. You can do the coating and wipe down and vacuum the interior. Doing anything on the interior at no point was discussed as I have all but abandoned doing interior work. He continued and said to do the interior this time and he'll do it from here on out when I do maintenance washes on his car. I explained once again that I don't do interiors and even if I did, that would be an additional cost since it was not part of the coating price. After a bit of awkward silence he decided that he was going to do his interior the day before he drops it off. He's a nice guy. Our kids have played together many times but I absolutely hate low ballers and people that think that they can throw in some extras on a job for free. Sadly, this is the majority of the people around me. They will haggle to death on price and at times I just want to walk away from doing this as a side job and just take care of my vehicles.

I don't know if you actually need the income from that particular job but if it had been me I would have politely walked away about 2 minutes in

Or go ahead and do it and then walk into his shop and start haggling over a glass of whatever it is he sells and see how he likes it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chilly View Post
    I don't know if you actually need the income from that particular job but if it had been me I would have politely walked away about 2 minutes in

Or go ahead and do it and then walk into his shop and start haggling over a glass of whatever it is he sells and see how he likes it
    I entertained both of these options. Sadly, due to the payroll department of Cabarrus County Schools royally screwing my school, I will have to go a month without pay this summer. While I have enough set aside to get me through that month, this job will give me a bit of a cushion going into summer.

7. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I entertained both of these options. Sadly, due to the payroll department of Cabarrus County Schools royally screwing my school, I will have to go a month without pay this summer so. While I have enough set aside to get me through that month, this job will give me a bit of a cushion going into summer.
    I worked for a school district in the bush of Alaska for 8 years and I know exactly where you are coming from

Hope it all works out

9. Likes Optimus Grime liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I lost my oldest friend over how cheap and selfish he is! I have done so much for him for free and literally detailed his exterior, everything shy of a full body buff. The last time I spent 3 hours to wash his van and dress all his plastic and tires for free. Then told him a ridiculous price to coat his van that was just starting to show clear coat failure on his roof. I let him know what it would typically cost him. I explained that it would be much easier to coat the paint and the plastic at the same time since I just prepped it for nothing. After he said his main concern was the small failure on the roof, I explained it was only going to start spreading. Being his car was coming up on 9 years old, I told him I would match the paint and spray the small affected area and also add clear coat. Then I would coat the whole van and all the plastic. Finally out of frustration I told him how ungrateful he always is and how cheap he is. I wanted to really tell him off and kept it short and sweet! He is by no means even middle class. He had just spent $800 at Nordstrom's on a pair of lame @ss boots!
    But he hasn't called me since. Going on 2 months when we talk almost daily!!!

11. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

one thing Mike would talk about is adding more gaps paragraphs so it makes your words easier to read. Most are reading on a tablet or phone. Not trying to flame just food for thought.

If people always trying to haggle in your area I would up my prices. Some people won’t engage unless the get a “Deal”. Just like a hundred so as if someone wants to haggle you can give them $100 off with a “that’s the best I’m willing to do with the time and services involved”.

Also what would you normally charge for a Tesla?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Likes Big Dave, bill walsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

True, for some people it's not about what you're charging them, it's about how much they talked you down. But if you have your prices listed, and you raise them to allow haggle room, you could lose customers because not everyone wants to haggle.

You'll always struggle to get money out of the very wealthy, that's how they stay that way.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

16. Likes chilly, Tasmania liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    one thing Mike would talk about is adding more gaps paragraphs so it makes your words easier to read. Most are reading on a tablet or phone. Not trying to flame just food for thought.

If people always trying to haggle in your area I would up my prices. Some people won’t engage unless the get a “Deal”. Just like a hundred so as if someone wants to haggle you can give them $100 off with a “that’s the best I’m willing to do with the time and services involved”.

Also what would you normally charge for a Tesla?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Point taken. I think my wordiness is a carryover from my days preparing 4th graders for the NC writing test. It was all about elaboration and that has stuck with me ever since.

I'm fine with my coating prices. Before I started, I checked with my mentor on pricing and he thinks I'm at a good spot but few people ever venture over to my website to see them. 90% of inquirers find me on google, see that I have a good rating and call me without taking the time to see what I charge. These days I stick to paint corrections and coatings because if I'm going to sacrifice my weekend it's gotta be worth it to me and I foolishly assume that people understand that these services are labor and time intensive and will understand my absolutely reasonable prices. You know what they say about making assumptions.

It's a 5 seater Model Y. I'd normally charge $700 for Mohs which is an extremely fair price in my area.

18. Likes chilly, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast