autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: THIS REALLY CHAPS MY HIDE - Another Rant Thread

Quote Originally Posted by DanaDetailingPros View Post
    I lost my oldest friend over how cheap and selfish he is! I have done so much for him for free and literally detailed his exterior, everything shy of a full body buff. The last time I spent 3 hours to wash his van and dress all his plastic and tires for free. Then told him a ridiculous price to coat his van that was just starting to show clear coat failure on his roof. I let him know what it would typically cost him. I explained that it would be much easier to coat the paint and the plastic at the same time since I just prepped it for nothing. After he said his main concern was the small failure on the roof, I explained it was only going to start spreading. Being his car was coming up on 9 years old, I told him I would match the paint and spray the small affected area and also add clear coat. Then I would coat the whole van and all the plastic. Finally out of frustration I told him how ungrateful he always is and how cheap he is. I wanted to really tell him off and kept it short and sweet! He is by no means even middle class. He had just spent $800 at Nordstrom's on a pair of lame @ss boots!
    But he hasn't called me since. Going on 2 months when we talk almost daily!!!
    I've done work for quite a few friends but I pretty much do it at cost. I don't want it to ever feel like a business transaction and thankfully none of my friends have ever acted in this manner. Sometimes life is quite a contradiction. The people that want the most are willing to pay the least.

Post Thanks / Like

I look back and realize how grateful I must've been to have my best client. He never haggle with me,always happily paid,and even tipped

He must've been the exception to the rule

If I detailed for pay now I better not expect that I bet clients like the one I had have died off.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

3. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    If people always trying to haggle in your area I would up my prices. Some people won’t engage unless the get a “Deal”. Just like a hundred so as if someone wants to haggle you can give them $100 off with a “that’s the best I’m willing to do with the time and services involved”.
    But isn't that part of the reason Optimus had this problem with his neighbor? That everyone assumes there's "like a hundred" padded into the job, that they can haggle off?

5. Likes chilly, bill walsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    But isn't that part of the reason Optimus had this problem with his neighbor? That everyone assumes there's "like a hundred" padded into the job, that they can haggle off?
    I think they're just cheap and it's a cultural thing. Several people in the service industry in my area have had the same issues. The guy who maintained my lawn when I first bought my house had many people in this "group" as customers and dropped them all because of how cheap they were, how much they tried to underpay how and how difficult they were to deal with.

I don't think they look at my prices as being "padded". One guy stopped me while I was working on a car and inquired about having his car coated. He had a previous vehicle done for $1500 and I quoted him at $750 which is my standard price for a vehicle of that size. Still too high. If they can't talk you down from your price, they will search until they find someone who will, even if it means sacrificing quality.

Post Thanks / Like

I worked for a guy running his bicycle shop for about a year and then opened up my own shop when he closed down and moved out of state

We had a price board that was a real time saver because 90% of what we did was routine maintenance and the prices were clearly marked on the board, as well as the hourly shop rate and the minimum 1/2 hour labor charge

The only deviation was flat tires, they had separate prices by size and type

When someone started to try and beat me down on price I didn't even engage, I would simply point to the board and continue with whatever I was doing

The choice to have the work done or not was up to them and some people got all bent out of shape and walked out but I honestly believe in the long run we didn't lose a dime by sticking to the prices we knew were fair but that made us money

The people that got bent out of shape were invariably bringing in a rusted out Huffy or K Mart bike that had sat outside all winter and they wanted it "tuned up" for next to nothing and the shop costs to fix it were usually more than they paid for the bike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chilly View Post

The people that got bent out of shape were invariably bringing in a rusted out Huffy or K Mart bike that had sat outside all winter and they wanted it "tuned up" for next to nothing and the shop costs to fix it were usually more than they paid for the bike
    This is why I no longer do interiors, except for a very few pleasant customers. The people with the absolute worst cars want them cleaned for insanely low prices.
    I was trained by a couple of guys that have been detailing for 15+ years. They survived the crash of 2008 and covid so they’re not only top notch detailers, they understand how to run and grow a business. Most people would lose their minds if they were quoted prices similar to those two, but they understand what to charge to cover all their fees and still make a profit.

I really wish these young detailers would up their prices to the point that they can stay in business for more than a year or two. I don’t need the money and it does rub me the wrong way when people haggle but I can walk away because I’ve got a decent salary from teaching.

9. Likes chilly, bill walsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've had people want to haggle with me. Actually, I expect it. I remained open to it as long as it was done politely although I very rarely did budge on my price. That might happen if and only if you are someone I know or are a good,repeat customer.

I know it's a bummer when you hope for a lower price when you think the asking price is just a bit too steep. Happened with the guy who trimmed my trees. He wouldn't do one tree in its entirety so I had him do only what we agreed upon which included several smaller trees. I was disappointed but the job got mostly done. I can always look for someone else next time. I do respect the guy for being firm on his price. He gets enough business
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

11. Likes chilly, Optimus Grime, bill walsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I've had people want to haggle with me. Actually, I expect it. I remained open to it as long as it was done politely although I very rarely did budge on my price. That might happen if and only if you are someone I know or are a good,repeat customer.
    I actually do budge on my price but it's never for the hagglers. I had a nice guy who took the time to visit my website, check my prices and submit a request via my contact page. We talked and I came out and looked at his car and because it was such a pleasant encounter I knocked $50 off for the hell of it. I'll often throw in some really nice bonuses when I do a coating for the customers that are cool with my absolutely reasonable prices. They typically walk away with about $100 in supplies to get them started on their maintenance journey and my trademark is a follow up maintenance wash tutorial on the house. My customers that don't haggle always get more than they pay for but the sheer number of lowballers is driving me insane.

Just this past Friday a lady called me because she wants to sell her car and get it cleaned so she can get top dollar. She specifically asked for a clay bar treatment and we all know that can easily run $200 in my area. I'm well below that price but she just kept on saying "but it's a small car" or "that's more than I was looking to pay." These are the people I can't deal with. They want top dollar service at rock bottom prices.

13. Likes chilly, bill walsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Vehicles are appliances to 99% of people. Paying to have a vehicle done is way low on the budget list. The other 1% care and will do what it takes to maintain a great looking vehicle.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

15. Likes chilly, bill walsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In my line of business, there are guys who literally work for nothing. I let them do it. I charge people a fair price considering my time and cost. Some think I'm high, others think I'm cheap.

17. Likes chilly liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast