autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tunnel wash rant - Free speech thread

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    I do have one of those as well, but even at its lowest height it's too high for the Nissan, but it's a good height for the FJ, but then the extra width of the FJ makes it a pain to move it around it inside the garage. Also our driveway has a reasonably steep angle and I don't trust the legs, even with the locking mechanism, to not fold under on an angled surface. I'm sure there's something in the instructions about only using it on a level surface.

I find myself just using my favourite tub, it's easier to step up and down from, I can kick it into whatever position I need it in, and for some reason it grips our painted driveway really well, even when it's wet and soapy. It also doubles as a spray painting table.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk
    Wow, you must weigh half of what I do if you can use that

Or the Oz version is wayyyyy tougher

Tunnel wash rant - Free speech thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chilly View Post
    Wow, you must weigh half of what I do if you can use that

Or the Oz version is wayyyyy tougher

Tunnel wash rant - Free speech thread

I don't think it's the Oz one being tougher, I think it's the old one being tougher, remember the old saying they don't make them like they used to, well I got this back in 1988, at my first job, they had bought some new trolleys and tubs just before I started there, I remember them being brand new when I started there. Somehow I accidentally took one home, back in the late 90s. But it does seem to hold my 113kg/250lb frame fine.

These days they try to figure out how to make them as flimsy as possible, if it ever breaks, I'm screwed, I won't be able to replace it. I thought I'd lost it once, my silly nephew gave it to a friend to store stuff in, and he knew I used it to wash the FJ, who does that. I made him get it back.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

3. Thanks chilly thanked for this post
    Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hooked View Post
    Like a decade ago, my wife bought me one of those folding platforms so I can get to the front and back of the roof of my CUV without having to get down and move it. While watching a detailing video, the guy was using one of these and the legs locked into place automatically. I thought since mine was older, it was made before people figured out it was kind of dangerous to have the legs free to fold if you didn’t open them up all the way. I was actually thinking of replacing mine for one of these newfangled locking ones. Fast forward a few months later and my daughter was helping me wash the car. At the end I asked her to fold up the platform and she was having trouble. When I went over, she asked me what the buttons on the corners were for. I didn’t remember any buttons and when I looked…it was the locking mechanism for the legs!!!!

Attachment 77264
    I've got one of these, too. I believe mine is from Werner. These work great for SUV's, but honestly, I switched back to my smaller fold up step ladder because it's so much easier to get out of the garage and move around.

5. Likes chilly, Big Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Azure View Post
    I've got one of these, too. I believe mine is from Werner. These work great for SUV's, but honestly, I switched back to my smaller fold up step ladder because it's so much easier to get out of the garage and move around.
    I have been wanting one of the scaffolds and with the new car being so big I may break down and buy one

But if I buy one and like it I would most likely buy a second one so I didn't have to keep moving it side to side

I hope my step ladders are enough because I Have other things I could spend that much money on

7. Likes Azure, Big Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Azure View Post
    I actually put a small plastic stool next to the platform to step on getting on and off the platform. My old knees ain’t what they used to be. I only have to move them once from one side to the other so I don’t mind the size and weight. I only have to wash my personal cars so it’s not worth it to buy two.

9. Likes chilly, Big Dave, Azure liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is was shared in a facebook detailing group. Looks like they've moved on from wash and scratch to ding and dent.

11. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Grime View Post
    This is was shared in a facebook detailing group. Looks like they've moved on from wash and scratch to ding and dent.

Inevitable, given the state of maintenance (or lack thereof) I have seen in so many self serve car washes

Post Thanks / Like

On YouTube I got served up a couple auto-car wash crash videos. It’s like the cars had had enough of the tunnel wash abuse and went kamikaze on them! Lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Typical tunnel wash

SOMETHING doesn’t get cleaned or rinsed

Post Thanks / Like

People are so hell bent on getting others to do manual labor at the cheapest price possible. I’m not sure if it makes them feel of higher status or what.

Glad to see I’m not the only one that loves to stripe the lawn. Been mowing the lawn since I begged to take over at age 9-10 or somewhere around there at my parents first house.

Random pics from different dates:

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    1999 Camaro Z28

16. Likes Big Dave, BudgetPlan1, oneheadlite, chilly liked this post
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast