autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tunnel wash rant - Free speech thread

Quote Originally Posted by chilly View Post
    Without a floor drain in my garage I have to depend on the touchless near me to keep the bottom blasted off during the winter but I want to look into one of the undercarriage sprayer attachments for my pressure washer for the remainder of the year
    I like this one. It’s a great undercarriage cleaner but doubles as a water broom for patio and porch cleaning. I also discovered that if you invert it, it makes a fantastic concrete cleaner. It easily outperforms my dedicated concrete surface cleaner.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-Pr...1211/300701617

2. Thanks chilly thanked for this post
    Likes chilly, hooked liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That’s a cool toy. I guarantee if I got one I’d be the only one in my neighborhood with one.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

4. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Grime View Post
    I like this one. It’s a great undercarriage cleaner but doubles as a water broom for patio and porch cleaning. I also discovered that if you invert it, it makes a fantastic concrete cleaner. It easily outperforms my dedicated concrete surface cleaner.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-Pr...1211/300701617
    Nice, that looks simple and efficient and they have them in stock at the closest HD store

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Just out of curiosity, Chilly, how far away is the closest HD store? Here in NJ we're the most densely populated state, so "closest" might be a little different.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Just out of curiosity, Chilly, how far away is the closest HD store? Here in NJ we're the most densely populated state, so "closest" might be a little different.
    12-14 miles depending on which of 3 routes I take, according to Apple Maps

It is in a neighboring town and for Alaska, that is considered right down the street

Post Thanks / Like

I think maybe one of the reasons we don't see people washing their own vehicles is because so many driveways are now filled with SUVs. They are definitely not as easy to wash as traditional sedans, wagons or hatchbacks. I'm average height, 5'9.5", yes, the .5 is important, and I can only just reach the middle of the roof of our Nissan Qashqai (Rogue Sport), and I have long arms. To make sure it's properly cleaned and dried I often use a heavy plastic tub to stand on. So probably half, or more, of the people who own SUVs are shorter than me and it's too much trouble to wash their SUVs and don't want to go to the trouble of finding something to stand on, so they go through an automated car wash, or pay someone to do it for them.

On lawn care, there are a few houses in my neighbourhood that are absolutely meticulous about it, I pass this house quite often, and the guy is out mowing a lot, he likes the strips as well, he uses a cylinder mower like this. Up close his lawn looks like a cricket pitch or golf green. The picture of his lawn is from Google Street view, which normally makes things look worse. The same street also won the prize for the best Christmas light displays in our state.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

9. Thanks chilly thanked for this post
    Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    I think maybe one of the reasons we don't see people washing their own vehicles is because so many driveways are now filled with SUVs. They are definitely not as easy to wash as traditional sedans, wagons or hatchbacks. I'm average height, 5'9.5", yes, the .5 is important, and I can only just reach the middle of the roof of our Nissan Qashqai (Rogue Sport), and I have long arms. To make sure it's properly cleaned and dried I often use a heavy plastic tub to stand on. So probably half, or more, of the people who own SUVs are shorter than me and it's too much trouble to wash their SUVs and don't want to go to the trouble of finding something to stand on, so they go through an automated car wash, or pay someone to do it for them.

On lawn care, there are a few houses in my neighbourhood that are absolutely meticulous about it, I pass this house quite often, and the guy is out mowing a lot, he likes the strips as well, he uses a cylinder mower like this. Up close his lawn looks like a cricket pitch or golf green. The picture of his lawn is from Google Street view, which normally makes things look worse. The same street also won the prize for the best Christmas light displays in our state.

I’m right there with you on this one

Unless I can stand in an opened doorway and reach the center plus a bit I use this

I hate leaning on a wet soapy car and possibly causing scratches just from my clothes rubbing against the car

I’ve got another matching Kobalt that’s a step or two taller for anything higher than an SUV

I’ll use both together, one on each side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Likes Big Dave, Azure liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Like a decade ago, my wife bought me one of those folding platforms so I can get to the front and back of the roof of my CUV without having to get down and move it. While watching a detailing video, the guy was using one of these and the legs locked into place automatically. I thought since mine was older, it was made before people figured out it was kind of dangerous to have the legs free to fold if you didn’t open them up all the way. I was actually thinking of replacing mine for one of these newfangled locking ones. Fast forward a few months later and my daughter was helping me wash the car. At the end I asked her to fold up the platform and she was having trouble. When I went over, she asked me what the buttons on the corners were for. I didn’t remember any buttons and when I looked…it was the locking mechanism for the legs!!!!

Tunnel wash rant - Free speech thread-img_1439-jpeg

13. Likes Big Dave, chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That looks just like my platform ladder. I hope to use it to work on my dad’s Jeep
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

15. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hooked View Post
    Like a decade ago, my wife bought me one of those folding platforms so I can get to the front and back of the roof of my CUV without having to get down and move it. While watching a detailing video, the guy was using one of these and the legs locked into place automatically. I thought since mine was older, it was made before people figured out it was kind of dangerous to have the legs free to fold if you didn’t open them up all the way. I was actually thinking of replacing mine for one of these newfangled locking ones. Fast forward a few months later and my daughter was helping me wash the car. At the end I asked her to fold up the platform and she was having trouble. When I went over, she asked me what the buttons on the corners were for. I didn’t remember any buttons and when I looked…it was the locking mechanism for the legs!!!!

Tunnel wash rant - Free speech thread-img_1439-jpeg
    I do have one of those as well, but even at its lowest height it's too high for the Nissan, but it's a good height for the FJ, but then the extra width of the FJ makes it a pain to move it around it inside the garage. Also our driveway has a reasonably steep angle and I don't trust the legs, even with the locking mechanism, to not fold under on an angled surface. I'm sure there's something in the instructions about only using it on a level surface.

I find myself just using my favourite tub, it's easier to step up and down from, I can kick it into whatever position I need it in, and for some reason it grips our painted driveway really well, even when it's wet and soapy. It also doubles as a spray painting table.

17. Likes chilly liked this post
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast