autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tunnel wash rant - Free speech thread

Like some of you I’m getting older (68) and trying not to slow down so I do as much as I can on my own although I pay the dealer for oil changes and things like that partly because I can financially after a lifetime of scrimping and saving and partly because I just don’t want to do it anymore

One of my jobs I continue to do, and the one my wife gives me the most crap about, is changing over the wheel sets each fall and spring. I do that myself because the rattle gun monkeys at the tire shop don’t give the tiniest damn about trashing the finish on my wheels and “torquing” the fasteners to whatever the impact maxes out at

The day will come that I’ll have to pay for that but I’m putting it off as long as possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes bill walsh, Odrapnew liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ugh, tires is one thing I cringe to think about because this Fall I have to get new ones. I don’t look forward to the anxiety I’m going to feel worrying if the tech is going to damage my wheels or torque them too tight even though I’ll be going to the shop that’s pretty good about things and did a lot of work on my Cadillac. Like always, I’m going to have to stress to them to be super careful. I even tip them. It’s just not a pleasant overall experience for me. The curse of being an Autogeek.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

4. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    Ugh, tires is one thing I cringe to think about because this Fall I have to get new ones. I don’t look forward to the anxiety I’m going to feel worrying if the tech is going to damage my wheels or torque them too tight even though I’ll be going to the shop that’s pretty good about things and did a lot of work on my Cadillac. Like always, I’m going to have to stress to them to be super careful. I even tip them. It’s just not a pleasant overall experience for me. The curse of being an Autogeek.
    That’s one reason I spend the bucks up front for studded tires and a wheel set for winter for each car

They only get one chance to mess up my rims

Tunnel wash rant - Free speech thread

It actually saves me money in the long run because they charge $110-125 each time for a changeover, times twice a year, and your $800 worth of wheels is paid for in 4 years

I know your situation is different and I damn near need a sedative when I buy new tires

Post Thanks / Like

I deal only with the head mechanic and now he knows how nuts I am about my cars. I’m hoping he’s the one who will be doing my tires.

I’m going to cast this out of my mind for now because I have many months before I have to face it

7. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Grime View Post
    It’s a frame of mind. I remember growing up seeing my dad always working with his hands. He was cutting the grass, changing the brakes on our cars, reloading his bullets or working with his garage full of man tools. I don’t see that anymore.
    For me, it was my dad and maternal grandfather. My dad's "baby," was a 1965 Plymouth Satellite, in brilliant red w/383 4bbl and a 4-speed. He was meticulous with that car. And my grandfather had everything but a lift or pit in his garage to work on his cars (needless to say, "going to see grandpa," for me, was code for: "I'm going to work on my car").

We never seemed to want for anything, but still we were by no means 'well-off,' so DIY was the way to make our means stretch. My dad/grandfather always did at least 90% of any work needed on their cars - probably more than that, and some of that attitude stuck with me for a long time, until cars got so computerized and the parts all crammed tight together that you need to disassemble half the car to get at what you need to fix/replace. For example: My thermostat is bad in the Camaro, but every How-To shows that you need to remove the intake manifold (in my case the supercharger) to access the 'stat and sending unit. A big NO for me.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

9. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don M View Post
    For me, it was my dad and maternal grandfather. My dad's "baby," was a 1965 Plymouth Satellite, in brilliant red w/383 4bbl and a 4-speed. He was meticulous with that car. And my grandfather had everything but a lift or pit in his garage to work on his cars (needless to say, "going to see grandpa," for me, was code for: "I'm going to work on my car").

We never seemed to want for anything, but still we were by no means 'well-off,' so DIY was the way to make our means stretch. My dad/grandfather always did at least 90% of any work needed on their cars - probably more than that, and some of that attitude stuck with me for a long time, until cars got so computerized and the parts all crammed tight together that you need to disassemble half the car to get at what you need to fix/replace. For example: My thermostat is bad in the Camaro, but every How-To shows that you need to remove the intake manifold (in my case the supercharger) to access the 'stat and sending unit. A big NO for me.
    I hear you

When we moved into the new house I had to empty my big tool roll cab and when I was putting everything back I kind of got nostalgic about the distributor clamp wrenches and set of points adjusting wrenches and stuff like that

Too many specialized “use once” tools needed anymore

11. Likes Don M, bill walsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I should have also said, that when I hear the word "buff," it makes me think of wax or polish REMOVAL, as in 'buffing off.'
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

13. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

i have a separate tool box with just pre 2000 tools and testers in the garage after 55 years of working on cars and trucks

15. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bill D YOU CAN ASK THEM TO USE A TORQUE STICK TO TIGHTEN LUG NUTS

17. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I will definitely keep that in mind!

19. Likes chilly liked this post
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast