autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Pads? Polishes? I need a system!

Hey guys. I need some help picking pads and polishes. I've got a Flex XC 3401 VRG (DA orbital polisher) and used to have, what seemed like a good system... at least an easy-to-use system. A company that isn't around anymore sold polishes (four levels from cut to polish) and corresponding pads. The compounds/polishes were color matched to the pads. It was so easy - start with a white pad and the white bottle, then the orange pad and bottle... finish up with the black pad and black bottle.

Fast forward 10 years, I'm out of pads, the bottles are empty... and I haven't a clue what to buy.

I do only my cars. Most of what I did then and expect to do is just the final three (even two) steps - light correction and final polish (then a sealant).

Is there a "system" that you guys think would be good for a slightly (barely) experienced DIYer?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pads? Polishes? I need a system!

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan View Post
    Hey guys. I need some help picking pads and polishes. I've got a Flex XC 3401 VRG (DA orbital polisher) and used to have, what seemed like a good system... at least an easy-to-use system. A company that isn't around anymore sold polishes (four levels from cut to polish) and corresponding pads. The compounds/polishes were color matched to the pads. It was so easy - start with a white pad and the white bottle, then the orange pad and bottle... finish up with the black pad and black bottle.

Fast forward 10 years, I'm out of pads, the bottles are empty... and I haven't a clue what to buy.

I do only my cars. Most of what I did then and expect to do is just the final three (even two) steps - light correction and final polish (then a sealant).

Is there a "system" that you guys think would be good for a slightly (barely) experienced DIYer?

Thanks!
    With your flex machine you could takle alot with, lake country force pads,Orange light cutting pad and white polishing pad. Abrasives i use and really work well with that machine and pad combo , for me atleast is 3d aca 510(compound) and 3d aca 520(polish).

I use alot of lc force white pad with 3d 520.

Checkout detailedimage.com, they are currently running 25% off for another day i think.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks opie. Do you use the LC Force white pad (light cutting) and the 3D 520 as the final stage - and not followed by a black (no cutting) pad?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

i am the jump starter.

5. Likes Manhattan, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks opie. Do you use the LC Force white pad (light cutting) and the 3D 520 as the final stage - and not followed by a black (no cutting) pad?

Thanks!
    Correct, white lc force and 3d 520 is my final step for correction. I have never needed anything further. 6 section passes with that setup, and bam..done and onto the next section lol

7. Likes dlc95, Eric7810, Manhattan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What was your old system?

These days I toggle between two, and have an honorable mention.

My "go to" is selected from the 3D range of products.
    AAT502 is my fine polish.
    3D ONE is my "medium"
    ACA500 is mu heavy

I'm using them mostly with the Rupes Wool and their yellow and white foams. Nota fan of their ultra stiff blue foam. They introduced an intermediate blue pad recently, and I'd like to check that out once available.

I also use Optimum
    Hyper Polish
    Hyper Compound

I tend to use these with Buff and Shine Grip Pads (basic flats) blue for polishing, green for cutting. I also have some LC Purple Foamed Wool Pads for even heavier stuff, but I've had luck with the green.

Honorable mention is Meguiar's.
    I use the above more because they are trim friendly and I hate taping off that stuff.
    Ultimate Polish
    M205
    Ultimate Compound
    M110

They have a permanent place in my shelf. Using the Ultimate line and M205 is like riding a bicycle. They're what I came out of my hiatus with in 2013.

9. Thanks Manhattan thanked for this post
    Likes opie, DanaDetailingPros, John U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    This is my vote if you have to stick to only one brand. I love Griots BOSS products.

I'm not so loyal to any one pad brand, but have found the Rupes yellow pads to be very versatile and I really like the shape and firmness of the foam.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

11. Likes Manhattan, DFB liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Damn guys... this is great. Thank you. I'm thinking I'll go all in on the Groit's system. Then, as I get a few more cars under my belt, I'll try other brands. Right now, I've really got no baseline - no way to compare how good the pads and compounds/polishes are - beyond the simplicity of that system I used before.

Oh, that company... Varigon was the name. It was started by two very good, very seasoned detailers. They caught the attention of a couple car guys (with money) who invested, worked with them to develop a simple(r) system, a line of products, etc. In the end, I think the founders and investors had a different vision.

13. Thanks dlc95 thanked for this post
    Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Damn guys... this is great. Thank you. I'm thinking I'll go all in on the Groit's system. Then, as I get a few more cars under my belt, I'll try other brands. Right now, I've really got no baseline - no way to compare how good the pads and compounds/polishes are - beyond the simplicity of that system I used before.

Oh, that company... Varigon was the name. It was started by two very good, very seasoned detailers. They caught the attention of a couple car guys (with money) who invested, worked with them to develop a simple(r) system, a line of products, etc. In the end, I think the founders and investors had a different vision.
    I would go with the Griots boss creams but with the flex forced rotation I wouldn’t use their pads. There reallly designed more for free spinning long throw polishers not forced rotation short throw.

I just got the cordless version of the flex forced rotation and the LC force pads in orange and white.

To not I have the griots g15 (free spinning long throw) and 10/10 of orange and yellow boss pads with most pads new in pack. Still bought the LC pad for new machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Likes opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Crack is correct in his above statement. I remember reading that somewhere.

The LC force pads are thicker, they work better on that type of machine i think

17. Likes bill walsh, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast